Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 PM
It is What it Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&W View Post
My husband just got transferred to Evans this past Monday and this is both of our first experience with prison and the whole system. I am going to visit him this Saturday and it will be the first time I have seen him in 2 months. I AM SO EXCITED! I am a little nervous about the visitation though. I am driving all the way from Columbia and I don't want anything to go wrong! I don't know what to expect at all but I know once our visits start it will have to make things easier to get through each day! Any incite will be great! THANKS!
I go to Evans too and live in Columbia. I go probably every weekend almost unless I gotta work or something I go during the A-K visits which usually have a lot of visitors during the Saturday visits. You will need to purchase a paykey. It is in the vending machine outside of the prison. The paykey is $5. Bring a $5 bill for that and you can add on to the paykey once you purchase it. You can add up to $50 on there. Make sure you put at least $15 dollars on your paykey because the food in there isn't cheap. You'll pay $3.50 for a sandwich and if both of you want to get food, drinks and snacks that will probably be your best bet. They also have games like cards, uno, dominos,sorry,trouble,chinese checkers,etc. But since this is your first time being up there you'll probably be into your man conversating and all being glad to see him.

The visits rotate each weekend. This weekend Friday A-Z 3:00-6:00pm, Saturday L-Z 8am-12pm,A-K 1:00-5:00pm. Sunday A-K 8am-12pm and L-Z 1pm-5pm. I would also advise you to get there 30 minutes before the visit time because on certain days you have a lot of people trying to be up there 30 minutes early too. I hope this helps you in a small way. Also they will ask you for the inmate's no# at the front desk. If you have kids make sure they have all the proper identification because they are real strict about that at Evans. And yes they will make you turn around no matter how far you drive if you come in there and have on more than one pair of earrings. You can wear a necklace as long as it has a cross as a pendant. Wow this is a long post. Hope you have a good visit.

Last edited by Isweoriswenot; 05-15-2008 at 08:34 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM

According to the SCDC website there is a PO Box mailing address for Evans. I mailed a letter to the PO Box today but I happened to call afterward and the lady said there was no PO Box. She said to just mail letters addressed to the Highway 9 West address. Can anyone provide me with the correct answer for Evans?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 AM
California Dreaming

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 1,474 Times in 750 Posts

I dont use a po box just the hwy 9 west and he never had a problem with it

Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Does anyone know around how long it takes to be assigned a job at Evans? My friend was recently transferred there from Kirkland and his caseworker informed him there were no jobs available at this time. From what I understand the sooner he can start working the sooner he can earn time off his sentence. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
My heart belongs to him..
Donation Award 

Jparker,

My husband has been there since Jan and he still hasn't gotten a job as they told him the same thing. It will take time off of his sentence unless he is under the truth in sentencing and 85% law. It only reduces my husband's sentence by 1 month, but hey anything is better than nothing!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the information. Do you mean that since Jan only 1 month has been taken off the sentence? I thought for good behavior 20 days were taken off for every month served? My friend is not under the 85% so I know he is eligible for parole hearing 1/4 into the sentence and that time can be earned off the max date. Seems like they need to get more jobs over at Evans.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM
My heart belongs to him..
Donation Award 

Well my husband has to serve 85% of his sentence of 5 years and no matter what he does he will have to serve that much time. Working will not get his time reduced. It only reduces it by 1 month no matter how long he works or how much. I am not sure what the percentage is, but they get so much off of their sentence for everyday they work or something like that. Maybe someone can help you with that better than me because I don't know since my husband must serve 85% of his sentence.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
California Dreaming

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 1,474 Times in 750 Posts

jobs are hard to get there. my son was transferred there back in january and still has no job. he just called this morning and said something about taking some classes for 6 weeks and then being a tutor for his job so we shall see. I didnt fully understand what he meant

Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info, not very encouraging though since more time is earned off through working. I still want to try and find out how much "good behavior" time is earned if someone is not serving under 85%. It seems like they could always come up with some more jobs around the prison. Wouldn't they want them being productive with their time instead of sitting around possibly leading to troubles?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
It is What it Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParker View Post
Wouldn't they want them being productive with their time instead of sitting around possibly leading to troubles?
To be real with you I really think they don't care. My man told me that if you have a longer sentence then they try to discourage you from opportunities on the inside like jobs and such. And they call it Department of Corrections.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM

this thread is from 2004 is their anyone with info on Evans that is up to date?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
It is What it Is

Depending on what you need info on as far as the institution it is very strict. I have a love one who is currently there and has been there for 2 years.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
~*~His Tru Love~*~

My sweetie is there...right now he is on lock up...but he rarely talks about the facility...the few things he has mentioned has been negative...I have never visited so can't say much about that either. I'm sure someone will come along with more info...wishing you the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to Malikhasmyheart For This Useful Post:
MzCPt84 (01-25-2009)
Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Evans

Yes I have my boyfriend there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison22pa View Post
Does anyone has a loved one in the Evans facility? If so please reply. I have some questions regarding the facility. Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM

I wanted to know how the visits are. How the city/town is. My boo is on locked down so they acting funny (CO 's) and he hasn't gotten mail in a few days. I go to visit him in April and just wanted a heads up on the facility. thanks!

Old 09-19-2016, 04:47 PM

I'm looking for someone to tell me how visits go there.my son was just transferred there
Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM

I'm looking for information on how visits are.my son was transferred there last week