Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Kastraea Kastraea is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, MI, USA
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Marquette Branch Prison

Hi Everyone,
My name is Kristy. I'm a devastated sister of a brother that is being transferred to Marquette Branch Prison as a Level 1 Prisoner. His earliest release date (which judge recommended) is October 14, 2011. I need to know anything and everything someone can tell me about that prison. Good things, bad things, etc. I read one brief thread about it, but that was it. If anyone can help, that would be great.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one...

Thanks,

kristy
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Tim's Hope Tim's Hope is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southwest LP
Posts: 275
Thanks: 164
Thanked 258 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraea View Post
Hi Everyone,
My name is Kristy. I'm a devastated sister of a brother that is being transferred to Marquette Branch Prison as a Level 1 Prisoner. His earliest release date (which judge recommended) is October 14, 2011. I need to know anything and everything someone can tell me about that prison. Good things, bad things, etc. I read one brief thread about it, but that was it. If anyone can help, that would be great.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one...

Thanks,

kristy
Unfortunately, there are more bad things then good about it, but that is true with any prison. My fiance has been there since November 2009, Level I.

Good Things:

The cops are pretty laid back and are not big into ticket writing as long as you don't give them a reason to.

The visiting is also pretty laid back as well. Mainly because most guys don't get regular visits because of the distance and the cops understand this so they don't hassle people too much by being sticklers for the rules, but you still need to be careful, it's not a free-for-all.

Unlike the majority of level I prisons, the guys are housed in 2 man rooms instead of 8 man pods. This gives more privacy and mutual respect, as long as you get along with your bunkie that is.

There is a chapel for worship and other opportunities like that for those who choose to participate.

The water is good. Not brown or yellow like other places.

Bad Things:

The drive!! It takes me a little over 8 hours to get there (approx. 500 miles one way)

The visiting hours suck only three hours! 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM Tuesday through Sunday, no Monday visits. This is the only prison in the state that has such short visiting hours. Why? I don't know. Because they can! One would think that being so far away from civilization they would have longer hours, but nope! Better plan on getting a motel and staying a couple days to make the trip worth it. I can give you motel suggestions.

There are no hot food vending machines in the visiting room like there are at most of the other prisons. Plan on eating chips and candy. There are two pop machines too (bottles).

There are no pictures available either.

The phone times are more limited than the other prisons. The phones get turned off at 10:00 pm each night. The phone lines also get long too and with all the count times, it is hard to make a phone call.

MBP also has the most food restrictions too. The guys are not allowed to get a lot of the foods that are offered at other prisons, I am told because it is also a level 5 prison. Like no chicken because the bones can be turned into shanks. That will change real soon though as the DOC has gone into starvation mode for all the prisons to save $$. Everyone will have to do without all over.

MBP also has the most restrictions on store items as well. For some reason, they cannot get a lot of the store items that other prisoners elsewhere can get. Again, I don't know why it is not uniform for everyone. Even the care packages the family can send is severely limited compared to the other prisons. Don't quite seem fair to me.

There are no special classes or groups offered at MBP, like AOP or SOP. There is a computer literacy class that is taught. Not much work available either.

The count times occur more frequently that at other prisons, again because it is also a level 5.

The medical care is probably no better or worse than any other prison in the state.

The guys don't have the ability to do "cook up's" as easily at MBP, no microwave or coffee warmer.

In the wintertime it is extremely cold and windy up there because the prison sits right on Lake Superior. The prison is very cold and drafty.

The morale there is very low. There are a lot of long-termers and lifers there. Very depressive atmosphere.

There is no natural light coming into the prison. If you want to see the sun or daylight you have to go out into the yard.

MBP is the oldest prison in the state. Opened in 1889. It looks like an old castle (for real). I personally do not understand why they have not closed it because it certainly cannot be cost effective to operate it. Marquette is a pretty big town with Northern MI University being there. There are a lot of historical sites to see too. Nice place to visit in the summer but cold and snowy in the winter.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask or PM me if you want.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 AM
RAJustice's Avatar
RAJustice RAJustice is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,056
Thanks: 493
Thanked 803 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Yep, it is like an old castle. The pavement is all broken and heaved up. I wouldn't want to have to respond to an emergency by running across that pavement. Those level V units are a nightmare. Imagine being made to walk up and down three tiers of narrow, shaky, metal stairs wearing nothing but a towel and leg and wrist irons in a dark, damp, freezing cold cement block building to take a ten minute shower in a stall that looks like they borrowed it from the campground down the road.

I've never seen the inside of the level I units. Hope they're better.

RA
__________________
Max Date 05/30/2019
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Tim's Hope Tim's Hope is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southwest LP
Posts: 275
Thanks: 164
Thanked 258 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJustice View Post
Yep, it is like an old castle. The pavement is all broken and heaved up. I wouldn't want to have to respond to an emergency by running across that pavement. Those level V units are a nightmare. Imagine being made to walk up and down three tiers of narrow, shaky, metal stairs wearing nothing but a towel and leg and wrist irons in a dark, damp, freezing cold cement block building to take a ten minute shower in a stall that looks like they borrowed it from the campground down the road.

I've never seen the inside of the level I units. Hope they're better.

RA
The pavement has apparently been fixed since you were there last. I have been there three times since January and I never noticed any broken pavement. I can't speak for the level 5 block, but the level 1 blocks are nothing like the 5's. The showers are decent, some are open and a couple are private (with a curtain). The cells have a steel crapper and sink. Movement is only restricted during count times and store day and the cell doors are always left open unless there is a prison lockdown.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM
RAJustice's Avatar
RAJustice RAJustice is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,056
Thanks: 493
Thanked 803 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim's Hope View Post
The pavement has apparently been fixed since you were there last. I have been there three times since January and I never noticed any broken pavement. I can't speak for the level 5 block, but the level 1 blocks are nothing like the 5's. The showers are decent, some are open and a couple are private (with a curtain). The cells have a steel crapper and sink. Movement is only restricted during count times and store day and the cell doors are always left open unless there is a prison lockdown.
The pavement visible to the public was fine when I was there. But when I went inside for a tour it was not. I hope they have fixed it. Better yet I hope they close it and tear it down.

RA
__________________
Max Date 05/30/2019
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Tim's Hope Tim's Hope is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southwest LP
Posts: 275
Thanks: 164
Thanked 258 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJustice View Post
The pavement visible to the public was fine when I was there. But when I went inside for a tour it was not. I hope they have fixed it. Better yet I hope they close it and tear it down.

RA

Oh, that I don't know about. I have never been on a tour and really wouldn't want to either for that matter. I personally have thought that the State should close it down as a prison, and open it up as a museum and make a profit off of it. I pray this one is on the chopping block for closures.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics