Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Discounts & Frugality
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Tricks that you use to save money or make extra money to help pay the bills

So I am guessing many of you have had the same experience as I have and that included going from 2 incomes to 1. Money is extremely tight - I have depleted my savings and am barely scraping by each month. Do you guys have any tricks that you use to save money or make extra money to help pay the bills? I thought this post may help more than just me to come up with ways to save/make money until our loved ones come home.

As for me, I work 10 hours over a week, hang up my clothes to dry and am very stingy with groceries, gas and heat/air.

I'm thinking of trying to sell mary kay and scentsy. Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Also what about extreme couponing? Does anyone do this or know how?

Another Idea is selling things on ebay that I either have or buy at thrift stores/garage sales.

Any ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:07 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,532 Times in 13,757 Posts

I do coupon...not "extreme," I only clip coupons on things I normally buy. I have sold a couple of things on ebay. Otherwise, I'm very conscious of the water and electric I use. Turn the water off/on as necessary when brushing teeth. Turn lights off when exiting a room. I compost and recycle. I shop at Goodwill and a couple of nearby thrift stores....but even that isn't often. I cook, from scratch, no "convenience" foods (that's healthier anyway). The little things add up, a buck here, a buck there. I do more than one errand a time, waiting until there are enough things on the list to justify the gas (but I live in a rural area).

Just be aware of where your money goes...and sometimes ya gotta make do with you've got

Last edited by patchouli; 06-26-2014 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: sp/add comment
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-30-2014), DsLatinCutie (07-02-2014), sass4221 (06-26-2014), Wastingtime479 (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,639 Times in 673 Posts

For quick cash I find things out in the garage or around the house to sell on Craigslist. I haven't been able to save money since my wife lost her job 2 years ago. She does substitute teaching during the school year, but even with that extra income there never anything left over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
Wastingtime479 (06-26-2014), xolady (12-05-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

I've had success in the past on ebay w/ kid's used clothing.

Michele
Wastingtime479 (06-26-2014), xolady (12-05-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 PM

I've got a ton of clothes from my son that I'm about to ebay!
frostwoman1954 (06-26-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,619 Times in 778 Posts

Check out the website Krazy Coupon Lady. I am not an extreme couponer. I like her because she shows you all the best deals and exactly how to do them. My dtr frequently goes to Target using Krazy's tactics and gets amazing deals on stuff we use daily. I am constantly shutting off lights, we switched to morning showers because they are much shorter, and even though I am in the suburbs with lots of stores, I combine trips and limit my driving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shs76 For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (07-02-2014), jeswannabhiswyf (09-27-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:06 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs76 View Post
Check out the website Krazy Coupon Lady. I am not an extreme couponer. I like her because she shows you all the best deals and exactly how to do them. My dtr frequently goes to Target using Krazy's tactics and gets amazing deals on stuff we use daily. I am constantly shutting off lights, we switched to morning showers because they are much shorter, and even though I am in the suburbs with lots of stores, I combine trips and limit my driving.
Excellent ideas! Thank you for sharing!

Michele
Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,824 Times in 10,456 Posts

Like patchouli I cook from scratch on a daily basis. I love to cook so that is a big factor but the truth is it also saves you a ton of money. Now understand I work from home and I know that many of you do not. When I worked the nine to five grind I would do most of my cooking on Sunday and you could do the same (whatever day works for you). My tip for those with limited time is to not be afraid of larger cuts of meat. As long as the price is right buying a ham, pork or beef roast, even a turkey (turkey out of season can be cheap if you shop around). This way you can make several meals out of that big ol' hunk of meat. I plan my meals dependent on what is the best value where I shop that week. A turkey or roast or whatever can be a special meal of roasted meat and veggies one day, a casserole, enchiladas or with a quick gravy (or without) sandwiches as well. Be creative, that's key to saving money and time as well.

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
jade266881 (08-23-2014), patchouli (07-02-2014), Renee (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,532 Times in 13,757 Posts

I also cook in "bulk," especially on my days off and freeze in individual servings. Quick lunch for 1 or supper for 2+ I also take my own lunch to work. And for the rare ocassion that I eat out, I ask for a senior discount LOL Of course my idea of eating out is usually 2 White Castles and an ice water (water is FREE!)

Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,555 Times in 13,146 Posts

aw jeezus pete.

I would ride my bike to work (I live very close to work) a few times a week (weather permitting)
go to the store early and get the 50% off of nice cuts of meat that were getting too close to the sell by date
Lots of rice. lol.

Almost never ever eat out, and when we do its usually a combo thing. Cocktails and appetizers.
I never bought much for me while my hub was in. Just wore what I have, but then again, I wear a uniform for work so.......
But discount stores or wally world usually did the trick.

only used the furnace on super super cold times (lol.yeah, I know. I live in CA so how cold could it get?)
got firewood for the wood stove from whomever would give me any.

Cheapest cable (16 dollars a month) gave me re-runs of some good shows, and nothing fancy.

Just basics really.No frills.
I was really lucky in that I could afford what I did. God bless me that the my car didnt break down or a major appliance didnt go out.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (12-05-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 05:16 PM

Do you do a monthly budget? I am really anal with my money anyways but it always helps me to put everything on a spreadsheet and set a budget for each thing. I get paid once a month so I pay all of the necessities first and then distribute my budget from the remaining things. It helps me to see how much I'm spending on different things each month and where I can cut back. I give myself so much money for fun activities each week, and other things I have going on. I also go grocery shopping once each week. That helps me to just buy the things that I need for the week and not buy additional unnecessary items. And also if I know that I may go out of town or have something going on where I don't necessarily need as many groceries it also helps me to plan for that and that helps me save money. Just a thought.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Banned

Just about every company has a website. My girlfriend will often email a company and tell them that she enjoys buying their product but that she is often unable to find coupons for that product. She will then ask the company if they can suggest where and how she can find coupons for their products. When she sends these email letters, she always includes her home (postal) address in the email letter. Many times these companies will send her a bunch of coupons in the mail. As I write these words, I am drinking some Chock Full of Nuts coffee that cost me almost nothing to buy. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM

PTO Moderator 

Son of Galway,

That is some of the best info I've seen in quite a while! Thank you for sharing that! Enjoy the coffee!

Michele
Sheryl P. (12-05-2014), SonOfGalway (08-30-2014), xolady (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 01:51 PM

I don't do all those things anymore. Its only me and 1 other little person so I don't spend as much on food as I used to when my boys lived with me. On my off days and days before work(I work nights 6 days a week) I clean houses for extra cash. $75-$100 per unit. Depends on the size of the unit. On the weekends before work I'll do yardwork which is another $50-$75. Its not much but its something. If my love needs food or wants to buy ice cream or soda's on a hot day I use that money to put on his books. They take 55% for restitution so its not a lot he has but I like him to have something. And the extra cash makes up for a lot.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 PM

I do parking ride everyday instead of driving all the way to work ......i save gas and parking fee.....plus I bring my lunch instead of spending money for lunch ......I have 2 big refrigerators coz hubby like to stock lots of soda and drink s.....since hubby has been gone I unplugged one and let it dry so if will not get moldy. I noticed my electricity bill has come down a bit. Like others here I also cook in bulk on weekend and I put the leftovers in small containers and store them in freezer. I downgraded my cable to basic and watch movies on netflix with my laptop hook up to the TV. Its a huge saving from 99.00 a month to 37.00.
I don't use coupons that much coz I'm by myself there is no sense of buying in bulk when they are cheap coz I ended up throwing them away. I keep an eye what is on sale at my local store....and I pretty much stick to my budget when I'm at the store. I also drive less so I can save my gas.
So that's how I manage to keep things together at my house while hubby is gone.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Donation Award 

I work 40 + hrs a week and I just feel too old for a night job. I have started watching craigslist for babysitting jobs(had my first interview today). I figure 3 weekends a month for cash under the table and the fourth weekend to visit my LO. I'm praying I can hold things together for the next 450 days....
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs76 View Post
I work 40 + hrs a week and I just feel too old for a night job. I have started watching craigslist for babysitting jobs(had my first interview today). I figure 3 weekends a month for cash under the table and the fourth weekend to visit my LO. I'm praying I can hold things together for the next 450 days....
I will keep you and your LO in my prayers, SHS76. God bless.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM

Thanked 1,244 Times in 630 Posts

I coupon, coupon, coupon! I haven't reached "extreme couponer" status yet, but I have a running start. I've gotten panty liners from WalMart and they paid me $35 to take them out the store, I've gotten grocery bills down to about $20, and just last night I bought a nice pair of tall wide calf boots regularly priced $59.99 for $5.98! I only shop for free and cheap merchandise. Free and cheap describe the price not the quality...

Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Donation Award 

I also coupon in a big way and that saves money. I pay attention to where every bit of money is going. With gas prices on the rise again I have been watching where and how often I drive. Its amazing how often I used to just jump in and go without giving thought of the costs associated with quick trios here and there. I don't go into town everyday and actually now only go once a week. I keep a note in my hand bag of what I need and from where so I can plan my trip by route to avoid back tracking. It save me time and gas money that I would rather spend driving to visit which is also the day I go into town and do all the other errands :-)
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Donation Award 

I don't buy anything unless it's on sale or reduced! it makes a big price different on meat. I shop goodwill for things I need and thrift stores too. I use a pre paid phone so if it does miss a payment I don't get charged all those connect fee's, lol I pick all penny's
and save in a jar after a few months u get a few dollars, plus I work all the over time I can get! I don't eat out unless some one else is paying,lol and only go where I need to go to save gas.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,166 Posts

I read the IRS is starting to look at E-Bay sales so use caution when your selling and perhaps look into that. Many people use Craigslist now but exercise caution and don't meet at your house but use a "safe" meeting location.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Donation Award 

We have a program called Mass Save (Massachusetts) it's sponsored by the utility companies. Free, regardless of income. They came to my house and did an energy audit. They replace all non CFL lightbulbs, had a contractor put some extra insulation in my attic and evaluated all my windows, doors etc. All of this was free. There is some more insulation I need and they are giving me an interest free loan for that. Essentially the final tally for services will be about $2500, the first $2000 was free so in order to make my home as energy efficient as possible I will be spending about $500. Oh they also put in a programmable thermostat so my heat goes down to 60 at 11pm comes back up to 68 at 5:30am down to 60 at 7am and back up to 68 at 5pm. This is a half hour before I wake up, before I get home and after I go to bed.

Do any other states have a service like this?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Thanked 4,071 Times in 2,187 Posts

I only buy meats that are on sale. Buy one get one free if its something I'll use. My neighbor and I shop together and a lot of the buy one get one stuff we share. I buy largest quantity as its usually cheaper in the long run. Like toilet paper I get the 12 packs paper towels also get large quantities. I cook large amounts and then make individual dinners and lunches. Any meats I usually use leftovers for soups and freeze. Like a pork roast I'll cook that make cabbage w/it then have sandwiches then turn left over into lentil soup. So a piece of meat that costs say $20. I get about 5 meals for 4 people out of it. Which comes out to about a dollar a meal. I use lots of beans and try to use fresh veggies in season to keep costs down.