Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Discounts & Frugality
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Dollar stretching strategies
Coupons 11 25.58%
Discount stores 26 60.47%
Side hustle 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 PM
He's my heart

I am what some call an "extreme couponer". I print , clip , and use digital coupons. I get all the ads time together to compare to see where the best deals are. I have gotten to the point of getting at least 75% off my orders working on getting better.

Clothes I do a lot online and use ebates along with coupon codes to get the best deals.

I make and locally sell laundry and dishwasher detergents. I also make and sell hair bows, tutus, and blankets. The money I make I save.

I give myself a monthly budget that I don't go over but if I am over I put it into savings. The budget help s a lot to keep me in line.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 01:49 AM

I do the homemade laundry soap as well. I found a bottle of lavender oil to add to it and it gives it that fresh smell. It was expensive, about $7 for a little bottle, but you really only use a few drops.

Bread stores: Remember ladies, that stuff they put in the bags all scrunched up and sell as bird bread...take it home, dry it out. In the oven at 200. You can use it for home made stuffing, croutons, Have a coffee grinder, use it to make bread crumbs.

or freeze it and use it for breakfast casseroles, bread pudding, meatloaf etc... Just cause it is past it's sale date doesn't mean it's still not good. It still has a good couple of days to a week before it starts to mold.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:17 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

Wow! I am seriously impressed by all the wonderful ideas. I loved the thrift store bread, too!

Michele
Old 04-11-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsMrs View Post
I voted coupons, but I actually buy in-bulk from Amazon.com and they offer instant coupons on alot of items. I just started this b/c they gave me a store card and I needed a way to get household stuff and school books but not have to pay now (F/T student, 2 kids, no income). When I was shopping I compared the same products at Wal-mart and I am getting a better deal. Being a Prime member, I don't pay shipping costs either.

Details please...did you sign up for this on the site? Is there a membership fee?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,338 Times in 3,003 Posts

There is a fee to be prime but it gives you free 2 day shipping. I also get all my basics on amazon. 15% discount off good price. You just buy in bulk.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 PM

Some research and I found that you can buy case lots from dollar tree.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 AM
one day......

Awesome thread... motivates me to keep trying to stay within budget & try to pay down as much of my CC debt as possible as soon as possible... rather be out of debt when he comes home... but will settle for less debt by budgeting and keeping shopping cost low

Oh I do coupons, and lately I have been using my Discover cashback rewards to shop on Amazon for the have to have/need gifts for my family

The Following User Says Thank You to BABY1N2 For This Useful Post:
Sunflow (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM

Staff Superstar Winner Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,571 Times in 1,813 Posts

I am on tight budget, because I am saving money to visit my LO in Texas. I need to save around 3500$ for this.

I don't buy ANYTHING that I can go without and by without I mean without suffering. I do have fun though, and if I really want something that is not necessary for surviving, I still get it. I'm just considering every time if I want or need this thing more now than spending this money in Texas? If the answer is yes, I buy it.

We hardly ever do coupons here, but we do have special bonus cards for regular customers and with that card you can get discounts, so I use that one. I have stopped ordering magazined and newspapers, because I can read most of them online anyway. I cancelled cable TV, I use slower but free internet connection instead of paid but faster one.

I do get myself and kids what ever we need though. I have sensitive skin, so when I did have to buy make up I did buy Lancome and Joe Blasco, no sweat. But I don't buy any make up I don't really need... Like own multiple foundations etc. When I buy something like clothes or things I need at house like appliances I try to buy quality from sale instead of cheap labels that will not last in use. When I bought myself a bike I bought used one instead of new and I needed a bike because I sold my car and don't wanna pay for bus tickets either, but riding a bike is safe and common here. This ain't no Texas

I don't smoke, I don't do clubbing. I do have free meals at work, so I use that benefit too and plan my own meals that way that I have my main meal of the day at work. I cook, bake bread and do as much as I can myself in the kitchen to save money. I live in an apartment building, so I can't grow vegetables but I do go berry and mushroom picking.

I am considered officially poor, but I still manage to spend 2-4 weeks abroad every year.

Que Fácil Es Amarte
Four years and I'm still wearing the smile you gave me

Check out our

Weekly Postcard Swap 2015

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunflow For This Useful Post:
BABY1N2 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

Wow, Sunflow! That is impressive!

Michele
Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM

I unplug everything my kids and I spend most of our free time doing things together outside.... My bills r really low & we are on a tight budget.... My electric bills are almost always under $15.00
The Following User Says Thank You to Angetem For This Useful Post:
BABY1N2 (05-23-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Formerly Mike'sbabyboy

Thanked 1,152 Times in 619 Posts

I only shop at major stores that offer rewards/points when I shop. If shop at an small, independent retailer...I tell the salesperson what I need and always say I only have a certain amount of money. You will be surprised at the deals they will make with you. Most retailers don't want to loose a sale. I also try to shop at the same stores for the boys. I have one sneaker/shoe store that I go to. He knows that I am not going over a certain price. I but their clothes mostly from one store and he always gives me a discount. It certainly saves me a bit here and there.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
we miss you daddy

Before my husband went in, we never spent my paychecks - they went directly into savings. We could afford and did live off one income before and we decided that we still can, why change the uneeded things. So for five years, over 40+ hours a week (paycheck) went into an account, the only thing that came out was a real high percentage for 401k and insurance. Then we started a business - hes since been back in, awhile ago actually. I just paid off our home, and started a part-time job now that the kids are older, and put all that away in savings tips too, and dont touch one cent. I never buy it unless I need it. That is how I run my business too - I am thankfully a person who always has to stay busy and functions great on little sleep (too much and my body hurts). Ido put a time limit on electronics - since doing so I have seen such an huge imagination in our children, pretty fun at times as well as funny. My husbnad does the same: he works (as we know in prison not for much) but ever since he started he only uses what he needs - we recycle out water bottles for refill. I shop in bulk too... I was raised to not live beyond your means, n never purchase anything we dont need. Now Im repeating myself - better quit.
The Following User Says Thank You to jshane0812 For This Useful Post:
NewAttitude (05-21-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Donation Award 

I am late getting in to this thread. I just found this forum and love it. How do I save??? Well gas is getting expensive and I have to drive a lot for work. I plan my trips to make sense and do everything at once. I map out my routes on paper for the best method to avoid wasted miles and time. Strangely after a little tracking homework I have found gas prices are the cheapest on Wednesday afternoon so I try to fill up then. Visit day also means grocery shopping since it puts me in an area that has bigger retailers. All the errands are done on the same day, it’s a long day but it is efficient. No frivolous driving ever. I clip coupons and print them also. I use store rewards and cash back programs everywhere. I do buy laundry soap cause I can get a big bottle of name brand soap or less than .50 cents when combined with sale, coupons and cash back. I keep the plastic bottles for non-potable water storage because my power goes out every time the wind blows. I never buy fabric softener; I use vinegar in the rinse cycle. No my clothes do not smell like vinegar:-/ but they do come out soft even when line drying which I do a lot of. Even in the winter the shower rod become a drying rack. No cable TV and no land line phone. You can find redbox free rental codes all the time if I want a new movie to watch. I get all the free samples I can. If I can’t use it I donate to the local food bank, they will take everything. Same goes for free items in the stores. Someone could use it and all I have to do is pick it up and drop it off. Candles, I love them. The more the merrier. I asked all my friends to save me their candles when the wick burns out. I melt them down and put the wax in a new jar with a fresh wick. They are happy to save them and get a kick out of my ‘reuse’ methods. I also get them at the thrift shop and even if I don’t like the holder I can melt it into a pretty jar that I do like. You can even enjoy your simple pleasures for less money if you think about it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,082 Times in 567 Posts

Since I live very close to the Dollar Store, I buy ALL of my paper products from them. Alot cheaper than anywhere else around here. I also buy my envelopes there. Just can't beat the price. Every 2-3 weeks they have a spend $25.00 coupon, get $5.00 off. Since my paper products come to more than $25.00 a month, I always get them with the sale.

Gas is a big expense. Just because I live in the country, every where I go, I need the car. So in an effort to save, I plan my trips. I never go out for just one place. I do all my errands on one trip.
This saves alot, I have actually got it down to one fill up a month except for when I go visiting hubby.

I am always on the lookout for free samples. If I can't use them, I will take them and pass them on.

I love the newspaper (the paper variety). I do read the papers on the internet, but still like to get our local paper, which doesn't have an internet version. Well they have gone up to $1.00 a paper. At $6.00 a week, it was too much. So as my sister likes the paper as well, I get it and she pays her .50 cents. I never buy the Sunday paper at $2.50 a pop.

I am a soda drinker and always shop for the best deals. Usually can get 3 or 4 cases for $10.00. Sometimes $9.00. Just keep my eyes open. I have tried the Soda Stream (as my niece has one). They are ok. But the disadvantage for me is they are great for home, but not in the car. I still need cans or bottles for that.

For the electric bill, I hate high electric bills.Still have to use the AC, but I use fans to supplement the AC. If I am going to be gone for 4 hours, I always adjust the thermostadt accordingly. I don't use the clothes dryer during the day as it puts too much heat inside, only use the dryer at night.
I unplug all of my appliances. I no longer go to sleep with the TV on. I wash large loads of clothes, so save on the number of washing trips.

When traveling, I always take those free toilitries in the bathroom they leave. Also the coffee pods. Why not, I have paid for it.

If I am in a restaurant and they serve me jelly, mustard or ketchup in those packets and I don't use them for my meal, I will take them home with me.

I use Sams Club for my pet food, cat liter and bottled water. Also my advil. Oh so much cheaper.
Nestles bottled water there is $2.98 for 30 bottles. At our Wal Mart 24 bottles is 3.48. I don't like that their membership has gone up, but with the savings I get from just the pet food alone, it is well worth it.

My change goes in a piggy bank a couple of times a week. When the bank gets filled, I take it and cash it in for bills. Can't have a savings account, so I just take the bills and put those back in the piggy bank and add my change to it for another go around. Sometimes I have to get in there and use it, but hey it is there.

So those are a few of my hints. Hope I have sparked some interest for others to save. Nice thread, keep it coming.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 07-27-2013, 02:56 PM
talking to the moon

wow, some very good ideas out there!! i need to take some tips cuz i know i spend more money than i should be!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,082 Times in 567 Posts

I forgot one of my biggies. I had to travel once a month out of town for medical appts. and stay over night in a hotel or motel. I no longer pay the high price for sodas out of the machine. I take my own. I buy a two liter bottle on sale here at home and take it with me. The places I stay at all have refrigerators and ice, so I save alot.

I also take my own snacks. I can buy them much cheaper at home than out of those machines.

Used to travel out of town to see hubby in prison and stayed at a local motel. Some nights I just didn't want to go out to eat at a restaurant, so I would stop on the way to the hotel and pick up some fast food and have it back at the hotel for dinner. Once in a while, I also would get pizza delivered.

At one prison hubby was in, a buddy of his had a girlfriend that used to spend the night and of course that can get very costly. So with both of us consenting, we got together and would make plans to split the cost. This saved us both lots of money. WARNING tho, be very careful who you choose. Make sure you have the same likes as far as TV, radio, sleeping in, going to bed, smoking, etc. I have remained friends with them even tho the guys are no longer in the same prison.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 10-13-2015, 02:16 PM

Here is one thing I do that doesn't seem like a cost saver maybe but having worked at Office Depot in the print center I totally see it this way. HP has a program called HP Instant Ink. There are 3 price tiers but basically you get so many prints (b & w or color) for a set price. They monitor your ink levels wirelessly (so not all HP printers can use the program) and send you new when you need it. I am on the $9.99 a month tier. It gives 300 prints. Plus if you go over its like I think 10 cents a print. If you don't use all 300, the extra will roll over for one month. So basically you pay 3 cents-ish per print for the 300 versus Office Depot which is 9 cents for black and white and 69 cents for color. Plus I have a photo printer so I can print photos too.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:36 PM

On my smartphone, I use ibotta, receipt hog, and the Wal-mart apps. ibotta works with Kroger, Wal-mart, Meijer, Target, Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, etc. If I shop at Kroger and buy a gallon of milk on sale for $1.87 and then go to the ibotta app and find a corresponding offer on milk for 25 cents then I just spent $1.62 for my milk. I used milk as an example b/c they often have a few non-brand specific offers for commonly purchased items such as milk, bacon, fresh vegetables, etc. Some of the brand specific offers are good ones, too. Wal-mart is even easier to use, you just scan the code on your receipt with your phone and their program checks sale prices at other stores for the same item and if one is found, you get a credit for the difference to redeem later. Over time those things add up.

I always try to look at the Aldi sale papers, sometimes they have really good deals. My Kroger has a good meat dept. so I'm always looking to see what they have on sale there, too. Kroger also has something here called the "Free Friday Download". Every Friday it's a different freebie that you can only download that day, but once you have, then you get 2 weeks to redeem it. With those I've gotten totally free things like a bag of Friskies cat treats, a container of yogurt, a candy bar, and a container of Ice Breakers mints to carry in my purse. They also conveniently have a bin for the non-refrigerated items located right at the front of the store by the customer service counter. Kroger also gives fuel discounts for gas.

Through trial and error I've learned which generic items I'm fine with versus name-brand items that don't have a good generic equivalent. I found that I actually like Kroger's Big K cola as much or even more than Pepsi or Coke, so I never buy those anymore at all, even if they're on sale b/c the Big K is still a better deal! I found that I generally don't like store brand generic cheeses, but I'll still try some from the smaller manufacturers like cheese made by the Amish. I've found that most Amish stuff is usually pretty good quality.

Some stores also offer tie-ins with using your customer card. Every time I shop at Kroger and accumulate X points, I get 20 free minutes on my phone plan. Also I have it signed up to make percentage donations to my local animal shelter, too. If you are on some type of govt. assistance, in many states you can get free phone service which also includes a free basic phone. Not too long ago lawmakers were discussing also allowing a credit (like $20 a month) for people on public aid to use for internet access. I don't know if that finally passed, though.

I use Bounce fabric dryer sheets. I learned that if I tear them in half and stick the unused half back in the box, the other half does just as good of a job. Then the box lasts twice as long! I like foaming hand soap. Once the container you bought is used up, you can make more of your own with liquid hand soap. 1 tablespoon of a liquid handsoap refill will make a whole bottle of foaming hand soap. Less waste of soap and saves money while still getting the job done well!

I don't ever buy books anymore, I always use the library. If a library in another system across the country has a book you'd like to read, they will often ship it to your local branch for you to borrow for free. You can also check out DVD movies and CD music, too, plus tons of different magazines.

YouTube has some good money saving videos, too. Some are put up by people about specific stores like CVS. There's a good one by a Mennonite lady on frugal living that I liked. My personal goal is to live as well as I can without wasting money. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for something good, I just don't want to waste a single penny needlessly. Why should I give Procter & Gamble anymore money than I have to, when I definitely need it much more?