Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:54 PM

Lightbulb Does Emailing the Parole Board Help in Release?

So my fiance is in prison he received clemency (in 2012) and we really want him out especially due to COVID. I am trying to work on several strategies (petition, ads, videos) to ensure his release, he has been denied 5 time since 2012.
A strategy I have been thinking of is asking supporters to email the parole board, and asking as many people as possible to tell why they believe he should be released. Has anyone ever tried this and if so does it work?

If interested in assisting in anyway email me at (Removed per policy)

Last edited by patchouli; 09-14-2020 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: removed email address
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2020, 02:22 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,381 Posts
Default Does Emailing the Parole Board Help in Release?

I think of support letters like recommendation letters. For one thing, you want them sent in whatever preferred format the board wants where you can get a letter of receipt and it will make it into their file. In Texas, that’s snail mail. Your state might vary.

And two, one good letter is worth 10 crappy ones. 20 people emailing “He’s a good guy and we miss him” is really going to decrease the chance of them reading 3 really thought out letters that show what the guy has done that makes him a good candidate for release and what things you have in place out here to help him succeed.

I know if I got 100 emails saying the exact same thing over and over, I’d stop reading them. So I think I’d want to collect them myself and read them and use what would help. I know I didn’t even send in my husbands letters from his mom and grandma because they just weren’t good.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,381 Posts

I just scrolled right by the photos you posted because I thought they were ads, but I saw them after I responded and omg, no wonder you’re fed up with no being released!

In that case I might start bothering them relentlessly, too.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
I think of support letters like recommendation letters. For one thing, you want them sent in whatever preferred format the board wants where you can get a letter of receipt and it will make it into their file. In Texas, that’s snail mail. Your state might vary. .......
This was really helpful and I thought the same as it relates to the lack of substance an email content might have and if it would be effective. However you gave me an idea, if I ask people to email me there letters then forward it to the parole board, do you think the parole board would accept it?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:11 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,981 Times in 13,762 Posts

There is advice posted by a PTO members about the best way to contact a parole board about an upcoming hearing.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=658065

If he has a lawyer, be sure to have them review any letters/emails before sending them to the Tennessee Parole Board. Some comments may be harmful even if the writer is trying to be helpful.
https://www.tn.gov/bop.html

Since he was already granted clemency, have you considered applying for a pardon
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/bo...7-23-19%20.pdf

or exoneration, also issued by the TN Governor?
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/bo...7-23-19%20.pdf
Old 09-14-2020, 09:32 PM
I love my Kindle

I wonder ... is getting parole generally more difficult in Tennessee as opposed to other states? I’ve heard it’s also hard in NY, for example. Are some states better than others on granting parole?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:39 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,280 Times in 17,198 Posts

Anna7, I think the main sticking point is that the Governor granted Clemency - 9 years ago - and the Board still won't approve parole.

I wouldn't forward emails enmass. I wouldn't email at all. Personally, I like a good old-fashion handwritten letter. Give the Board something they can touch.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
FreeDonC (09-15-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
I think of support letters like recommendation letters. For one thing, you want them sent in whatever preferred format the board wants where you can get a letter of receipt and it will make it into their file. In Texas, that’s snail mail. Your state might vary.

And two, one good letter is worth 10 crappy ones. 20 people emailing “He’s a good guy and we miss him” is really going to decrease the chance of them reading 3 really thought out letters that show what the guy has done that makes him a good candidate for release and what things you have in place out here to help him succeed.

I know if I got 100 emails saying the exact same thing over and over, I’d stop reading them. So I think I’d want to collect them myself and read them and use what would help. I know I didn’t even send in my husbands letters from his mom and grandma because they just weren’t good.
One of the most sound comments I've read on here. Absolutely correct, and applies to all levels of the criminal justice system. The people who have the most impact on persons incarcerated (e.g. judges, prison officials, parole boards) are not politicians - it's not a popularity contest, and they don't care how many supporters someone has. What can matter is the substance of that support.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,453 Times in 3,221 Posts

I'm guessing the clemency he was granted was that he would be able to see the parole board rather than not.

In Kentucky, there were several clemency petitions granted in recent years. However, they do not always end in releases. In one, a death sentence was reduced to life with possibility of parole - the parole board ordered a serve out. A sentence of 20 years was reduced to 10 - the board ordered her a serve out as well. The board's reasoning - seriousness of the crime (dud) and that higher courts have held that parole is a privilege not a right.

A parole board is going to do whatever they want to do, within the guidelines of course. I'd be careful in sending too much as they may just order him to serve out.