Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region I - West Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Alger Maximum CF, Baraga Maximum CF & Level I, Camp Cusino, Camp Kitwen, Camp Manistique, Marquette Branch Prisons, Ojibway CF, Camp Ottawa

Old 10-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Post Write a letter to Daniel Heyns for longer visits at Marquette Branch Prison

My husband has been at MBP for 8 months. We have a 3 year old son who idolizes his Dad. We drive 7 hours one way for a 3 hour visit. Our visit is often 10-20 minutes shorter than it is supposed to be because people show up late for visits and the guys can't come in until all the visitors are in the visiting room. The guys have to come in through the front door, the same door you use. You do not get the time back at the end of the visit. Level V get 4 hour visits, level 1 only get 3 hours. This is ridiculous! I spoke to Doug Tjapkes from Humanity for Prisoners and he instructed to me write a letter to Daniel Heyns, the Michigan Department of Corrections Director. I encourage all of you to do so as well. I am going to start a petition ASAP and I would like everyone to sign it. You must be a registered voter to sign it. Registering is easy. You can get a form from DHS, the Secretary or State, the post office, or any branch of your local government. Please help us get longer visits with our loved ones!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,483 Times in 17,288 Posts

Hello and welcome to PTO! Yeah, visits are a mess at many prisons and I'm sorry yours are cut short Can you get extended visits due to the distance you drive?

I've moved your thread to the Michigan sub-forum for that facility. When you've created your petition, please create a new thread in the Petition forum and post the link, or pm the link to me or any Moderator and we'll add the link to your post

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 AM
In His Space
Donation Award 

I will definitely sign it when you create the petition. I have a cousin there and I would hate to think his mother and aunt would go through such issues. Most of these visitation conditions are crazy.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Thank you all so much! I have the petition ready!
I will post a new thread with the link.
The Following User Says Thank You to jallen0405 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-09-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Staying Positive...

Any update to this?
Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 AM

I only have 3 signatures on the petition. Please go to Forums, 911, prison petitions and click on Longer Visits at Marquette Branch Prison. The link is included on this page. Thank you so much! We just had our 3rd visit of the year (he has been gone since January) and we lost 27 minutes of one visit due to visitors arriving late so we ended up visiting a 3rd time and driving home afterward. Scary driving at night with a 3 year old, in the UP, in the rain with no cell coverage. Any help would be appreciated by my husband, my son and myself more than we could ever say.