Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Default Tablets: JP5mini (4.3” tablet) for $79.99 vs JP5S (7” tablet) for $129?

My friend's facility will soon be offering tablets. I was wondering if anyone with experience with these would be willing to share their opinions of them.

They will be offering the JP5mini (4.3” tablet) for $79.99 or the JP5S (7” tablet) for $129.99.

Can you tell me your experiences regarding battery usage and efficiency . Ease of use, amount of storage.

My friend isn't sure which direction to go. He is thinking the smaller one might be better due to battery efficiency, but is concerned about the limited memory space.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 AM
She's Home! Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,938 Posts

I don’t have a ton of knowledge on those specific tablets, but I will say that a 7 inch screen is going to be easier for him to read than a 4.3 inch screen. Consider that most smart phones have larger screens than that these days.....unless money is really tight, I think he should go with the 7 inch screen just on principle.

Keep in mind that battery life in the devices is going to deteriorate over time in either case.

My only instance where I’d say go with the 4.3 is if he has a large music collection and doesn’t intend to use the device for reading or other apps. But prison music is not cheap in my experience.....
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. Battery consumption is a real concern due to they will probably have to be run on AA or AAA batteries as they really don't have any other way to charge things unlike those of us on the outside.

We would definitely go with the larger one normally, but depending on battery efficiency, it might be better to go with a smaller one that won't drain the batteries so fast.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 PM

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend in Jail View Post
Thanks for the reply. Battery consumption is a real concern due to they will probably have to be run on AA or AAA batteries as they really don't have any other way to charge things unlike those of us on the outside.

We would definitely go with the larger one normally, but depending on battery efficiency, it might be better to go with a smaller one that won't drain the batteries so fast.
Hmmmm......again, not knowing specifics, I do know that at least here in California inmates are allowed to have rechargable batteries purchased for them, which would eliminate some of this concern (and frankly be easier than a built-in battery in that they're easier to replace when they start to go bad.) Might be something to check into to see if rechargables are available/allowed. That would help cut down on battery costs either way.

I should probably research the tablet to see if there's information on whether they run off an external battery (like AA or AAA) or if they run off a built-in battery (lithium-ion I'd imagine.)
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 PM

PTO Site Moderator 

Okay, a little information from JPay themselves beyond their basic product page which doesn't talk about batteries or battery life....

https://blog.jpay.com/jp5-101/

Buried in the comments section is this comment. Which doesn't really answer the question about the battery type unfortunately but indicates that the tablets in some cases do have built-in batteries....

From the "JPayModerator" on that page's comment section:

"In Florida, the JP5 player will have a rechargeable lithium battery. Unfortunately, at this time the JPay tablets are not available in all facilities. When it does become available for all, everyone will be notified of its release and its additional features. Thanks!"

So we know in Florida the battery is built-in. Whether or not this is true in other states or in all states is not indicated. My initial thought would be that these tablets all have built-in batteries and that inmates can charge them up in their cells, but I could be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Friend in Jail (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Beach Girl

I know the ones in Colorado you plug them into the wall.. he can do music, news, and Messages through the connect network.

The Following User Says Thank You to MissStar For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:25 PM

PERFECT! Florida is actually the state info I need. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 01:44 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,001 Times in 1,831 Posts

Anybody know if anywhere has books available for download in prison on these devices?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
Anybody know if anywhere has books available for download in prison on these devices?
That's what we were talking about in that other thread.

JPay doesn't offer e-books yet, but these tablets would be perfect for such a venture if they could get one of the big bookstores (Amazon or B&N) to partner with them.

Funny how prisons allow all these entertainment options (music and video games) for prisoners to chill out and relax with on those devices, but won't offer e-books yet...
Old 01-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,001 Times in 1,831 Posts

"Funny how prisons allow all these entertainment options (music and video games) for prisoners to chill out and relax with on those devices, but won't offer e-books yet..."

As an avid fiction reader that does not listen to any music nor play games I am constantly peeved by this.

I use my library's Overdrive e-book feature daily both for reading with my eyes and with my ears. I feel like readers are being ignore! ;-(
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-15-2018), MrsDeeKay (01-16-2018), Nickel Timer (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 04:16 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,788 Posts

That seems so expensive. My husbands was 20$
Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Beach Girl

My husband just gets books from their library. He actually prefers the hard copy real version. But I definitely think e books should 100% be an option!

Also, being unrealistic and ridiculous, I’d also like to see FaceTime or Skype on it so I can see him... as well as a teleportation app. Lol

Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 PM

PTO Site Moderator 

E-Books would be smart. A connection to something like Overdrive would be smart. Just my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
That seems so expensive. My husbands was 20$
My bf's was $20 also, so mention for your LO to ask about introductory price s or sale, he got the small one, music use mainly, photos I send through jpay, audiobook also, he has been very happy with it so far, it allows him to ignore some stuff and sort of a mental 'get away' so to speak. I think he charges by his bunk.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:12 PM

FL is offering them at half price for a short period of time when they are first released.
The Following User Says Thank You to Friend in Jail For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprits View Post
My bf's was $20 also, so mention for your LO to ask about introductory price s or sale, he got the small one, music use mainly, photos I send through jpay, audiobook also, he has been very happy with it so far, it allows him to ignore some stuff and sort of a mental 'get away' so to speak. I think he charges by his bunk.
My husband also said that when he comes home he can send it to Jpay and they will unlock it so he can use it at home. I don't know why he would want to do that. I'm buying him a new computer and phone. He won't need it lol
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
As an avid fiction reader that does not listen to any music nor play games I am constantly peeved by this.

I use my library's Overdrive e-book feature daily both for reading with my eyes and with my ears. I feel like readers are being ignore! ;-(
I'm totally with you, safran.

If I were running things, I'd have allowed e-books in there before even entertaining the idea of music and games.

It's one thing for prisoners to be able to have leisure devices to expand their minds, but if you introduce too many mindless entertainment options and make things too comfy for prisoners in there, it no longer becomes punishment but rather adult daycare.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:08 PM

Default Tablets in Federal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
I'm totally with you, safran.

If I were running things, I'd have allowed e-books in there before even entertaining the idea of music and games.

It's one thing for prisoners to be able to have leisure devices to expand their minds, but if you introduce too many mindless entertainment options and make things too comfy for prisoners in there, it no longer becomes punishment but rather adult daycare.
Do you know if they have tablets in Federal Prisons?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
Do you know if they have tablets in Federal Prisons?
I don't believe so.

They don't allow personal television sets in federal either, which would have to suck.