Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:52 PM

Unhappy Alderson (FPC) Federal Prison Camp - West Virginia

Could anyone give me any information about Alderson fpc? Such as : how many can visit at one time? how long can you visit at one time? Please if anyone can answer these questions or can give me any other type of info that we need to know about the place please, please contact me asap. we have not had our first visit but have millions of questions and thoughts. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2003, 01:34 AM
Donation Award 

Miss Upset,

I was at Alderson for 16 months and came home this past February. I think I can answer your questions for you. Before you can visit, all visitors have to be approved and placed on the inmate's visitation list. You are automatically on the list if you (or any other adult visitors) are listed in the inmate's PSI. If you are not in the PSI, you have to complete an application form, and they will do a background check and notify the inmate if you are approved. This can take several weeks depending on the counselor.

Each inmate can have 3 adults and an unlimited number of children under 16 visit at one time. The regular visitation hours are from 8a - 8p Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and from 8a - 3p on Mondays. Visits are rarely terminated early because of overcrowding at Alderson. They have a very nice visitation center with a special room for kids filled with toys and activities. If the weather is nice you can go outside and sit on the covered patio or tables and swings. They have vending machines and a good assortment of soda, sandwiches, pizza, chips, candy and other snacks. If you can bring rolls of quarters with you because sometimes the change machines are out. During the holdiays (Christmas to New Year's) the visitation hours are extended. Weekdays are from 8a-3p everyday, and regular visitation hours Friday-Sunday. If you plan to visit on Christmas Day, you are able to attend church services with your loved one, but you have to be there before 12 noon and inform the officers on duty that you will be attending church.

If you have an other questions or need more information, please send me a private message and I will be glad to help you. Oh, and by the way, there is also a Hospitality House near the camp where you can stay for free or for a small donation.

Vicki

Last edited by guysgal; 12-06-2003 at 01:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to justvicki For This Useful Post:
kittywill (10-01-2012)
Old 04-24-2004, 02:30 AM

Hi I am new here and my mother is being sent to Alderson. Please tell me all you can as far as the treatment and the work they make u do. Shes a very unhealthy person.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Donation Award 

Let's see if I can give you some general information.

Alderson is not a bad place to be if you have to do time. The compound looks exactly like a college campus. In fact, when it opened in 1927, it was modeled after one in Maryland. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see the surroundings. There are no fences, no barbed wire, and no locked doors.

You are not allowed to bring anything with you as far as clothing is concerned. You will be dressed out when you get to receiving and discharge (R&D) and then sent to laundry for the rest of your clothing, shoes and linen. The women in R&D aren't usually difficult, and usually the process goes smoothly. They will do a visual search, and you will have to squat and cough; try to prepare yourself for that if you have never experienced it before.

You can have your wedding ring, a religious necklace, and I think a pair of small hoop earrings. That's it as far as jewlery is concerned. Nothing except pictures (no Polaroids) can be sent to you by your loved ones. They used to allow your friends and family to send you magazine, and paperback books, but they were in the process of changing that policy when I left, so I am not sure where that stands.

All new commits are housed in Building A on the upper compound. It is commonly referred to as the "Range". It is a two story brick building that is less than 5 years old, and is divided into four sections; Range 1, Range 2, Range 3, and Range 4. There are 124 women in each range, and all new commits start off in Range 1. You will be placed in a "cube" where there is a bunk bed, two lockers, two under the bed lockers and a roommate. Each range has three TV rooms. microwaves, vending machines (snacks and pop), washers and dryers (if you don't want the laundry to do your clothes) and two large shower rooms. They even have a hair room where you can use blow dryers, curling irons and hair dryers. Range 1 and 2 are downstairs and Range 3 and 4 are upstairs.

Bring money with you, either cash or a money order. Are you a self surrender or are you going thru Oklahoma? Your funds will be placed on an account for you and you will be issued a Debitek card. After that all your money has to be sent to a lock box in Marietta, Ga and they will be electronically transferred to your account. You will use this card in the vending machines, the washers and dryers and for commissary.

Let's talk a little bit about the phones. You are allowed 300 minutes a month for telephone calls. Last year they increased those minutes to 400 for the months of November and December. You can either prepay your telephone calls, and they will cost about $2.50 for a 15 minute call anywhere in the United States or call collect and it will cost $8.00 to $10.00 per 15 minute call. You are able to transfer funds from your commissary account to your telephone account for prepaid calls.

You will spend two weeks in A & O (Admission and Orientation) learning the ins and outs of Alderson. The staff member who conducts these sessions is Darlene Johnson. She is a very nice person, but she is straight up, so don't be late for A & O. She will telll you about it in a heat beat and she will give you extra duty. So be early for A & O. It normally does not last all day, and you will have some free time during the day. After you complete A & O and are medically cleared, you will be placed in a job. Everyone works at Alderson. Usually everyone starts out in CDR (Central Dining Room). It's hard work and normally you can transfer to another position after 90 days. The food was very good when I was there. I do know there has been a change in CDR supervisors, so I'm not sure what you will find. We had a beverage bar, soup bar, salad bar, and hot bar in addition to the main line.

The personnel in Health Services has changed since I left, but you must be medically cleared to remain at Alderson as it is a work camp and everyone
has to work. Not all jobs are strenuous, and for the most part you are placed in a position with your physical limitiations in mind.

For the most part the staff and officers are pretty cool. Just do not try to put anything over on them; be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be, doing what you are supposed to be doing. NEVER make one of them look for you, and you will be fine, and NEVER screw up count.

There are anywhere from 900-1100 women at Alderson, but the compound is large and all of them are never in one place at one time, so it's not so noticeable. Once you complete A & O, and are working you will be moved out of Range 1 into one of the other ranges because you are no longer a new commit. When I was there you were eligible to move to a cottage after three months of clear conduct (it used to be a six months and a year). Cottages house 60 - 80 women and are much less noisey and chaotic. They are older buildings, mostly on the lower compound, and are exactly like college dorm buildings. There is a new warden there, she is a female and from NC, but she arrived after I left and I do not know much about her.

There is a lot to do to stay busy there in addition to your job. If you do not have your GED you will have to go to class. That's mandatory. I was a teacher's aide when I was at Alderson. There are also business classes and some college classes available. They also have a cosmetolgy class that takes 18 months to complete, and the inmates are able to have their hair cut, permed, and dyed. They even offer facials, manicures, and pedicures. There is no cost to the inmates; you just have to purchase your perms and dyes from commissary. There is a rec center, law and reading library, volleyball team, softball team, tennis court, craft classes, and you are allowed to be on the compound from 6 am - 10 pm except during count. The chaplain there is an incredible woman by the name of Rev. Elizabeth Walker, and there are many, many types of all denominational services offered. Some of the choirs will blow you away! So much talent.

I hope I am not overwhelming you with all of this information. If West Virginia is a long way from home for you, but if your family is able to visit there is a hospitality house where they are able to stay free of charge, and visiting is great at Alderson. It's all contact, they have a children's center, you are able to eat from the vending machines, walk outside and sit at picnic tables.

If you have any other questions, or need anything, please feel free to PM me.
beckers (03-25-2015), paradise_angel (04-13-2008)
Old 04-24-2004, 04:38 PM

Thanks, guysgal, that was incredibly informative! and right on with my sister's experiences so far.

I have a few updates to guysgal's post that I can share since my sister is there right now (She surrendered in early April so I know some details but learning the rest as time goes on.)
Magazines and paperback books can still be sent by family and friends - that hasn't been changed yet. Money is now being sent to a lockbox in Des Moines, Iowa (not Marietta, GA). Phone calls are 3.00 per fifteen minutes.

My sister's job was cleaning until she got re-assigned. My sister says she's really busy - she's working and taking all kinds of classes, parenting, crafts, walking. She does a LOT of walking, I don't know if that's by choice or if it's because the facility is sprawled out (probably some of both.) She repeatedly tells me it's not too bad and that I should stop worrying so much about her.

Stillmommysgirl - It seems I might be a few steps ahead of you in this process so if there is ever anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. If I know anything that can help you I will gladly share.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:30 PM

Thank you very much. You both have helped me so much. I guess the only thing I worry about is her health and the "working" part. She has so many asthma attacks it scares me. What will they do with her if she cannot perform the job she is assigned?? Again thank you both for helping me through this.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:38 PM

One more question. She is on medicine for her health. Will they give her medicines like she is supposed to have them?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:15 PM

It was my understanding that Alderson is now accepting money in Marrietta now instead of Des Moines. I believe this changed recently. I made a phone call a few weeks ago to Alderson for someone about sending money and they told me the address was in Marietta.
Also, I believe you can have up to 5 adult visitors. I will check and verify this.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Donation Award 

stillmommysgirl,

Your mom should bring a list of her medications with her. When she is booked at R&D (Receiving and Discharge) she will either see someone from Health Services there, or be sent to Health Services before she goes to her housing unit. When I was at Alderson, inmates were allowed to keep all non-narcotic medications with them, including inhalers. Injections of any kind, pain medication, allergy meds, any kind of sedative had to be dispensed at Health Services by medical staff.

Again, Alderson is a work camp. All inmates are assigned a job once they have been medically cleared. Jobs are supposed to assigned according to an inmate's physical limitations. It was my experience while I was there, if an inmate cannot be medically cleared ,to do even the most menial task, they were transferred to a medical facility. You might want to double check this with PTO members cjjack, grayghost, or jackdaniels.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:49 PM

OK That makes me feel much better. She has to turn herself in on May 10th. I will be driving her there. its going to be rough leaving her because I have always taken care ofr you. Im gonna miss her greatly. But shes only doing 4 months so maybe time will go by fast. I told her what you all have said about the prison camp and she wanted me to thank you for making her more at ease before she goes.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:05 PM

Default hi

Hi do you know of anyone that is at Alderson riht now that might would be a good friend to my mother. Shes a loving christian lady who lvoes her family. She is scared to death of going. Shes 53 . If you know of anyone that would be her friend please let me know. Its almost time for her to leave and its getting harder and harder to comprehand shes really leaving. She will only be gone 4 months so hopefully it will go fast. She self surrenders on May 10th (some mothers day
Old 05-06-2004, 05:13 PM

My sister is there now. I'll PM you with more info.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:31 PM

Default a few more details...

Here's a list of items my sister was told was allowed in during self surrender.
cash/ money order
a religious medal or cross and chain (valued at no more than $100)
a pair of earrings (valued at no more than $100)
wedding band
eyeglasses
legal documents (not all legal documents, though, not sure which ones are allowed, it's probably best to ask)
medications (again, not all will necessarily go in with you)
picture ID (to be kept on file during stay)

Photos, books (including bible) can/should be sent via mail - not taken in at self surrender.

The mailing address is
Name
Reg #
Federal Prison Camp
Box A, Range 1
Alderson, WV 24910

I guess all new commits start in Range 1, when they move you will need to change the address accordingly.

Be sure all mail has recipients name, number and a return address on it.
Photos can be sent, no Polaroids.
Soft cover books and magazines can be sent. I was told they need to be wrapped in brown paper or envelope (no boxes!) and should be labeled on the package as "Reading Material" or "Books/Magazines Enclosed".
Hard back books must be sent directly from the distributor/publisher. ( I haven't done this yet, so I don't know all the rules)
A calendar can be sent, wrapped in brown paper or envelope and labeled "Institution Approved".
There is a maximum number of items a person can receive in one day or have in their possession (5 books, 2 magazines, etc). I'm not sure if this varies.

You can't mail stamps or stamped envelopes. For you creative types or those with kids/grandkids, incoming mail can't have stickers, glue, glitter, or tape. Keep it to paper and writing instruments (cut-outs, crayons, markers, pens are ok, not sure about paint).

I hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:18 AM

Default Mom is at Alderson now :(

The day finally came when I had to drive my own mother to the gates of Alderson. It was a 4 and 1/2 hour drive for us and she cried the whole way. I feel so bad. I cant even imagine what shes feeling right now. I just miss her so much and cant wait til the day shes free again. Even though this was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, thanks alot to those that made it a bit easier for us both.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Mom

Today is the 4th day mom has been at Alderson. She told me that they only gave her half of her meds. Even though I gave them the DR's prescription for her. I called them and they said that the medical staff would see shes taken care of, then I told them that they havent gave her meds that she needs. The guy just got smart with me and said "THERE EVALUATING HER! IF THEY THINK SHE DONT NEED IT SHE WONT GET IT" . Why are they like that. She said everyone was good to her and she has a friend but I cant help worry about her. She said she has to walk a long way to even call me. She couldnt even walk at home because she has astma really bad. She will have to take a couple steps then stop. Thank God for her friend because she says she holds right on to her when shes walking. She called me the day after she was in and told us she was fine and not to worry, so I felt sooooo much better. Then yesterday when she called she was crying saying she just wants to come home. She ripped my heart out. I sent her 150.00 This is only day 4 and shes only got 40 bucks left. How expensive are the things in there? ! wow! And all she bought was her necessities and phone time. Anyway Im just worried so bad. I cant seem to take care of things here at home for worrying so much. I am very depressed. Anyone got advise?
Old 05-15-2004, 11:03 PM

Stillmommysgirl,

I sat here and red all the posts from day one, and I hurt so bad inside for you. I can't even begin to imagine the pain you feel inside for your mom. It has to be so hard for her, but you have to give her the strength from inside YOU to make it the four months. She has to see YOUR strength and draw from that! She is very fragile now, so all the letters you can send her, and thinking of you cards, and miss you cards will make the biggest impact on her, and let her know she is NOT forgotten and you are thinking of her every minute of the day.

She should have more money than that, but phone calls do get expensive, and everything she can do without she needs to. I don't know how different fed prisons are from state prisons but the things my husband buys at Huttonsville aren't that expensive, so I don't know where on earth 110 dollars would go.

I will keep you guys in my prayers. My heart is really hurting for her. And for you.
If you ever need me, I am just a PM away. Use it anytime you want. I have broad shoulders and two good ears, and AM here for you any time!

God Bless!!!
Bonnie

Galatians 2:20
Old 05-17-2004, 03:36 AM

Default Mom

Thanks so much for all of you that are helping me get through this. Mom actually looked good. It tore my heart into when I left and she was crying and begging me to stay though. I stayed til visiting hours were over Sat and Sunday. I plan on going back next weekend. Its hard on my pocketbook though. Its 4 hours from here to there. Shes worth it though. Its sad to see some of the ladies in there serving 10 or 20 years. I feel so bad for them. Moms release date is August 28th. So shes not in for long its just so unreal her even being there. Shes a good church lady. Never has a harmful word to say about anyone. She loves alot of her new friends there and they help her alot walking up and down the hill. She got a van pass to ride the bus to lunch. She just dont eat their food that much. We sent her more money. She has bought a t-shirt, different foods, stamps and envelopes. Shes also done laundry with her money. Thank God she doesnt smoke or we wouldnt be able to keep her up in money. They dont have air in there building that shes in and someone with asthma that can be deadly. She is going to buy a fan and see if that helps her some. She said sometimes she wakes up where its so hot haveing a hard time breathing. I mean I know this isnt the Holiday Inn or anything but you would think that they would at least have air for these ladies, not only my mother. This place is just a place to bring money in. They have to pay to breath there. Where does the federal taxes go? They make a killing from these ladies!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:23 PM

I will be here to help you as much as you need. I am the WV State Coordinator for the Jeff Dicks Medical Coalition, so if your mom has trouble getting medical treatment or something she really needs for her asthma, or whatever, just contact me, and I will do everything in my power to see she gets the attention she deserves and needs. I am here too if you need me. You take care, and God's speed in bringing her home again.

You're in my prayers!

God Bless!!!
Bonnie

Galatians 2:20
Old 05-18-2004, 01:50 PM

Thank you. She said they are evaluationg her. I just dont see how a doctor that has taken care of someone for eyars and years and knows of her chronic lung desease can be wrong. They still havent given her breathing pills but they did however give her inhaler. It helps her alot though. MAybe they know what there doing. I called them the other day and asked them why mom didnt have all her meds, which I think I put that in another post but anyway they went to mom and asked her why I was told she didnt have her meds. Mom begged me not to say anything else. She is afraid they will do or say something to her. She said shes gonna try to tough it out. God I cant wait til 4 months is up and she get s to come home. I worry so much about her. My heart tears into everytime I think of her. Thank God shes got some people there that do care for her though.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:08 PM

Stillmommysgirl....I may be late, but welcome to the WV forum...I'm Denise and my Sweetie is in FCI Beckley...we both live here in WV...My heart goes out to you and your family...you came to the right place for support and friendship...

Hugs,
Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 PM

Thank you very much. I agree this place has been wonderful as far as support goes. I had some to help me accept the fact shes going to go to prison. Then I had some to tell me what to expect as I take her for her surrender. Now I have onlgoing support from online friends thats helping me make it through her 4 months at Alderson. Mom is actually doing better then I had expected her to do. I still worry about her and cry alot. At least I know shes got friends there thats helping her so her health wont get any worse. Im praying she stays strong until August 28. Her release date was Sept 9th but they said something about her getting 10 % taken away (yesssssss) so now she gets out August 28th. Thank God! And thanks to everyone that is helping me get through this. Its only been 2 weeks and I got a ways to go yet but I feel a little better knowing shes coping.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:16 AM
Donation Award 

"A late"

Welcome to PTO!

You are in very capable hands here with guysgal!

You also might want to check out the Federal Prison Forum on PTO. You can find it at the following link!
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186
Old 05-24-2004, 08:03 PM

Default first visit

I had my first visit with my sister, YAY! It was so great to see her. And I feel comfortable taking her kids to see her - we're going back in a month. It's too far to drive to go back any sooner.

Stillmommysgirl - thanks so much for sharing your visiting experiences with me. It really helped to know what to expect. I hope each day keeps getting better for you and your family.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:18 AM

Default visit

Triplel,
I hope you had a wonderful visit. The hardest part is leaving. I actually think at one time this past weekend you was sitting behind me and my mom. We were in the lobby where you check in at. There were some people setting behind us and if it was you, you introduced yourfamily to someone. I heard someone say "this is my sister (her name)" then not long after that you all walked outside. I was gonna say something but I was afraid it wasnt you. I didnt even get a good look at what they looked like becuase I was back to back with you , if in fact it was you. I regret not asking now but Im sure we will meet up again. I been going every week but not this weekend because the traffic is going to be too bad. But im going back the week after. Hope to see ya there.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Donation Award 

Here is a link that will lead to more threads here on PTO that mention "Alderson"

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sea...earchid=721199

Last edited by kintml2u; 10-22-2004 at 12:59 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kintml2u For This Useful Post:
Morrison8210 (11-08-2011)