Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 AM

Question Marquette Prison info!!

If anyone has a loved one in Marquette any info would be appreciated!! My bf just got transfered there about a month ago, he was supposed to get bootcamp, but as of right now its not looking too good. I'm trying to prepare myself in case he ends up doing his full sentence. Whats visiting like? Is there any chance he could get out early on good behavior or because of over crowding? Or do they always have to do atleast the minimum sentence? If I do end up going to visit does anyone who lives in the Detroit area possibly want to take a trip? I have no one to go with and I would want to stay the weekend but not sure If I want to go all that way alone. Thanks for any advice, info or help you have!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Account Closed

My fiance has been at MBP since November '09. As a matter of fact, as I'm typing this reply, I am sitting in a Marquette motel room. This is the 2nd time I have visited him since he was brought here. The drive for me is long, 8 1/2 hours, 1000 miles round trip, but he is worth it to me. Visiting hours at MBP suck. If your loved one is a level 1, then you can visit him Tuesday thru Sunday from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm. You may want to plan on staying a couple of days to make it worth the trip. Visiting cops are pretty laid back, I haven't had any problems at all, however we do play by the rules. Even though the written rules say that all jewelry must be removed, they don't enforce it at MBP as long as it is modest and within reason. The visiting room is small and you are seated in a private grouping on plastic chairs around a coffee style table. There are two Pepsi machines (bottles) and one chip and candy machine, no real food. Most of the inmates do not get regular visits because of the distance, but you should still get there by at least 4:50 pm to get checked in, especially in the warmer months when it does get a little busier.

As far as getting out due to overcrowding, that will never happen. Michigan law states that an inmate MUST serve AT LEAST their minimum sentence under the Truth in Sentencing law. There is no good time credits at this time, however there are pending bills in the State House trying to get good time credits back. See other postings for more detailed info.

If you have any other questions about Marquette, please feel free to ask, I have become quite familiar with it in the last 7 months. Unfortunately!!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:25 PM

HI I just wanted to give you a little more info on Marquette I have been here for the last week visiting my fiance, there is no visiting on Tuesday's or Wednesday's them 2 days are for the level 5. Level 1 inmates get 8 days a month to visit and if you want you can do all 8 visits back to back just can't visit on them 2 days so if you plan your trip and want to do all 8 visits together since you will be traveling a long distance then it takes 10 days to get your 8, that is how I do it. I have had no problems with the visits all the Guards I have met have been very nice.Marquette is also a beautiful place to come to, I am staying at the Birchmont Motel it is very nice and affordable and only about half mile from the prison.
I also come a long way almost 500 miles one way and I will continue to do it every month. Good Luck and I hope you get to see your Man soon.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 AM

I am in grand rapids i want to visit my son he is on level5 i would love to carpool with someone close by i havent seen him in 11 mths! :-(...sooo sick!!