Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:28 PM

Default Looking for info on Lyncher State jail - Anyone have a LO there?

My loved one is currently in lyncher state jail in humble texas and was jus wondering if anyone on here has a loved one there as well? I dont know how lyncher state jail works so I dont really know what to expect or what to prepare for.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,120 Times in 13,831 Posts

There is much information about the Pam Lyncher jail found from a google search for "lyncher state jail prison talk", including You Tube videos.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:48 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,652 Times in 1,823 Posts

I was there for most of 2017 and during Hurricane Harvey. I don't know if you're familiar with the term transfer facility, but that's the way Lychner is built.
He's staying in a 60 man dormitory with bunk beds. There's 4 dorms in a building and there's about 7 buildings. The unit roughly holds about 2000 men. Half of inmates are doing state jail time and the other half TDCJ time.
He probably doesn't like the place. The food is bad and there's lots of drama. Lot of K-2 being smoked and while the gangs are a problem, for the most part it's a rambunctious bunch of kids type atmosphere that are for the C.O.s to control. A lot of fighting goes on. He can make commissary, but that within itself is frustrating and unpredictable.
Because of the close quarters and the fact that there's absolutely no privacy, it causes a lot of tension and confrontation. Some of the stuff that men butt heads over is nonsense. Overall, it's a hard place to do time. Its not a real dangerous unit, but it's got youngster type atmosphere to it that on many days reminds of being in a place that's a cross between a day care center and a circus.
Give him a few days to get settled and you'll hear from him. The first 3-4 days will be hard on him because every time he turns around he'll have to go here and do this and then go somewhere else and do that.
I was glad when I left there. One of the fastest ways to get shipped is to sign up for college or vocational course that are offered at other prisons.
Hope this helps. Let me know any questions you have.
fbopnomore (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
I was there for most of 2017 and during Hurricane Harvey. I don't know if you're familiar with the term transfer facility, but that's the way Lychner is built.
He's staying in a 60 man dormitory with bunk beds. There's 4 dorms in a building and there's about 7 buildings. The unit roughly holds about 2000 men. Half of inmates are doing state jail time and the other half TDCJ time.
He probably doesn't like the place. The food is bad and there's lots of drama. Lot of K-2 being smoked and while the gangs are a problem, for the most part it's a rambunctious bunch of kids type atmosphere that are for the C.O.s to control. A lot of fighting goes on. He can make commissary, but that within itself is frustrating and unpredictable.
Because of the close quarters and the fact that there's absolutely no privacy, it causes a lot of tension and confrontation. Some of the stuff that men butt heads over is nonsense. Overall, it's a hard place to do time. Its not a real dangerous unit, but it's got youngster type atmosphere to it that on many days reminds of being in a place that's a cross between a day care center and a circus.
Give him a few days to get settled and you'll hear from him. The first 3-4 days will be hard on him because every time he turns around he'll have to go here and do this and then go somewhere else and do that.
I was glad when I left there. One of the fastest ways to get shipped is to sign up for college or vocational course that are offered at other prisons.
Hope this helps. Let me know any questions you have.
Oh my gosh,it sounds terrible. There's really drugs going around ? And the CO dont care at all?? And why is commissary unpredictable?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Drugs are somewhat common place in all prisons and its been that way for a while. Lychner seems to be a little more intense than that, though.
The C.O.s......any place where there's state jail prisoners there is drama. It just goes with the territory. They have it too easy and because of that its harder on those who are doing TDCJ time. Its always been like that too.
Commissary.....I don't know.....maybe its changed for the better since I was there.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Drugs are somewhat common place in all prisons and its been that way for a while. Lychner seems to be a little more intense than that, though.
The C.O.s......any place where there's state jail prisoners there is drama. It just goes with the territory. They have it too easy and because of that its harder on those who are doing TDCJ time. Its always been like that too.
Commissary.....I don't know.....maybe its changed for the better since I was there.
Do you know how emessages jpay works there and visitation?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:39 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Under normal circumstances visitation is from 8am to 5PM Saturday and Sunday. With COVID I don't know, you'd to call the unit. Along with that your loves one needs to put you on his visitation list first.
Jpay is easy enough to set up on line. You shouldn't have any problems with that. You probably need to wait until he is issued a TDCJ # first.
dtmom2013 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarza.15 View Post
Do you know how emessages jpay works there and visitation?
There is no visitation due to COVID. Hasn't been since March. You can not send any type of greeting cards. Everything has to be on plain white paper. 10 pics per envelope.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtmom2013 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmom2013 View Post
There is no visitation due to COVID. Hasn't been since March. You can not send any type of greeting cards. Everything has to be on plain white paper. 10 pics per envelope.
So jpay emailing is pointless ?
Old 11-23-2020, 07:54 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

If you send him a Jpay email he should get it in a couple of days. Its faster on average than regular mail
Old 11-24-2020, 03:41 AM

How can he respond back ? Does it jus depend on lyncher or do I have to add my email to the jpay?
Old 11-24-2020, 03:10 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

He will write you through the regular mail. When you send a Jpay correspondence its printed out on a piece of paper that he will receive. Yes I think you set up the Jpay account with an email address.
Agarza.15 (Yesterday)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:58 PM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,409 Times in 771 Posts

If you send the jpay before 10am there's a 75+% chance they'll get it that evening. If not then it'll be the next day
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDCJ hand For This Useful Post:
Agarza.15 (Yesterday), fbopnomore (11-24-2020)