Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Default Guards cuffed and beat my nephew - what can we do?

Disclaimer, I am reporting second hand.

My nephew, now 19, sent an upsetting letter to his (foster) mom. She went to visit him immediately (he was in SHU) whereupon he presented bruises and cuts on his ankles and wrists. He said he was smoking in his cell, and guards came in without body cams and beat him, and left him cuffed on the floor overnight. Now he's in a cell without a working camera.

Obviously if there was force used beyond anything "required to subdue an inmate" it is a violation of a number of BOP policies and would subject said guards to disciplinary action.

Is the best place to start to file a grievance with the warden? Does a lawyer have to do it? What might the possible consequences to him be?

--Righteous Indignation
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,073 Times in 12,748 Posts

Whatever he says happened, the COs will refute, that's how the system operates. You can try contacting the USDOJ's Inspector General, and if there are enough other similar complaints against that prison, they may even look into it.
https://oig.justice.gov/

I was assaulted by a guard at Lewisburg Penitentiary, in plain view of 3 other guards, but "it never happened".
Old 07-04-2019, 03:52 AM

They will most likely not do anything, be very careful of retaliation, and first and foremost ask him if he wants you to do anything about it. I’m sorry to say but this happens quite a bit in the system. Just try to be there for him and let him know you care about him.

OWL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-04-2019), Taliba00 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
They will most likely not do anything, be very careful of retaliation, and first and foremost ask him if he wants you to do anything about it. Im sorry to say but this happens quite a bit in the system. Just try to be there for him and let him know you care about him.
Omg hon im so sorry that this happened to him