Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Deuel Vocational Institution (DVI) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deuel Vocational Institution (DVI) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Deuel Vocational Institution, located in Tracy, California.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 AM

Unhappy What do I do to help protect my son from being jumped?

Please help me what do i do to help protect my son from the piece a shit cowards who feel they need to jump my son out on the yard he just arrived in reception and instead of one on one they have 2 jump him please if there is anyone who has a child doing his first prison sentence and knows the love of a mother for her son please help what do i do i cant just let this place take my son from me nor will i just sit by and let some piece shit inmate take my son away from me and his children WHAT CAN I DO:-(
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 AM

I wish I had an answer for you. It is such a hard thing to be stuck when you can do nothing for your child. The only thing I can tell you is to pray for them all. Good luck, I hope you find answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chelie1111 For This Useful Post:
clingingtohope (04-01-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanked 5,983 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_aprice98 View Post
Please help me what do i do to help protect my son from the piece a shit cowards who feel they need to jump my son out on the yard he just arrived in reception and instead of one on one they have 2 jump him please if there is anyone who has a child doing his first prison sentence and knows the love of a mother for her son please help what do i do i cant just let this place take my son from me nor will i just sit by and let some piece shit inmate take my son away from me and his children WHAT CAN I DO:-(
I'm sorry I don't think you can do anything, your son is either going to stick up for himself or this is going to continue. If he reports it he's going to be considered a snitch, and liable to be in a worse position.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,830 Times in 11,078 Posts

You have to let him handle himself. He's old enough to be in prison, so he's going to have to figure it out on his own.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 AM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,721 Times in 1,115 Posts

I also would be careful about posting stuff like this in a facility-specific forum. You don't know who's got loved-ones inside with your son or what their loyalties or motives are and you sure don't want to be calling other people's LOs "scumbags". Just seems imprudent.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 AM

I understand hes an adult but just because a person is old enough to go to prison for some white collar crime dose not make it ok that he has to fight to stay alive every day does it? And how do you stand up for yourself when youve got 2 , 3, even 4 one one? But your right this is the wrong place to be posting this thank you to those of you who dont have grimmy family members locked up that might see this and pass it on ill be removing my post
Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 AM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

What I said about it not being safe to post this here was meant as advice to keep your son from getting into a worse situation. I wasn't meaning to defend what was going on. I also agree that being old enough to go to prison doesn't mean he is well-equipped to defend himself constantly, but it's his unfortunate reality.
And here once again we have the idea that "white collar" criminals are somehow better than non white-collar ones... That because Junior stole my social security number and identity or embezzled from his employer, he doesn't "deserve" to be in there with all those scumbag animals... Sigh.
This is going to be a rough ride for you both and I sincerely hope your son finds a way to deal with this situation without making it worse. I don't know what that "way" is, unfortunately.
clingingtohope (04-01-2015), HisWife401 (04-14-2015), Socks22 (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 01:01 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,357 Posts

As my husband has told me before, everyone has to take their own "first lick". I decided that means even us out here in a symbolic- DOC- has- the -control- over- my -loved- one- now sort of way.
I can only imagine your angst and fear and concern for your son. Hugs to you.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
Old 03-28-2015, 05:02 PM

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
I am very sorry to see how upset and worried you are. I would probably feel the same way in your situation but, unfortunately, the other posters are correct. There is very little you can do without making it worse for your son. The only suggestion I have is that he request protective custody. My son was in reception in 2009 with a young man in a similar situation. That young man requested protective custody and it was granted. I don't know if it would work for your son, but it might be worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,830 Times in 11,078 Posts

The problem with protective custody is that in some places it is just about the same as solitary. He needs to know how PC is handled before he asks for it.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
The problem with protective custody is that in some places it is just about the same as solitary. He needs to know how PC is handled before he asks for it.
Yes, it would be wise to find out how PC is handled where he is located. I do know of another recent case (at a different prison) where PC was requested, but he had to "give up" information before they would let him go PC. He was in solitary (ad seg) for a few months until he was transferred to a mainline PC yard. It also means that they can never go back to general population, but sometimes it's totally worth it.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 PM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
Yes, it would be wise to find out how PC is handled where he is located. I do know of another recent case (at a different prison) where PC was requested, but he had to "give up" information before they would let him go PC. He was in solitary (ad seg) for a few months until he was transferred to a mainline PC yard. It also means that they can never go back to general population, but sometimes it's totally worth it.
And sometimes it's jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. There's no reason to assume he wouldn't be victimized on a SNY, either.
clingingtohope (04-01-2015), HisWife401 (04-14-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakini View Post
And sometimes it's jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. There's no reason to assume he wouldn't be victimized on a SNY, either.
Yes, but that is a chance he may be willing to take if he is scared enough. There are no guarantees either way. Only he can decide what he feels would work best for him at this time. It can be a very hard, overwhelming decision. We don't even know if he would choose to request PC, but whatever happens I wish him the very best and hope that he will be safe for the rest of his term.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 PM

Thank you all for your input and im sorry if i offended anyone with the white collar crime remark i just ment that someone who just sat in a room on a computer should not be housed with someone who just robbed and stabbed or shot someone my son is no better then them they just shouldnt be housed together and my son has no idea that i know what happened to him...plus he would never pc up im the one who wants him to Im so over protective when it comes to my kids it could almost be borderline krazy :-) anyway thanks for the advice and sorry if i offended anyone
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM

Someone else said something about sny or y what is that?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,696 Times in 7,691 Posts

Quote:
Someone else said something about sny or y what is that?

SNY are Sensitive Needs Yards. It's not something you do unless you are certain you're wanting to stay on it. Most of the inmates on SNY are dropouts, sex offenders who require added safety or those that are targeted on the mainline. Let me be clear: there's no shame in going SNY, but it's not a road you hop on and off when things get harry. It's a major decision.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:18 PM
Patiently waiting

He can "check himself in" which means that he will be sent to the hole (may also be known as the SHU). Or he can tell prison official what is going on (although he will be label a snitch), and request to be sent to another prison. In a nutshell, prison is no fun
Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Let your son decide what he needs to do, the problem may be resolved by now anyway. He will know what to do and when to do it. If he's scared he is going to just have to roll up. You can't help him with this no matter how badly you want to
Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 AM
It's all I have left.
Donation Award 

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I can only imagine how you're feeling right now. I have no advice to offer. I just wanted to let you know that I'll be sending up a prayer for both you and your son.

Counting time one day at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to clingingtohope For This Useful Post:
ChaseLove (04-01-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 PM

How do you know when your loved one is on main line what are the housing letters& numbers for main line
Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
PC at some locations is like being in Solitary Confinement. One 15 minute call per month, limited commissary, less food, locked up 23 hours per day. One or two per cell. Very, very noisy. I know one guy that was in PC for a year. Going into the SHU / Solitary is very much the same as PC. I would avoid that if at all possible. But, if means saving your life, it is an option. Just be ready for much misery. I know this because I have a friend that is in PC right now. There is simply no good solutions to this problem.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
How do you know when your loved one is on main line what are the housing letters& numbers for main line
You can check the cdcr website and go to inmate locator, type in his name or cdcr number and it will show you where he is at. Usually your loved one will write to you and let you know they are leaving reception and where they think they are going.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

He's probably still in reception you can call and find out, but he can write you, even if he doesn't have stamps if he doesn't have money on his books they will give him a stamped envelope. From what I have heard most people are in DVI reception for 4 months
Old 05-03-2015, 01:48 AM

In all honesty it happens - if he is mainline he needs to find someone to show him the rules - he has to know to show paperwork and not hide it- happens on sny yards just the same- most inmates want to know who is living with them- and if you do anything it will make it worse- he needs to figure this out on his own hopefully he turns out ok