Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Old 02-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Ponti's Rib

Default Marquette Branch Prison

can anyone tell me about marquette? my boyfriend put in for a transfer from kinross to macomb to be closer to home but they packed him up and sent him further up to marquette! he HATES IT! they don't even have a microwave and the officers are petty as ever handing out L.O.P tickets at the drop of a hat!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

I don't know anything about the facility... But, I can answer questions about the town, how to get there etc...... The facility is real old like in the movies and made of stone/brick... I used to go in there years ago as a volunteer for a groupd for inmates "soon to be released."

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 02-06-2004, 05:23 PM

john was at marquette from jackson...yeah, marquette is one of the oldest facilities. john hated it too...they gave him a ticket for refusing to shovel snow (he has a heart murmor). nope...no microwaves and they can order peanut butter & jelly but NO bread !!!....now how stupid is that ??

sande
Old 02-06-2004, 06:29 PM
He's Home!!! :0)

Hmmm that scares me to no end. Brian just put in for a transfer to come closer to home due to my medical problems...I'm thinking he should rescind that ASAP. It's bad enough only seeing him once a month, if they send him any farther away, it will be much less than that

Michelle
Old 02-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I worked as a nurse at Marquette Branch. I've seen some things that would make the hardest heart shudder. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 02-09-2004, 10:40 AM

Just curious if he was moved from level II (Kinross) to Level I? Marquette, I thought was Level I OR Level V. I know they have been doing a lot of moving to proper levels. My son was in Kinross for nearly a year Level II when all of a sudden they moved him to Hiawatha (Level I) because he was supposed to be at a level I not level II.

He does not really like it much though at Hiawatha. There was more to do at Kinross. He loved playing softball, soccer, & football there...

He is playing hockey at Hiawatha but he just doesn't care for it as much, it has a pod type system at at Kinross they had a set up "like bedrooms" where you had a key to your room.. He doesn't have that know and he does not like that. Also, he had his watch taken away because somehow the receipt for it got lost so he caught a minor ticket for that at Hiawatha.

He has not had a single ticket since he has been in..

Well, if he was changed to his proper level this could explain why. I have also heard that when you request a change closer to home they move you father away... They really don't care if they are close to home or far. I think my son said he will not ever be sent to the prison that is 30 miles from home because too many people know him there (guards and the like)...

I did though also hear that they do move them closer to home just before they are released.

Hugs,

Jodi
The state of Michigan has 17,000 inmates incarcerated beyond their release date. Costing taxpayers 497 MILLION dollars a year. That would fund alot of education! Outraged? Contact your Senators, Representatives and Governor!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 PM

I don't know much about it either. But it makes me feel better about my hubby transferring. If the imates that put in for transfers closer to home get sent farther away, I should have no problem. He is already as far away as you could get. LOL Anywhere in Michigan is closer. That gives me a little hope.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Ponti's Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdancer
Just curious if he was moved from level II (Kinross) to Level I? Marquette, I thought was Level I OR Level V. I know they have been doing a lot of moving to proper levels. My son was in Kinross for nearly a year Level II when all of a sudden they moved him to Hiawatha (Level I) because he was supposed to be at a level I not level II.

He does not really like it much though at Hiawatha. There was more to do at Kinross. He loved playing softball, soccer, & football there...

He is playing hockey at Hiawatha but he just doesn't care for it as much, it has a pod type system at at Kinross they had a set up "like bedrooms" where you had a key to your room.. He doesn't have that know and he does not like that. Also, he had his watch taken away because somehow the receipt for it got lost so he caught a minor ticket for that at Hiawatha.

He has not had a single ticket since he has been in..

Well, if he was changed to his proper level this could explain why. I have also heard that when you request a change closer to home they move you father away... They really don't care if they are close to home or far. I think my son said he will not ever be sent to the prison that is 30 miles from home because too many people know him there (guards and the like)...

I did though also hear that they do move them closer to home just before they are released.

Hugs,

Jodi

yes he was moved from kinross to the level 1 of marquette... it's more like camp style... a bunch of beds in a room. he HATES it. he said if they were going to do that they couild have moved him down the street to Hiawatha~
Old 02-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Round 2

Well as far as I'm concerned they don't feed them enough food. Rob went in wighing 210 pds he now weighs 170 or less. He stands 6'2. I'm thinking they need to up the amts on food or let them order more for the in b/w meals. Peanut butter but no bread......HOW STUPID!! I think they feed them just enough to survive and NO MORE!

Stacy
Old 05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Awaiting hubby's release

Hello...

I can tell you as well what Marquette Branch Prison is all about. My hubby is in Marquette and he has been there for the last 3-4 1/2 years now. Eveytime I go to visit him, the prison has a fit b'cuz they have to deal with me as I am in a wheel chair. They DO NOT have a handicapped ramp there for anyone who needs it to use to go into the facilities. They are being taken through the level 5 sally port and risking the lives of the visitor and they have refused to put one in since the building is a historical building ( building built in 1800's). The COs there are rude to the public, they mistreat the inmates, etc. I seen with my own 2 eyes coming in for a visit on these CO's in action with inmate by using shields with built in mace on them, etc. This was inside of the level 5 building as the visiting room is in the level 5 building. The State of Michigan will not change the rules of that facilities for those who are handicapped. They also limit the inmates just so many minutes outside, love to push the pen and tickets for every little thing that each inmate does and most of all, IF you have a loved in that facility, they will have a hard time getting out on a parole. They are at least 2-3 years behind in paroling inmates out that are passed they minimum outdates.

inmateswife
Old 06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Awaiting hubby's release

Shell21001,

As harsh as it may sound, putting in for a transfer may NOT get him closer to home due to your health. I have health problems as well as not being able to drive a long distance and they had moved my hubby further away from me until I got the idea to move closer to him. Now I am only 1 hour away from him. Good Luck!!~

inmateswife
Old 06-17-2006, 11:07 AM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

My fiance was in Marquette and he hated it. It is a horrible place to have to visit ( 3 hour visits for level 1 ) it sucked. It's a miserable place. Also while he was there he started attending Bible Study on Thur. night and one of the volunteers named Stacey was trying to hit on him and even asked to be put on his visitor list. I have nothing good to say about Marquette Branch.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Ex - Inmate

Well I can tell anyone just about anything of Marquette Branch Prison Level 1
I was sent there straight from jackson after my 30 day stay there and spent my 13 months in that hell hole, Just ask me im sure i can help, Been out now for 2 years and feel bad for anyone that has a loved one in that dump..

Last edited by k8tkf; 01-01-2007 at 11:06 PM..
Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 PM

hello my name is jack lash and my uncle kook is slowly dying there please reply
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Oh my God!! I can't believe what I am reading about this place. My husband was just sent there this past Friday from Hiawatha after serving 1 1/2 years there. He only has 1 year left to serve for his min release date. I was so happy when he called home and told me that he was moving but at that time we didn't know where he was moving. He actually thought that any place was going to be better than Hiawatha. But now I'm thinking this may be even worse. I've noticed that most of the postings about this location are pretty old at least 3 years old.

Except for you Jack, you just posted last month. My husband is in level 1 so it has to be different than level 5. Is there anyone out there that can set my mind at ease and let me have some hope for my husband or has this move really been the worse thing for him? If anyone can tell me something please let me know. The other thing is today is Tuesday and he has been there since Friday. I called up there today to see if he was allowed to call home due to him being new and the person who answered the phone said yes that he could have called the first day. Now I know my husband and if he could have called the first night I know that he would have but I still haven't heard from him. So I'm worried now.

Also I was looking on the corrections website and they had something about the prison and then they mentioned that Level 1 was located 6 miles away at Mangum Farm but when I called today they said that no longer is correct EVERYONE is at the same place. God I feel so lost right now especially because I can not hear his voice and I don't know for sure that he is ok.

If anyone can help please comment.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
His Wife
Donation Award 

My fiance was moved from Hiawatha after being there almost 2 years to Marquette yesterday after being told he was being moved to a camp. I am so upset!!!!!!!!! They lied to him, they moved him because his cousin got moved there and the only connect they have between the two is a case my boyfriend caught when he was a kid and used his name as a alias. I called Marquette and visiting hours are only 3 hours a day. I feel like that is punishment. I have to come 7 1/2 hours to visit for 3 hours is crazy. Even though I was not so happy with Hiawatha, I had gotten comfortable with that area and found stuff to do to while I was there. We were supposed to be getting married and this has delayed us again. On top of that I talked to him and he said his youngest son's mother's boyfriend is there too. He has never meet this guy but the guy came up to him and asked him his name and even told him she sent him a picture of him. They have never met before but my fiance knows that this is the man who introduced her to drugs which made her children get taken away from her. She stopped visiting him a year after he got locked up and has not seen his son since he was 2 years old. He has been doing so well and I want him to continue to do well. I asked him did he want me to call up there or write a letter and he said he is ok and would not give me the guys information, I think he feels he will be moved further away to Ojibway or something. I rather visit hm farther away then for him to get in any trouble.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 PM

i know how hard it is when your loved one gets moved further away, especially after you've gotten used to the vibe in the visiting room at a certain facility... my man has been transferred four different times in the last year to various facilities up north and it has been very hard on us. now he's at Ojibway... With each transfer, We feared he'd be moved to Ojibway, so now that he's there, i feel some solace because i know he can't be moved any further from home than he already is (trying to look at the bright side )

anyway, i just wanted to comment that Marquette Level I is technically a part of the camp system. although it doesn't have "camp" at the beginning, it's still considered a camp on the books. although you can never trust MDOC's word, i don't think they misled him when they said he'd be transferred to a camp since Marquette Level 1 is considered a part of that system. i hope that helps. i'm a few days late so your man has probably already told you all of that

keep your head up! don't let them get in your head. they want to make visiting harder on families so you go visit your man despite the limited hours. you'd think guys at Ojibway would get no visits, but i've been up there three different times and stayed 3-4 days each time and the visiting room stayed packed. i applaud those families who don't let the distance get in the way of visits.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Awaiting hubby's release

Default Marquette Branch Prison

Hi Michiganders!

My hubby is in Marquette Branch Prison too and I hate to go and visit that horrible place. Yes, they give out L.O.P tickets at the drop of a hat, no bread (LOL) for their PB&J. They have to purchase crackers from the prison store for the PB&J ! My hubby has been there since his transfer from Kinross back in 2002 so he has been here at Marquette for the last 6 years. Now I have noticed that one of you here has health problems, well, let me fill you in on something; I was involved in an auto accident back in 2003 and was on my death bed and they would NOT transfer him from Marquette to lower Michigan (Muskegon Co. area) to one of the prisons there. Marquette DOES NOT care about your loved one that is in prison. They are a very cold hearted prison as Marquette has been around since the 1800's. They will not even put a handicap ramp on their building for those who are in wheel chairs. Their excuse is this: "Marquette Prison is an historical building so we shouldn't have to be handicapped excessed" this came from Lansing, that quote. I have had it out many times with their guards and Lansing over this as I am in a wheel Chair now. My hubby has also been at them to do the same so I can visit it more and they still won't put one in. They say: "we have a handicapped access for those in wheel chairs by taking them through our delivery gates like we would bring in the inmates then around to the Level 5 Sally port then through other gates into the building" Now how safe is that to the public? As far as I am concerned, that isn't safe at all.

I am now waiting to see what laws they are going to pass now for these inmates to be release for good time and the TIS bill plus the Second Chance Act Law. Has anyone heard anything more? I have been looking, reading, printing out and sending to hubby what I find here but its not telling him what they really are going to do about all this.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Awaiting hubby's release

NewAfrikanLove ,

Hi .... I admire your thinking when it comes to not letting distance come between you and your loved one whom is in prison but let me tell you this; you're right, we shouldn't BUT .... when a person is incapable of getting there on there own (wheel chair bound) and needs someone to go with them to sign you in for that visit because Marquette Prison wants to be butt heads and not bring the sign-in sheet out to you, then distance does get in the way of you and your loved one. I am in that spot right now. I haven't been able to see my hubby for over 6 mos now because I have no one that will go with me to sign me in ( I guess to those ppl, I am hassle to deal with). Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to be rude but it does create a problem for those who cannot climb stairs.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Awaiting hubby's release

Hi Sonia~

I hope by now you have heard from your hubby. Yes, Marquette Branch Prison is a hell hole and it has n will get worse before it gets better. Since my last post on this subject, my hubby has reported that there are many new things taking place, such as a possiblility for those who are awaiting to be released out from their minimum (I dont see that happening) and they (the prison) has lessoned their food amounts again.. I don't see Marquette getting any better until our loved ones are released. My hubby has been at Marquette now since 2002. He First went to Jackson then from there to Kinross, then to Marquette and had been there since 2002 to 2008 as I have stated already. He has been incarrcerated for the last 8 years as an SO and I don't see him being released until our youngest is 18 (she will be 16 this yr Nov.) but being an SO, the state WILL hold them until there max date. My hubby's max date is: June/July 2016. I know none of what we all are saying about Marquette is comforting, but keep your head up; they CANNOT hold him past his MAX DATE!!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Default i need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricenia View Post
can anyone tell me about marquette? my boyfriend put in for a transfer from kinross to macomb to be closer to home but they packed him up and sent him further up to marquette! he HATES IT! they don't even have a microwave and the officers are petty as ever handing out L.O.P tickets at the drop of a hat!!!
hi my name is tasha and my boybriend is in the same prison in level 1 and i would like to find someone in there to help me find out if he is using me and selling my pics in there and i need help finding out could you ask you man to check it out for me his name is gerard wright # 451529 please
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM

hi i would like some help i'm in a relationship with a prisoner and i think hes just using me and i was wondering if anyone here could ask their man to look around and see if gerard wright #451529 is selling my pics and find out if hes just using me for money while hes in there i dont want him to find out but i need to know please someone help me
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Account Closed

My hubby has been at MBP since Nov. 2009 and I make the 8 hr. 500 mile drive every 3 months or so to visit. It is not one of the most pleasant prisons to be at (but which one really is??) but I have to disagree with a lot of the posters here. I have never had a CO that was rude to me. The CO that normally runs the front desk even knows my first name and my hubby's prison # from memory! My hubby has been 100% ticket free his entire bid, he has never had a problem with the CO's because he shows them respect - and they respect him in return. He has always held a job - four different ones and each one has always been a step up. He has gotten along very well with all his work bosses. He has never been in a fight and has mutual respect with the other inmates. I guess it all depends on the inmate's attitude and how they choose to do their bid. My hubby prefers to follow the rules, does what he's supposed to and doesn't make any waves. There is absolutely nothing the CO's can hold against him and they don't pick on him at all.

And as far as someone saying that they don't parole very often and are behind other prisons - show me your stats on that please! I don't agree. Every time I talk to my hubby he tells me about all the guys he knows that have gotten their paroles - 1st time thru seeing the board. Yes, there are some who still get flops or deferrals usually because they need to take group first. Not uncommon at all the prisons. From what the ARUS says, everything is being directed out of Lansing now. The prisons don't have much discretion in making decisions anymore.

The level 1 units are two-man cells not pods with 8 guys in it. Level 1 inmates are never co-mingled with Level 5 and they are separated by "the wall", different yard times, different chow times, different visiting times.

The restrictions at the prison are based on the fact that this is considered a Level 5 prison, not level 1. It was built for max security. Level 1 was added due to a bed space shortage, it was never designed for that. Because of the level 5, the level 1 inmates have to be subjected to many of the same restrictions too, although they are allowed to get more store items than the level 5's. So no microwaves, no pop machines, no hot food machines for visits (just chips/candy), only 3 hr. visits which sucks the most having to drive that far just to visit. But hey...the water tastes good! Hubby was at RMI in Ionia for a few months before being shipped up north and he said the water out of the faucet was brownish yellow and that's what they have to drink - no bottled water!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM

Grace I'm glad u don't look at everything in a all bad light. My guy is at marquette too but he is being paroled to rsat which is good but bad. Cause its 6 months and that's more time away from me and our kids. Well at least I will be able to see him
Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottn View Post
I worked as a nurse at Marquette Branch. I've seen some things that would make the hardest heart shudder. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Hello i am so frantic at the fact that after my son was sentence to 8 mths at thumb cirrectional he was there found to be schixophrentic & depressive he said he always heard voices and his dad said he always have heard demons too. Now my son is at Marquette prison level.5 and is said to be taking his meds. My son never harmed anyone its what comes out his mouth that gets him in trouble and of course when it comes to the consequences he dont know anyyhing. I am afraid my son may die there i worry all day long he wrote me before he got there saying, he will be ok that this wont break him, whatever that means but he got flopped twice so he wont get out until 2016 or later and i have his lil bro who is 7 who now is getting counseling cause he dont understand why his brother cant come home. I pray the gpvernment will change and make facilities for mental people. I dont know what to do how to help my son or anything! Could you shed a lil light, i know it cant be much he is in prison!