Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Old 11-07-2008, 06:22 AM
His Wife
Donation Award 

My husband has been there. He said they r very prejudice and do things to provoke u. I was so happy when they moved him. He seemed like a totally different person, he was so angry there and he is very mild mannered.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM

My guy wasn't having a lot of problems until just recently. He did say that they are very prejudice and I'm amazed at some of the things they seem to get away with... I wish they would hurry up and move him, but I know it will be awhile.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:52 PM

I received a wonderful letter from Mike today. It actually brought me to tears. He told me how he hasn't been feeling like himself, which has been part of our issues lately, but how he wanted to explain everything so I know what is going on and not hold anything back. Now I wish he would call so I could tell him how much I love him! Guess I'll have to put that new bra I bought yesterday on and snap him a little pic! I wonder if my mail will get stopped again if I do such a thing!

Have a great Saturday night y'all!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 PM

They can't stop your mail for a bra pic! Well, they aren't supposed to. Take two. Sent the same picture in seperate envelopes. I've had one go through and the other not before. Logical, huh? LOL
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Well, well....I'm going to have to work on this some day!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Mike called this afternoon and thought I was mad at him because he called me twice yesterday and I wouldn't pick up! My phone never rang and there was never a message on my voice mail with that little CBS recording of a collect call.... This better not become a habit! The last time that happened it was because the phone system was down.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Who knew so much controversy would come out because Mike got a TV. Holy mother! Because he is sticking to himself and working, going to classes and watching TV people are mad at him?!? WTF?

I hate this place! I hate this place! I hate this place!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 PM

The little green monster called jealousy even rears its head in prison - no big surprise.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM

What are they jealous over? They all have TVs too!?! I think it is childish.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Do they? Mine didn't have a tv his entire time. Course he didn't care if others did either, he just didn't.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo5 View Post
Do they? Mine didn't have a tv his entire time. Course he didn't care if others did either, he just didn't.
I asked Mike when he was telling me this and he said yes. Not everyone, but the guys who are being babies over it do... Mike also doesn't do the cold weather~~for all intents and purposes he is southern. I just think tensions are running high over strains of money, the lack of smokes/chew, and it is about to boil over.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 AM

So I started working on my letter to him again last night and I reopened envelope #2 to write him back on that one and I reread the first page and I lost it. I don't know why it didn't hit me before...did I not pay attention, did I go straight to denial...why didn't I see the last line and have it stick in my brain before where he said, "I guess I'm just feeling hopeless." What do I say to that?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 AM

I'm such a bitch!! I know it. Sometimes I'm proud of it! Other times (which are few and far between) I hate it about myself, but there are times I just can't help it. I knew this was going to happen. Mike's mom sent him the money to finish paying off his fines, to get a TV, etc. Well, we didn't think it was coming from his mom so I sent him money too. It appears they were deposited like within 24 hours of one another, so he got his TV, his winter stuff (gloves, thick socks, etc.) and I knew it was just a matter of time before he told me he bought a phone card. Well, that happened Friday when he told me he wanted me to be the first one to know (before someone from his family called to "inform" me what he had done) that he bought a phone card. I'm upset over it and he knows it. I wish I wasn't, but it is like I can't help myself. So he called yesterday to talk to his brother who wasn't home and talked to his sister-in-law for less than 60 seconds. He called his mom who felt it necessary to talk to/include his sister in the conversation (the sister is living with them right now and was sitting at the table & Mike and his sister do not get along) with him for the 2.5 mins he was on the phone with her. (To the point that he said to his mom, 'Well, I guess I'll let you go.' And that bitch said, 'Okay.')

I told him the reason that it pisses me off is because if his family really wanted to talk to him they would put money on their phones. They all make good money (more money than me) and could afford it. So instead, he spends money sent to him to buy a phone card to talk to them and then he doesn't even really talk to them. WTH.

Part of me, the angry bitchy part, wanted to tell him 'okay now that you have your whole phone card system going when the balance I have on my CBS account ($72.87) runs out, I suggest you start calling using your "family phone card" because I'm not putting any more money on my account. And since life seems so grand with your "family" I won't be sending you any more money, etc. I hope your family continues to step up to the plate! Good luck!'

I know. I'm angry and selfish and bitter and overreacting, but I can't help how I truly feel about his family...

Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 PM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

You have every right to feel that way!!! I too pay for Matt's cell phone, although he's not here to use it, so I gave it to his mom so he could call her. The phone is added to my CBS account even though she has her own verizon phone now and could set up an account, so I pay for it. I'm not complaining too much though because his mom and dad have been picking me up for church so I don't have to pay the gas.

I think because Mike is feeling so down, he is trying to reach out to his family even though they are being the way they are. At least he is making the effort, so give him that!!!!

Hang in there girl!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tballa For This Useful Post:
jlzkmm (11-16-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM

Well...I received a voice mail from the assistant warden today about my letter, plus her and a few other individuals (administrative I believe) met with Mike last week to discuss my letter. The assistant warden said to Mike, "This letter is written very well and I'm having a hard time responding to it, I think I just need to call and talk to her."

She is out of the office till Thursday so I will call her back then....

Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 AM

Yay! Let us know how that goes.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzkmm View Post
Well...I received a voice mail from the assistant warden today about my letter, plus her and a few other individuals (administrative I believe) met with Mike last week to discuss my letter. The assistant warden said to Mike, "This letter is written very well and I'm having a hard time responding to it, I think I just need to call and talk to her."

She is out of the office till Thursday so I will call her back then....
Good for you!!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 PM

She called me a second time the very next day even though she said she would be out of the office. So I called her back and she needed me to identify the COs involved, so I gave her a description of the officers and she said an investigation has been launched and she would send me a responding letter. Now I wait for my letter.....

Mike said Baraga has empty beds like crazy. I keep telling him to offer his up to help and he says he did, but they haven't taken it yet....

Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Question question for the holidays

Hi everyone,
I am new with this whole prison thing. My coworker was telling me one day about her son in jail and he just happened to be my age, so we ended up becoming good pen pals and what not. With the holidays coming up I am curious on what is able to be sent him. I remmeber my coworker telling me that we can send books through the manufacturing company, or somethng like that, is there anything else allowed or just money orders? He is in Baraga Maximum. Does anyone know? Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I love that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortband View Post
Hi everyone,
I am new with this whole prison thing. My coworker was telling me one day about her son in jail and he just happened to be my age, so we ended up becoming good pen pals and what not. With the holidays coming up I am curious on what is able to be sent him. I remmeber my coworker telling me that we can send books through the manufacturing company, or somethng like that, is there anything else allowed or just money orders? He is in Baraga Maximum. Does anyone know? Thanks for all your help.
Thats about all that is allowed to be sent thru the DOC. Books, magazines, money orders and newspapers. This is what is listed on the MDOC website:
Members of the general public may purchase allowable books, magazines and other publications, provided the publications are new, not used, and they are sent directly to the prisoner from an approved Internet vendor.
The approved Internet vendors are:

Amazon.com
BarnesAndNoble.com
Borders.com
EdwardRHamilton.com
prisonlegalnews.org
SchulerBooks.com
Waldenbooks.com
Walmart.com
Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 PM

Thank you for your help Dianna. I wasn't sure where to look to see what could be sent or where to go as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Hi shortband! Welcome to PTO! My guy is at Baraga too! Not many of us on here have guys there. Take care...

Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM

You never told us if you ended up talking to the warden and what came of that. Did you?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks jlzkmm for the welcome. I am sorry to hear about your guy up in Baraga as well. It must be hard especially with it being so far up north. What level is he in?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 PM

sorry momto5...I had to identify the COs I spoke of (who knew they didn't keep a log of who works in the visiting room!) and she will send me a letter responding to my letter and asked me to call her directly if I have any problems, concerns, questions, etc. versus writing letters copying people from Lansing.

It does suck shortband. He is in Level I. How about yours? It is really sucking right now as I haven't heard from him in 7 days now. This is so unlike him. I'm starting to get really concerned.

Needless to say, I'm super down right now. I'm trying to keep myself busy with other things and that is why I haven't caught up on here yet. I'm sorry...I just know I'm not the best person to be around right now. I try not to let my mind wander, because when it does I get overly concerned and then get down and then it goes down hill from there. Of all weekends and weeks to go without phone calls, this past weekend was the worst. I hate doing Santa shopping alone and it has been a crappy weekend for me since 2003... No matter what would go on between Mike and I, the weekend we went shopping for the kids for Christmas was always perfect and it was always a tradition, so it makes it really hard to do it alone, especially when we are back together now and to do it without contact.... need I say more?