Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

View Poll Results: How far do you drive for visits?
Less than an hour 504 8.90%
1-2 hours 838 14.80%
2-3 hours 936 16.53%
3-4 hours 797 14.07%
4 or more hours 2,588 45.70%
Voters: 5663. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2018, 02:04 AM

Flight for 6 hours then a 3hr drive to see him! Unfortunately I cant visit him as often but I try as much as I can
a.rare.love (06-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 PM
His Since 2006

He was just transferred 5 hours away so we went from 1.5 hours away to 5

Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 PM

Default Youíll work it out

I have one son 1 1/2 hours away and another 5 hours away and we travel every weekend to be with our loved ones.

During a visit out of town, We stayed at the hotel suite last weekend (to visit 2 days in a row) and made jail food for dinner. I actually perfected making a thick pizza crust wrap from tortillas... in the microwave! Thatís what they ate for dinner at the jail. Itís interesting to taste the food that my son is eating. Our visits are well worth it. We played a game with the whole family to go around and say a word that starts with every letter in the alphabet as fast as you can. We laughed so hard for hours! None of us could do it and we died laughing while trying. We always get a lot of attention in the visitation room. Iím not a prisoner and I make myself at home. Iíll be damned if I get restricted from having fun and spreading love with my family. Please keep the visits up. They mean a lot. They need you for that connection. And they need to see your face. And feel your hugs and kiss when leave them, until you see them again. Going back on May 5th. Canít wait!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOULinONE For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-09-2018), mommatrip (05-27-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Donation Award 

Well, until February our son was only 45 minutes away, in a county jail (which sucked) waiting to be sentenced for Fed. and I would visit once a week, if there were no big snowstorms! Then it was nothing, a few texts (that was nice) and a couple phone calls, not many letters until he got to his new "home" a few weeks ago in Minnesota. It's an 11 hour drive & oh, boy, at 60 my back & hips are gonna be MAD at me, but we'll be going at the end of May, around his Birthday. I think I will get there every few months (I have a very flexible schedule) Papa will go twice a year (no flex schedule there!) and wife...well, we'll see - it's a long way & expensive for her to miss work & all. We write a lot & share his phone minutes, but...god I miss that kid! Dammit
Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 PM
#CanfieldWifey

15 hrs straight there, visit for 5 hrs day 5 hrs Sunday and then 15 hrs back Sunday after visit, twice a month. ������
Old 05-27-2018, 08:18 PM
Donation Award 

11 hours to get here, get to visit Sat & Sun 8:30-3:30 (I left at 11:30 on Sunday to give Son & Wife some time of their own) Tomorrow we will visit for a couple hours before we hit the road with 10-11 hour return home. WORTH it! His 30th Birthday will be the 31st, so this was so nice to spend time together. Day 1 was a little awkward, but by Sunday morning we were playing cards, laughing & loving it.

Probably be able to come early July because of the generosity of a cousin I can stay with, then Hubby will be able to come in August with me! Got to explore a beautiful part of this country I'd never been to before & went ton Lake Superior! Wow, so grateful!
Hope all who traveled this weekend had safe & blessed time with loved ones & those who could not travle, may peace be with you until you can visit again

Last edited by mommatrip; 05-27-2018 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: additional info
The Following User Says Thank You to mommatrip For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-09-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:54 AM

I have no idea if /when I will be able to try going again! He and I were really banking on this trip I made last weekend. its about a 7-8 hour drive but it took me longer cause I was having anxiety issues.

Last edited by LuvmyCandyCaneman; 05-29-2018 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: add length of trip
The Following User Says Thank You to LuvmyCandyCaneman For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-09-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCanfield View Post
15 hrs straight there, visit for 5 hrs day 5 hrs Sunday and then 15 hrs back Sunday after visit, twice a month. ������
Do you drive or fly?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:12 PM

I fly. 2 hours at the airport. 1.5 hour flight 45 minutes to hotel and in the am it is another 45 minutes.

I have to really save up to go see him.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

This September I will be doing 3,000 miles round trip (driving) to see him for a cumulative 17 and a half hours.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 AM

does anyone drive thru or from NC, to the federal complex in Florida? i dont drive and i have never met my boyfriend trying to make a visit next month to see him it will be my birthday and im hoping to make that gift for myself to finally meet him, willing to share the cost of the trip
Old 06-24-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToFaswife View Post
does anyone drive thru or from NC, to the federal complex in Florida? i dont drive and i have never met my boyfriend trying to make a visit next month to see him it will be my birthday and im hoping to make that gift for myself to finally meet him, willing to share the cost of the trip
We're the opposite way I'm going to NC from Florida to met my SO. Maybe you should fly and then catch the taxi to the prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmilly91 For This Useful Post:
ToFaswife (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmilly91 View Post
We're the opposite way I'm going to NC from Florida to met my SO. Maybe you should fly and then catch the taxi to the prison.
Yeah I think Iím gonna take the train to the city his prison is in and then take a cab to the prison stay in a motel for the night and take the train back in
Old 07-26-2018, 05:50 PM

I live in Texas and my son is in Arizona in prison so I have to fly to see him. Unfortunately can't see him as much as I'd like.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 PM

I live in Australia and my son is in prison in NZ. Unfortunately I cannot drive but fly so can't go often as I would like. I try to make the most of it and get a window seat so I can look out - even on the red eye flight that I usually take. I value every cloud, star etc as I am indeed thankful for what I can experience, knowing that he and others don't have that same opportunity.

Thinking about the beauty of things I see helps me not melt as much in sadness on the trip home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadia_Au For This Useful Post:
JustLilOlMe1012 (08-15-2018), mommatrip (11-30-2018), Sarianna (08-14-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:51 PM

I walk 3h30mins to the jail and then I usually take a slower walk back (4hours)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Strong Heart, Smart Mind

I Use to drive three and a half hours to the prison and back another three and a half hours so a total of 7 hours twice a month now be has been moved and is an hour I am driving two and a half hours there and back so now my round trip is two hours shorter than it was and now I just want him closer which is next to me in bed and home where he belongs ..

The most unimaginable feelings!
The most unbelievable love!
I have found within you!!!
Old 11-30-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Better Now!

For the first five years I drove 18 hours round-trip. I would only visit on long weekends as I would book a hotel and obviously stay there. He is now closer to home, so I drive two hours and 10 minutes round trip. He ended up getting a good adjustment transfer closer to home, which is great.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Missing my better half
Donation Award 

from jax to crestview its a smidge over a 4 hour drive one way. I book a hotel for the weekend, show up Friday evening and see him Saturday and sunday and then drive from the prison to home after its over sunday.

one day closer

Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Donation Award 

11 hours to drive +/- & now it's winter. He has been in northern Minnesota since April. I went 3 times this year so far. I drove 1 & flew 2. It's expensive. I have discovered places to rent thru airbnb that have kitchens & are either real homes or apartments I can rent cheaper than a hotel & I can cook good food for myself & enjoy privacy. I usually fly in on Sat early, drive an hour, visit half day Sat, all day Sun & all day Mon - then drive the hour back to the airport & take the ONLY flight home which is around 10pm. So, I get home & into my bed around midnight on a Monday. I work for myself, so days & hours are flexible for me. It's not easy, but worth it. I figure 3x a year I can manage. 4 If I am feeling needy
Old 02-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Banned

I’ve been really lucky with visiting. In the UK we tend to have lots of smaller prisons spread around, so your loved ones are never that far away. It takes me about 20 minutes to travel to see my wife and when my son was inside his juvenile prison was within walking distance.

When I myself was inside, then it took my foster parents about an hour to get to me.

I can’t imagine what it must be like for those of you who have to spend a day or more to get to your loved ones. It must be very isolating for the person who’s doing time to be so far away from their family.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 PM
far from home...

I drive 5.5 hours one way, for a total of 11 hours round trip. We are in the same state; Arizona.

I actually enjoy the drive there if I leave the day before. I love the desert. And spending time with him is amazing. It's very worth it.

However, I can only ever visit Saturday then I have to drive home immediately [I have a job six nights a week where I don't have the luxury of calling off. Ever.] The drive back is always a little sad, especially alone in the dark when all I want is more time with him.

it's not too late to turn back home,
and we were never meant to be alone.
you know we've got each other.
it's not too late for two lost souls.
we're not the only ones to lose control.
we're in this together.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW View Post
Iíve been really lucky with visiting. In the UK we tend to have lots of smaller prisons spread around, so your loved ones are never that far away. It takes me about 20 minutes to travel to see my wife and when my son was inside his juvenile prison was within walking distance.

When I myself was inside, then it took my foster parents about an hour to get to me.

I canít imagine what it must be like for those of you who have to spend a day or more to get to your loved ones. It must be very isolating for the person whoís doing time to be so far away from their family.
I used to drive for 7 hours when he was in Oregon. Now he is in Illinois.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:16 AM

6000 miles. I'm in the UK and hes in Arizona.