Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Default CSC Classes at Ojibway?

My son has to take a CSC class before his Parole Hearing...which we have awhile but MDOC moves pretty slow. my son was told by others around him that they dont offer this class at Ojibway, yet when we had our pastor call there he was told that they did offer it, but it is backlogged and they would make sure he takes it before he is up for parole. My son is adament that they dont offer it there....would the office at Ojibway lie? possibly, I dont trust anyone any more. Has anyone you know taken this class at this facility??? thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 PM
His Queen Forever! <3

I don't know if they offer it there or not. However, things have changed some in the last year. Now, he will be given a psych eval and depending on how that goes will determine if he has to take SOP (what the csc class/group is really called). If he does still have to take it inside (as opposed to outside on parole or not at all), please brace yourself for the high chance he may not get into it before his ERD. Many past their erd's are those needing sop or aop (both are also referred to as simply 'group'). The wait list are very long. Some are lucky and do get into group before erd and get a parole first chance. Many, however, don't get into group until 6months+ past erd which results in 1 or 2 flops (parole denials) because of not yet having the required group. Group is also 6 months long (unless the length has changed in the last year or changes in the future). There is also nothing anyone can do to get an inmate into group faster. The list goes by soonest erd so is always changing and if the inmate is in a facility that still offers group.

And yes, the facility would lie. Since they told the person who called that they would make sure he was in group before parole and me knowing that the facility has no control over it, only Lansing & the psych department does, then I wouldn't be surprised if they also lied about group being offered there.

Many facilities that use to offer group no longer do. We have heard that MDOC plans to offer group at only 1 facility in the near future in hopes of being able to offer more groups at one time and get the men done with it prior to erd. It was said that for SOP the facility would be West Shoreline in Muskegon Heights. Of course, this is just what was stated by a psych and I do not take the word of any mdoc employee as truth until it's proven without a doubt, as all are not above lying.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:04 PM

Thank You for the info.....it sucks, but hopefully he will get to take the class before parole.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 AM

My son was 4 months into AOP and they transferred him (because of an issue) and lowered his classification level to a I. Now, he has to start it all over again! The counselor is waiting for his transcripts from his old place to see if he can just float into the AOP class that is going on now at his current place. He was flopped once because of AOP...I sure hope they don't flop him again because he didn't finish. It wasn't his fault. He didn't want to be transferred so he could finish the class, but alas....MDOC thinks they are doing him a favor by transferring him and lowering his classification level. He wasn't at Ojibway but I am sure it's the same all over MDOC.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 AM
His Queen Forever! <3

Donteenac - You're most welcome. Best of luck & I hope also they get him atleast into group before his first parole hearing. If he is in it, then chances are good they will defer decision until group is over & they have the psych report. They will also require a psych eval before they make a decision (a law was signed in & effective in 2011 that all convicted for a csc must have a psych eval done prior to paroling whether they have done group or not) - this one is stupid to me. If they finished group & got a good report why are they now wasting more time & money to also make them get a psych eval? i so can't wait to be done with MDOC!

Aww pookie that sucks! They are not suppose to transfer an inmate if they are in group. Leveling down is not a reason to pull someone out from group; my memory says only disciplinary & "locking up" is only reason they can transfer while inmate is in group. I would, if I was you & him, contact the ombudsman about that.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM

I know...he was in temp seg but caught no ticket (he wasn't fighting) and they had to transfer him (he was a victim of a theft...his TV...and the theif thought my son was snitching..he was not...and threatened to kill him, in front of a CO...so my son was taken to temp seg and transferred out to a lower level). He's checking into just floating into the AOP class at his current facility and is waiting for his AOP teacher to send his reports and such (he had to put it in writing, as she wouldn't talk to me about it, even though he signed a release). He was ALMOST done! He's 3 months PAST his ERD!! I talked to the admin asst and he said the Board might take that into consideration, since it wasn't my son's fault he was transferred. Keep your finger's crossed on that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Diosa View Post
Donteenac -
Aww pookie that sucks! They are not suppose to transfer an inmate if they are in group. Leveling down is not a reason to pull someone out from group; my memory says only disciplinary & "locking up" is only reason they can transfer while inmate is in group. I would, if I was you & him, contact the ombudsman about that.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:34 AM
His Queen Forever! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiedoo2 View Post
I know...he was in temp seg but caught no ticket (he wasn't fighting) and they had to transfer him (he was a victim of a theft...his TV...and the theif thought my son was snitching..he was not...and threatened to kill him, in front of a CO...so my son was taken to temp seg and transferred out to a lower level). He's checking into just floating into the AOP class at his current facility and is waiting for his AOP teacher to send his reports and such (he had to put it in writing, as she wouldn't talk to me about it, even though he signed a release). He was ALMOST done! He's 3 months PAST his ERD!! I talked to the admin asst and he said the Board might take that into consideration, since it wasn't my son's fault he was transferred. Keep your finger's crossed on that one!
AOP is still offered at STF? Thought for sure they stopped offering both groups a year ago there. Atleast that is what the psych's & counselors told everyone, maybe the state changed their minds *shrugs*. Well if they still are running groups then I do hope they let him float in. They should've transfer the other guy though. To me what they did was punish your son for something he didn't do or have control over *shakes head* I hope it all works out in his favor quickly.

Oh, my husband is 2 years past his erd. He didn't finally get into group until 5 months past erd. Right before he started group, the board flopped him again - the board requested to see him 3 times in a 11 month time frame all while knowing he didn't have group yet - of course all 3 times they flopped him because of it *shakes head* and in the end his next reconsideration date ended up being December 2012 which would be 2 1/2 years past his erd - He finished group a couple weeks before he was 1 year past his erd, the pb finally requested to see him again days after 2 years past erd & 6 months before his reconsideration date (so much for us thinking they would see him much earlier with him finishing group). We are awaiting the decision from that hearing.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 PM

I guess they started it back up. From what I understand, it was stopped in all facilities for a bit. I know they have the Cage the Rage at STF. My son was in that, too, before being transferred out. I agree, they should have transferred the other guy (they did, to a level 4) and left my son alone. His RUM ordered the transfer (he had some grievances out against her about Policy Directives she wasn't following). I guess he's OK with the move. Just pissed about his classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Diosa View Post
AOP is still offered at STF? Thought for sure they stopped offering both groups a year ago there. Atleast that is what the psych's & counselors told everyone, maybe the state changed their minds *shrugs*. Well if they still are running groups then I do hope they let him float in. They should've transfer the other guy though. To me what they did was punish your son for something he didn't do or have control over *shakes head* I hope it all works out in his favor quickly.

Oh, my husband is 2 years past his erd. He didn't finally get into group until 5 months past erd. Right before he started group, the board flopped him again - the board requested to see him 3 times in a 11 month time frame all while knowing he didn't have group yet - of course all 3 times they flopped him because of it *shakes head* and in the end his next reconsideration date ended up being December 2012 which would be 2 1/2 years past his erd - He finished group a couple weeks before he was 1 year past his erd, the pb finally requested to see him again days after 2 years past erd & 6 months before his reconsideration date (so much for us thinking they would see him much earlier with him finishing group). We are awaiting the decision from that hearing.