Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Cool Baraga Maximum Correctional Facility

Does anyone know any information about what it's like for the prisoners in Baraga Max cause my boyfriend writes nothing about it except that he doesn't like dealing with too many dudes and that the food is nasty and doesn't eat it. Other than that nothing so if have someone upo there what's it like for them.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 PM

I don't know about the level V, but many do not like the level I because it's very restrictive. It's pretty much all ran as a level V. Visiting there is terrible. It's so far and then the visits are only 3 hours.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 AM
[url=http://www.ticker.79

My friend just called me and said, some one in his unit he's in level 1 bust out some windows with a fire extingusher. He said he was sleep. The warden came in and ask for his id, they interviewed 7 people. They said he did it, but he did't then you know who did it, he didn't, are you willing to take a lie detector test. he said yes, but they didn't give it to him. They took him and 3 others to the hole a week then ship them to max level 5. He is so hurt about it cause he didn't do anything.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 AM

I was at Baraga Level I

It is foul... The CO's are foul and the place is so crowded, the yard is small, I mean really small... We are talking about 150 feet long by 40 feet wide. There is a small weight pit there that holds 12 men.

The food is horrible, very little.... The staff are moved from the Level 5 into the level 1 so you get CO's there that are not used to dealing with minimum security prisoners.. This the issue over the Fire extinguisher.

Baraga and Kitwen are sister facilites, and they are terrible. They live in cubes designed for 6 men however they now have 8 men in them, crowded, and no privacy.

The visiting room is the size of an average living room, small crowded and you dont get to visit very long. Bottom line is that the place is ran like a level V facility the staff have that attitude and so does the Warden.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM

wills...when were you there? my guy left at 6am today for Baraga Level I. I'm about to be sick over this now.......
Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

OMG, they transferred him from Cooper all the way up there? I'm so sorry!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tballa For This Useful Post:
jlzkmm (06-12-2008)
Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballa View Post
OMG, they transferred him from Cooper all the way up there? I'm so sorry!!!
They sure did. Thanks... And the more I read about this place the sadder I become.... I feel like he just keeps getting sent to the crappy places. Maybe it is suppose to challenge us.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 PM
CAN'T HELP BUT WAIT

Sorry to hear they trans my husband from cooper all the way to camp kitwen

The Following User Says Thank You to jayzmen For This Useful Post:
jlzkmm (06-12-2008)
Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 AM

Jayzmen...was it as bad as they all say? Kitwen & Baraga are sister prisons, right?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:50 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

I think everything the MDOC does is to challenge us and the inmates themselves. Everything that could go wrong has this time around for Matt. We just keep telling ourselves that it's for a reason. I feel the reason is, that it is really making him think about how HE messed up and what he needs to do to change.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM
CAN'T HELP BUT WAIT

i dont know i never been up there he was just moved abut 2weeks ago he says they have nothing to do and they have count every hour other than that he seems fine he says long as you follow the rules they wont bother you

Old 06-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Baraga is the Mother facility to kitwen. I was at Baraga in 2006 and I am sorry but it is a horrible place. kitwen fares no better.

I was at cooper then was ran all the way to Baraga.
The Following User Says Thank You to wills12 For This Useful Post:
everymom (08-27-2008)
Old 06-14-2008, 11:45 AM

My guy was at Boyer St. for 2 weeks, brought down to Cooper St. for almost 4 weeks and ran up to Baraga last Wednesday. I finally heard from him today for the first time since last Tuesday. He said it is horrible. How long were you at Baraga wills? I just hope my guy can get some of the classes he needs while he is there...
Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 AM

jlzkmm,

I was there for several months in 06. As far as classes they do have GED that is easy to get into and Phase I wich is easy to get into. They however do not have AOP or atleast did not when I was there.....

The biggest 2 problems with Baraga is the size, it is overcrowded and there is no room for any smittence of privacy thus there is alot of tension there... also the Officers are frankly foul. They run it like a mini level 5.

Hope he stays ok there. Best bet is to stay busy and get on gate pass. Tell him to talk to officer massy.... Massy is a herk but a overall fair jerk and can help him get gate pass....

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to wills12 For This Useful Post:
everymom (08-27-2008)
Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 PM

Well my guy already has his diploma and was put into Phase II. He needs to take RSAT, AOP, Anger Management, Group Therapy and MPRI (in my opinion for some of these, some required) and will be within 2 years of his ERD in December, 2008 so I hope they will transfer him closer to get the other classes when he is done with Phase II and Anger Management. He did get a porter job.

Well those appear to be the biggest 2 problems everyplace within MDOC! LOL

Thanks for the info wills
Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 AM
He's My Dreams Come True!

My hubby is in Baraga Level 1 and has been for a year now. It is not the best facility but far from the worst. He just said that the food is very limited and there is nothing to do. He has not experienced a problem with a CO or anything. He has been in over 4 years now and has not had a ticket or nothing, perhaps that is why he has not had any problems, he stays 100% to himself in there. As far as mail? Perhaps I am a lucky one because I have not had a problem with him receiving mail either other than the fact it takes 3 days. Best of luck to you all. And oh yes! I would be interested in car pooling for visits too, I have not seen my baby since he was moved there. I live near Jackson, MI.

10 months and 13 days before we are together at last!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:11 AM
He's My Dreams Come True!

Also...I forgot to mention as of Jan 09 they will no longer be allowed to smoke in Baraga either. I asked my hubby if this was all MDOC facilities, he said he was not sure. Anyone else heard about this?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie's Boo View Post
Also...I forgot to mention as of Jan 09 they will no longer be allowed to smoke in Baraga either. I asked my hubby if this was all MDOC facilities, he said he was not sure. Anyone else heard about this?
Yes, this is at all MDOC facilities. I think the effective date is 2/09, but I'm not positive, but it is either 1/09 or 2/09. I wrote up a HUGE thing about Baraga because I just went and visited the last weekend in July. Of course it was lost in the whole big failure of PTO's problem this weekend!

I had printed it out and sent it to my guy so I'm going to ask him to send it back so I can retype it out. I thought it would be really helpful for anyone with someone up there!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:52 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

What you wrote was wonderful and very informative! Hopefully you are able to repost it!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Red face Awww..shucks, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballa View Post
What you wrote was wonderful and very informative! Hopefully you are able to repost it!
Thank you. I thought it was great too! I wrote Mike last night and told him I needed it back to repost. Of course he may have thrown it out. I hope I can repost it too! I think that is what I was upset the most out of this failure! That thing took forever to type out! If I can repost it then I will feel much better, I hope!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Default Phones on 8-12-08

Well y'all. Mike just called and said that the phones were down yesterday because, according to a CO, someone tried to hack into the new system... He said everyone that was trying to call was being told that the phone was going to voice mail so he was concerned that I would have all of these voice mails and would think something was wrong. I told him not to worry because I never received any of those calls. I told him maybe the calls were going to an internal MDOC voice mail... My phone never rang once yesterday from him trying to call.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 AM

Exclamation Stabbings at Level V???

The other rumor I was given today was that there were "some" stabbings at the Level V facilities at Baraga yesterday. We don't know how true this is, but I wanted to share it non-the-less. I hope that this is just a rumor... If not, then I hope everyone is okay.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Default Previous Post About My Visit...

Just wanted to update all the peeps reading this particular thread...Mike said he would mail my post back so I can put it back up for everyone! Well, at least that is what he said earlier this week, but now I'm starting to think he isn't happy with me because I haven't heard from him in a while, so maybe he won't. Oh well. I was not the nicest person but he has me concerned so it is only fair in my mind...

Last edited by jlzkmm; 08-14-2008 at 08:13 PM..
Old 08-15-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Mail Room Information...

I called the mailroom today and inquired. For Level I inmates they may receive hard-cover books and you can send books from www.hamiltonbooks.com that are shopworn because the receipt will reflect this as shopworn not used!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 PM

Default re: baraga level 1

I did a year there and it is the most corrupt prison I have been to. They do what they want there and they are quick to set you up..

good luck