Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:56 AM

Talking TC questions...

Hi.. I've been searching the form for my answers and haven't found all of them. I've posted on this site before and successfully got the answers to previous questions so hoping for some light this year too.

My husband has been incarcerated for almost 4 years. His counselor told him hes eligible for TC today he messaged her a couple days ago saying hes ready to put in for tc and she responded she needed his 3 tc choices. I searched and the closest ones to home are augusta, macon, and Phillips. What happens now?

He said find one that takes medium security but all say minimal security I told him I think that's the level of security for the tcs not saying he can't go assuming his security will be lowered due to staying out of trouble etc. This is his first prison sentence. His max out is dec 1st 2021 his tpm says n/a and the parole board years ago said he has code 9999 which means hes not getting parole he has 3 pic points and they mailed him a letter saying his pic date is sept 1st 2021. His charge is burglary non dwelling he was sentenced 10 do 5.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2020, 07:59 AM

Thanked 2,519 Times in 880 Posts

Try to avoid Phillips T/C. It's definitely an arm of Phillips State Prison... same campus so the T/C seems to be more restrictive then other T/C's. All the food (SLOP with NO nutritional value!!!) is cooked and comes down from the Phillips State Prison kitchen. The Place is Disgusting...no air in dorms only fans. Filthy showers, dorms with no hot water at times, no working microwave for months. The T/C building these guys stay in ought to be condemned! It's Despicable!!! For what these guys pay each week to be in these T/C's DOC needs to get their act together!!! It's not suppose to be a five star hotel but this T/C doesn't even qualify for a one star hotel!!!! In the REAL world the Housing Authority would SHUT THESE T/C's DOWN!!!

Thank God once my son was getting home passes he'd load up on canned goods etc. for the week.
Now with the corona craze....I can only imagine!!
I am so thankful my son was released in the beginning of Jan. and doing well!
GOOD LUCK! Try to push for Atlanta T/C. T/C's are always changing depending on the officers and inmates (residents) cycling through. All a toss up! Just know you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....he'll be home soon!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:33 AM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 953 Posts

My son was at the Phillips TC too. He didn't have a lot of complaints but he left there in 2017. We visited him there & the visitation was in the eating area. There wasn't ac & there were flies buzzing around. The vending machines were in the lobby where you come in so if you wanted to get food you had to go out of the dining area, walk down to the machines, get it & come back. And he couldn't go with us.
After they had been there a while they were allowed to go to Dollar Tree once a week to get things. This was supervised in small groups & certain things weren't allowed. It was good because he had a cellphone & could wear regular clothes after the initial 45 days. He got an outside job at the chicken plant so he earned extra money but he worked on the road crew at first for free.
They do deduct room & board plus fees to take them to offsite job locations. I thought the transport fee was too high but there's no choice. There were a couple of COs there that were nice but when he got moved COs packed up his stuff & all his loose change laundry money was "missing" when we got it. Also they have to get change for the laundry from the CO & their records were off so they claimed some of the guys got laundry money when they didn't & deducted it from their account.
I don't know about the other TCs but the best thing is to get in one, get a job, keep quiet & get released. It beats being in regular prison.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:15 AM

Yes GAREFORM you are right! Thank God these guys can work! My son worked at Silver Sheet Industries...Recon The company was excellent and I can not say enough good about his supervisor and those in charge!!!!
Just a FYI when my son was at Phillip's T/C.... just before he left in 1/2020. The vending machines (RIP OFF) were totally removed. The vending machines may have been replaced and relocated since then. The entrance foyer was given a new (wink, wink) WELCOMING LOOK. Such a facade! Two wing chairs were added and the outside entrance was painted with two murals.....another facade!!! It really ticked me off knowing T/C was enhancing the exterior and all the while these guys had NO working microwave! REALLY! It was such b.s. because the non working microwave was an issue for a couple of months. It should have been remedied IMMEDIATELY!!! Heck I would have voluntarily donated one as many of the other visiting parents said the same!! Many of these guys would leave T/C in the morning before breakfast or the raunchy bagged lunch was delivered. Come in late at night and if they hadn't order a nasty dinner trey to be saved they had to rely on their own resources! So not having a working microwave was HUGE! Who wants to come in from a long day of work and not be able to heat up there canned food from the dollar store! Just sayin' what these guys put up with from those in charge is inhumane B.S. and super poor management! Hopefully things are better!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
GaReform (09-07-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 07:33 AM

Oh man I wish I would have known this before telling him to put Phillip's on his list. They just said 3 closest to home Phillip's was the last one but wonder if the order would matter? I think it's to late to change it now she's already emailed him and said she put in his requests. Guess at this point all I can do is pray he gets to go to the best one of the three. Thanks for the info....

Do yall know how it works? Counselor told him she out in for his tcs does that mean they have to approve him or that hes waiting on a bed? And will it be first one to say hey we got a bed open that goes? Thanks for all your help and for replying!!!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:06 AM

There is not much you can do. I know my son put in for Atlanta/Clayton and he ended up going to Phillip's. They will all have their issues! Phillip's has more restrictions since it's on the Phillip's State Prison property. The officers at Phillips work at the prison and the T/C. If your son does get moved to Phillips once he's able to get a job he should really push to go to ReCon/Silver Sheet Industries. It's a day job at a Warehouse not far from the prison. They make custom A/C ventilation systems. The company is good to their employees! My son's supervisor was a very kind man!!!!
Once your son earns a home pass it will help his time go by. Plus he will be able to have a cell phone. Although the wifi coverage is super spotty at Phillip's. Also there was/is a house phone in the dorm he can use without charge.
Remember this is the COUNT DOWN!!!

Fortunately "THANK GOD" my son was released in the beginning of January before all the Corona restrictions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
GaReform (09-07-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I called the augusta tc and she said basically tcs just pick randomly all the inmates who put in for tc go in a que as she said and the system randomly assigns them to an available bed no matter where it is. So all I can do is pray he gets a good one. I'll travel wherever I have to to see him I just pray he gets somewhere decent. Lord knows hes been living in horrible conditions for 4 years.

Thank you again for replying *hugs*