Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 AM

Post Ojibway Correctional Facility Check-in, Gossip, and Info Thread

Since there's no thread for info on Ojibway I thought I'd start one.
Its Fall up there so I'm sure the colors are already changing. When I went up last October the fall colors were so beautiful. We're heading up there this weekend so hopefully they've started to change for our long 9 hour drive..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Macomb county

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyswife48838 View Post
Its Fall up there so I'm sure the colors are already changing. When I went up last October the fall colors were so beautiful. We're heading up there this weekend so hopefully they've started to change for our long 9 hour drive..

Hi again,
Im happy you get to go up to visit as often as you do. I'm sure your hubby really appreciates you and is encouraged by all you do. I will be riding up there on the 10th for a PB interview with Dr King. My friend will be going before him and I as a representative for support. Praying for the best, (parole - he is in on a PV and way past his minimum date) Thanks for the information on the lodge and the trip sounds like it will be beautiful and peaceful. Take care and I'm praying for the MPRI to get it together to get your hubby and others on their way home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margietmp902 For This Useful Post:
Bobbyswife48838 (10-03-2009), heavensdaughter (10-09-2009)
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 PM

Since I'm new to Ojibway I thought I should update this thread and post. I've been down with my boyfriend 1 month as of Nov. 26 and am waiting on my visitation approval at Ojibway and as soon as it comes through will be heading up to see him. I'm so excited the evaluation process is over but so bummed we got transferred soooooooo sooooooo far away. I never really thought or prepared myself for this. I thought he would for sure get transferred somewhere under the bridge, silly me. Hope to hear from some others at Ojibway and make some new friends. This site has been awesome for me and hope that I can return some of the great support it has given me.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Highly Favored

Is the area cross the bridge the only place that has level 1 prisons? I thought there were some under the bridge also. Told ya I was stopping in to visit!

sisnik
Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Hello, thank you for all of the information all the wonderful women have added on this website. I am brand new to the site, and am very thankful there are other women who can relate to my situation. My guy is in Ojibway Correctional Facility, until 2013. Three years is a long time, I hope and pray for him and all the other men in Ojibway everyday. Today my guy told me they got a couple of inches of snow. I am from Oakland county, a 9 hour drive I believe. I have never driven it before, but will be soon. I just submitted my visitors application, does anyone know how long it takes to be approved? I would like to get up there before all the snow arrives!!!

God bless!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyLuvsBrad View Post
Hello, thank you for all of the information all the wonderful women have added on this website. I am brand new to the site, and am very thankful there are other women who can relate to my situation. My guy is in Ojibway Correctional Facility, until 2013. Three years is a long time, I hope and pray for him and all the other men in Ojibway everyday. Today my guy told me they got a couple of inches of snow. I am from Oakland county, a 9 hour drive I believe. I have never driven it before, but will be soon. I just submitted my visitors application, does anyone know how long it takes to be approved? I would like to get up there before all the snow arrives!!!

God bless!!!
it can take 2-4 weeks to be approved. you can call the facility and inquire about your visitor applications status. welcome to PTO! and good luck above the bridge
Old 11-29-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyLuvsBrad View Post

God bless!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU KRISSY AND WELCOME TO PTO!!!!!!!!!! Margie and I are planning future trips and we were so hoping to be able to find another person to ride and share the cost with us. We hope that you'll be able to join us soon on a trip up there. I left you a Private Message and my number so call me asap so we can chat. I'm also new to the whole visitation and trip to Ojibway. We have so much to talk about.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 AM

son just called and is hearing rumors about Ojibway closing. feb 18, .i told him ..having heard anything but he says even the guards are talking about it......has anyone heard anything ? i thought this was done and they were staying open?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM

My fiance was moved to Ojibway on the 8th of Feb and he has been telling me the very same thing. He was at Pine River before he moved to Ojibway. He has heard that they are closing the facility by June. He says all the CO's talk about it. Do you ever travel there to see your son? How long has he been there? I would love to share rides/expenses if you are interested. Send me a PM if you like. Also if you have any info on Ojibway to share I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by darladeedu View Post
son just called and is hearing rumors about Ojibway closing. feb 18, .i told him ..having heard anything but he says even the guards are talking about it......has anyone heard anything ? i thought this was done and they were staying open?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemoney View Post
My fiance was moved to Ojibway on the 8th of Feb and he has been telling me the very same thing. He was at Pine River before he moved to Ojibway. He has heard that they are closing the facility by June. He says all the CO's talk about it. Do you ever travel there to see your son? How long has he been there? I would love to share rides/expenses if you are interested. Send me a PM if you like. Also if you have any info on Ojibway to share I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so so much
i am heading up there today, well tonight.. i sure hope the weather is good..
He has been there since June, He was transferred over from Newberry, i have only been there once... at that was in July.. its out there in the middle of no where close to nofin lol.. feel free to PM me
Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 AM

Has anyone traveled to Ojibway from some where near Grand Rapids? Just wondering how the drive was. Also would you recommend driving thru the night? Never did it and havent seen my twin bro in a yr and a half. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Hello Ladies,

I'm fairly new to PTO and was wondering if there are any updates about the facility closing. I know it's a level 1 and 2. My boyfriend is worried that he may be moved there after quarentine which is any day now. My cousin is actually up there. My boyfriend heard that 5 prisons in Michigan are in rumor of closing. Which I hope Ojibway is one of them! Please let me know if anybody has information. THANKS!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Welcome Missingyou;
You will gather a lot of wonderful information throughout this site, from alot of very wonderful loving people...so enjoy. Just remember this; with the DOC nothing at all, zilch is acurate till after it happens. Everything you hear is a rumor. Dont get your hopes up, and just believe it when you see it. It takes a very strong woman to deal with this lifestyle, and either you ride till the wheels fall off, or just get out of the race and save your heartache. That statement is not directed just observation over the years. Its all very dirty politics. Even when the rumors start to materialize in some form, it changes. Every time! From programming requirements, availabilities, to release dates, bus therapy HAHA aka transportation budget, tickets(who will see them), closing of facilities, min-max out dates, community assistance, budget allowance (nearly 40k per inmate annually?) Really?, good time, disp credits, it all changes. We are not dealing with a fair and just law, more like Murpheys law (if it can, it will) As for Ojibway that place should be closed, my husband has been there for over 3 weeks, and still cant call me. He can only call some numbers, and the facility blames Embarq, and the carrier, blames my husband, (yeah I guess after 20 years down he doesnt know how to use the phone, riight?) Everytime I call up there the admin asst. answers. Doesnt she have more important things to be taking care of instead of playing secretary? And when they put the phone on hold 3 times Ive heard hammering, and saws running. Addition or teardown, not sure. If they cant run the records dept, correctly, and are that short handed, they should be closed. But will they? Too many factors including employee bardering from non-michigan residence. And the Holy Grail in Lansing. So maybe they should try to house our loved ones in the facility closest to home, if thats full than the next nearest. Whatever it takes to keep us involved as much as possible to assist in our loved ones lives with rehabilitation and emotional growth. Oh thats way to much work for the DOC to make peoples lives easier or better for the outcome. DOCs Greed is disgusting! Greedy little pigs get fed first, Big Fat Hogs get the axe!! With all the new fed budgeting state programs trickeling down, just kick back and watch! LOL
Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your response. I've learned a lot on my own by just reading the forums. I know just about everything you hear is a rumor, I believe someone said 99% of them are rumors and the 1% is false. I know that nothing is set in stone and things will change. We both are keeping our heads up and staying strong for another. It's only been a month and 4 days since he was taken away. He was actually classified today so we shall se were he is sent. Ojibway is 9 hours from me and that trip would have to be a weekend long. By no means is 9 hours going to keep me from going to see him! I will travel the distance to see him. He was told today that he should expect to serve the full sentencing. Before he was taken away the judge said he should expect to spend 8 months in prison and then be moved to a halfway house for the rest of his time. My boyfriend has said that the guards are assholes and tell lies all the time. I know he will be in a level one security and have some freedom and phone calls daily (so we've heard), who knows that may be a lie as well. I'm trying to get as much truth as I can. Thank you again for the welcome and thank you for the information. Every bit helps.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Default help...I want to visit my son

I am looking for at least 3 women to share the cost of gas & board for 3 visits, 2 nights and 3 days to Ojibway, its a 12-14 hr drive I cant seem to get the nerve up to go alone, I am an older widowed mother, my son is 20 yrs old. I live in Oakland County, Pontiac area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyswife48838 View Post

Last edited by Johnnies mom; 07-22-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 AM

Possible trip to ojibway from the detroit area
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Anyone planning a trip to Ojibway when the weather breaks??? I'm new here and would be willing to share expenses.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM

What city are you in?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM

I'm planning a trip to Ojibway during spring break.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Hi girls. I live in Saginaw. I could meet you wherever! I'm so excited! I miss him sooo much! I have a car but it just won't make it 10+ hours. I would love to share expenses. I have PM'd you both and hope that we can coordinate this and make it work. yay! I'm on Spring break through the 7th also!