Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Covid -19 (Corona Virus)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Covid -19 (Corona Virus) Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in Washington, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Default Restriction of movement

Hello,

I just received word that there will be no inmates allowed outaide their cells for 2 weeks at Walla Walla. Isn't this against human rights? We have taken extra measurements with distancing and masks already all year round. Surely there must be something illegal about this and what can be done?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 03:35 PM

Also is every prison staff member being tested before entering facility?? Some are not trueful about their symptons to get a pay check. This is how CV19 got in there in the 1st place.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:37 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,454 Times in 17,277 Posts

It sounds like they're trying to quarantine....as they really should be doing something different than what they've done so far. Washington State Penitentiary has 206 confirmed cases of covid as of today (See HERE). No, it isn't illegal due to the cause / reason for the 2 week cell confinement.

I can't answer your question about whether or not prison staff are / have all been tested.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 11-19-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrupz View Post
Hello,

I just received word that there will be no inmates allowed outaide their cells for 2 weeks at Walla Walla. Isn't this against human rights? We have taken extra measurements with distancing and masks already all year round. Surely there must be something illegal about this and what can be done?
I have heard so many things from my penpals in US prisons that, in my opinion, are against human rights. But as they keep on saying to me: "nobody cares about us". Well, some of us do care, the people on this forum, but unfortunately we don't have power to do anything about it.
One thing that never fails to shock me is the long-distance transfers and how they are shackled and chained up for so many hours. If animals were treated like that, there would be a public outcry all over the media.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,806 Posts

It may be against human rights at a global level, but so is solitary confinement (aka "the hole"). Prisons have the ultimate authority to do whatever they want if they believe it's for the safety of their inmates.

Some Oregon prisons have been on lockdown since May. Or parts of them have been.

I think you've hit the nail on the head: if the staff is wandering around outside, no masks, no care in the world, and then coming inside, there is going to be issues.

Oregon not only locked down, but several prisons have gone to shipping any inmate who tests positive to the women's prison for quarantine. The quarantine is supposed to be 12 days then they go "home", but DOC can't get organized, so some guys are spending over a month "in quarantine", locked down, no personal possessions, until transportation can be arranged.

It's difficult for us on the outside to watch this level of incompetence or disregard for our loved one's lives. Some Oregon inmates started a lawsuit to try to get the staff to be forced to wear masks. Some staff responded by intentionally 'fake coughing' on the inmates who are involved in the lawsuit.

It's insanity.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:23 AM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Hello,

As long as basic needs are being met like food, water, heat, clothes, linen exchange, partial commissary for personal hygiene, interaction with medical staff etc are being done then there is nothing illegal about doing a full lockdown.

If other measures have been done and there are still breakouts then this is another step in the hopes of curbing the spread. We talk about mask wearing, but in the prison I work in Staff are required to wear masks. Does everyone do it. I am not going to lie to you and say all staff wear it all the time. But I will also mention that we see far more inmates NOT wearing their own masks. Fully 80% or more of inmates while in their units and outside their cells do not wear their masks. We can ask and tell and reinforce and even order them to wear their masks, but what am I to do? Write up 80% of my unit for not wearing masks?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-19-2020), GingerM (11-20-2020), TheWrightOne (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Also is every prison staff member being tested before entering facility?? Some are not trueful about their symptons to get a pay check. This is how CV19 got in there in the 1st place.
As to your question about testing all staff before entering. Doing a full test everyday is just not possible. But we do screen everyone with a temperature check. We also ask the hard questions of "Do you feel any of these symptoms?"

If staff are sent home we do get paid admin days pending a test and if positive we do get 14 days at home, paid. We are all human and I am not saying Staff won't come in if they have some mild symptoms and try to "tough it out because it is only a cold" some will do that, in any organization.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
GingerM (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Quote:
We are all human and I am not saying Staff won't come in if they have some mild symptoms and try to "tough it out because it is only a cold" some will do that, in any organization.
I think the reality is that prisons are set up to hold as many inmates as possible inside the walls. Which means prisons are not set up for a global pandemic of a new, never-before-seen virus. It's not really possible to keep inmates safe from the virus without requiring the staff to live inside the fence too, and that is not going to work out well for anyone.

My mom has Alzheimers and lives at an assisted living facility. She's been on lockdown since March also. For a month, she wasn't allowed to leave her room. (...and with the uptick in cases, she's not allowed to leave her room now either) About the only difference is that I'm allowed to stand outside her window and call her on the phone. Otherwise, the assisted living place and the prisons are pretty much using the same playbook for trying to keep these populations as safe as possible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
carm2405 (11-20-2020), fbopnomore (11-20-2020), LifeTraveler (11-20-2020), Ms Sunny (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I think the reality is that prisons are set up to hold as many inmates as possible inside the walls. Which means prisons are not set up for a global pandemic of a new, never-before-seen virus. It's not really possible to keep inmates safe from the virus without requiring the staff to live inside the fence too, and that is not going to work out well for anyone.

My mom has Alzheimers and lives at an assisted living facility. She's been on lockdown since March also. For a month, she wasn't allowed to leave her room. (...and with the uptick in cases, she's not allowed to leave her room now either) About the only difference is that I'm allowed to stand outside her window and call her on the phone. Otherwise, the assisted living place and the prisons are pretty much using the same playbook for trying to keep these populations as safe as possible.
Honestly no one was prepared for this global pandemic. Unless you talk about those crazy 'preppers" who dedicated their lives to canning food and stockpiling ammo and guns.

There is only so much a prison can do to try and keep the inmates in their charge as safe as possible. If that means a full lockdown. Then I guess that means a 14 day lockdown in the hopes of forcing it out. It also means sending staff home who might be sick.

My prison was lucky. We had a few dozen cases when this started. Then we went a long spell with no cases and now its picked back up again.

Lucky for everyone involved we have zero hospital stays, zero people went on ventilator and everyone made it through so far.

Sorry to hear about your mom. We can't forget about our elderly. Most of us can make it through power through our daily lives with a mask. But the elderly need to stay shut in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
carm2405 (11-22-2020), fbopnomore (11-21-2020), GingerM (11-22-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 08:55 PM

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate your feedback very much. I'm just stoked because their lockdown will prolong so long as each individual start testin positive each day. I don't think that is fair on everybody who has not tested positively but will probably not be safe to roam either double edge sword.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Syrupz For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2020), GingerM (11-24-2020), patchouli (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:21 PM

false imprisonment
Old 11-24-2020, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Like you, Syrupz, I feel badly for the guys who have been on lockdown for what seems like an eternity. Oregon hasn't opened up visitation in any manner. I miss visiting my 'guys'. They miss being visited. Two of my guys were sent to the women's prison in Oregon for quarantine after they tested positive. The other one got Covid before there was any testing and before it was being taken seriously by The Powers That Be.

Until we have a vaccine or a viable "at home" treatment (i.e. pills or inhalers or something other than ICU beds), this is the best we can do. Two of my guys were very ill, the third tested positive but only had mild cold/flu symptoms. Since there are reports of people becoming symptomatic a second or third time, each time progressively worse, I really hope DOC continues its efforts at preventing the spread.

Right now, prisons are in the top 5 "super-spreader" areas. I feel for you, I feel for our loved ones, I feel for the staff. 2020 and Covid can kiss my behind. This has been a horrible year for everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2020), Ms Sunny (11-24-2020)