Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Virginia Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 05-24-2017, 12:25 AM

I understand they are trying to control contraband but how does removing food options during a visit help? And for people such as myself with diabetes and other health conditions who cannot snack on candy and soda a full day this makes visitation very difficult. I am driving 6+ hours each way for visits.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TainosQueen View Post
I understand they are trying to control contraband but how does removing food options during a visit help? And for people such as myself with diabetes and other health conditions who cannot snack on candy and soda a full day this makes visitation very difficult. I am driving 6+ hours each way for visits.
In all honesty, visitation is a thorn in DOC's side. If they could do away with it, they would, but it is a part of treatment and it must go on. With that being said, they will go to whatever lengths necessary to make visitation uncomfortable for inmates and visitors as possible, in the hopes that people will just stop coming for visits. I have told my son, that the visit itself is what is important, not what we have to wear or what we can purchase from the machines.

I do understand and sympathize your health situation, but please keep in mind, DOC doesn't. They could care less how far you travel, how many times you've made the trip, what your health concerns are or anything else for that matter.

Try to stop somewhere and have something healthy to eat and drink before arriving for the visit that will hold you over. I wish you the best!!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TainosQueen View Post
I think as far as the food they saw it as a bonus that inmates could get during a visit which of course we all know they don't want to do any favors or make it "easy" in any way shape or form so I believe that's why they took them away. They do have soda and candy still left for you its just no food or chips. My thing is the changes wont stop contraband all together CO's were responsible as well for bringing them in so *shrugs*
fryefrye (05-24-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Chad's Kitten
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by str82daheart View Post
Thats what I was thinking too! However it was effective 2015 but only envelops because they still would get the original pics and letters. why would they waste paper to copy a letter that is crazy. he mentioned that they want to keep a record of what is being sent in so maybe that is why but he stated it starts April 17 ������ They discard envelops yes but not a picture or card.
Was talking to my boyfriend about this last night. They copy and destroy the photos as well. Good to know. If it's something I'm sending where I really want him to see the colors, I should send through jpay and not the mail. Not only do they copy it, it's black and white.
The Following User Says Thank You to MetalChick0731 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-26-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 09:42 PM

Here's a detailed news article about the scan-and-shred program.

http://wvtf.org/post/virginias-effor...isons#stream/0

Quote:
The head of the department of corrections – Harold Clark – refused to be interviewed and would not say what this new policy costs an agency which is already spending a billion dollars a year, but Alex Friedmann thinks it’s a shame the money is not spent on helping prisoners who are addicted to drugs and alcohol. About 80% of inmates come in with a drinking or substance abuse problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
MetalChick0731 (07-05-2017)