Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 AM

Cool Im facing prison time and scared to death

Hello
I have taken a plea for charges against me and go for sentencing in January. I have never beem in trouble before and have a few questions. First, i would more than likely go to a camp and wamt to know if i went to Alderson what is it like the first day? Also, my husband will be in another federal camp will we be able to communicate and if so how? Also, does anyone have any advice as to how to relax? Im making myself sick over this amd have developed health issues due to the stress and anxiety i am under. Amy advice and help would be very much appreciated. Lastly, i have very bad sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap. Will they allow me to have it? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2015, 12:43 AM

I wish I had advice, but there are a couple of people here that can tell you more than myself. I just wanted to wish you luck and send hugs your way!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,974 Times in 11,672 Posts

Minimum security camps are the least "prison like" conditions in the bop, so it won't be nearly as bad as you fear.

CPAP machines are provided by the medical staff, but be sure to take documentation from your outside doctor (RX Medications too) to show them. One copy for your initial medical review, another copy for the prison doctor later. Deal with your stress and anxiety with your real doctor too.

You will be seen by a medical triage person as soon as you arrive. They will provide you with temporary prescriptions, both equipment and RX meds, until you are called out to see the prison doctor. If something is missing, sign up for sick call until you resolve the problem.

To correspond with your husband will require approvals from both wardens, but that should happen.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:42 AM

Smile

Take a deep breath -- in 5 counts and out 5 counts. You're normal. You will survive this.
Take medical documentation of everything and mail yourself a second copy on the way in. Mail yourself an extra copy of your address book, with pictures by all the entries scanned in on the pages if you can. Include birthdates, phone numbers, and email addresses, as well as mailing addresses. Scan in pictures that make you happy -- houses, places you love, your favorite nature pictures, Disney characters, whatever floats your boat. Include favorite sayings, inspiring writings, etc. Mail this to yourself on the way in.
Make sure you have all your passwords, account numbers, etc., too. Also contact information for your members of Congress, House and Senate Judiciary committees, and Regional and Federal offices at the BOP and Dept. of Justice, particularly the medical ones and top administrators.
People at Alderson had CPAPs when I was there.
Make sure your doctor has checked to see that all the meds you take are on the federal formulary. If not, transition to ones that are BEFORE you report to Alderson. You do not want to do the cold turkey switchover they will do to you there. Seizures because of that were a daily occurrence in the newbies unit. Make sure that's not you.
Arrange for friends to agree to be the scribe for you and your husband until you get prison to prison mail and e-mail privileges set up. It is not permitted to send a letter to someone who will then take it out of its envelope and remail it to you. You can get around that by having your friend rewrite the letters as if they're telling you what your spouse has written, changing the voice from first person to third person. Set up a chain of such friends so that, if they cut off one, it goes to the next one, and so forth. I never had to go to the next person in the chain but knowing they were there just in case gave me real peace of mind. It's time consuming for your scribe, so if the people in your scribe chain are friends, they can also share the workload.
If you're hets, the process will be a lot shorter and easier than ours, as we were the first civilly married gay couple who were approved to write each other and, although the guy who did the process after I was approved on my end was great and did it in about 5 minutes after the approval went through, on my wife's end, they were fighting it -- Texas bigotry -- and it went all the way to Attorney General Holder's office, where they told the Texas bigots to get it done. The Carswell counterpart of the Alderson guy, who has since been fired for incompetence, took forever. My wife managed to jimmy the system to let her get mailing labels printed but it took months extra to get the email turned on. The guy at Alderson has since retired and I don't have a clue who's doing it now except that it's likely to be whoever's also in charge of commissary. The interim person was less than easy to work with but I don't know if they were approved as the permanent replacement or not.
More anti-anxiety stuff: Ask yourself if it's happening right that minute or if you're future thinking about stuff you can't control. Probably it's the latter. Get back in the present. If you have to, walk through your senses one at a time, noticing first five things per sense, then four, then three, then two, then one -- chances are, by the time you get to one, you'll be solidly back in the present, which is where you'll want to stay as much as possible.
You will meet some jerks but chances are that you will meet some of the most amazing women you'll ever meet in your life.
And it's beautiful there.
Many of the guards suck but there are some okay ones, too. They are never your friends -- ever. The system will not permit it. You'll enjoy observing the Peyton Place they create for themselves -- really -- there's so much relationship swapping among them you'll have a hard time keeping up.
The library is horrible but the chapel library is quite good -- the chaplain really tries to keep up with modern publications for a wide variety of religions. It's a good time to learn about religions other than yours, too. Nothing is closed, so you can go to everything from Catholic or Episcopal mass (the chaplain delivers a good sermon) to Native American sweat lodges and Wiccan rituals and everything in between. It can be eye-opening and fascinating.
You'll want to get an MP3-player that also plays TV channels. That, sneakers, some greys, basic hygiene supplies, Reebok sandals that double as shower shoes and outdoor sandals are all must buy early items. Be aware if you have a restitution requirement -- that will limit you to about $100 per month averaged over six months. If friends send in books or magazines or subscriptions from outside, they do not count toward that.
That's enough for now.
Breathe. Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttsey1030 View Post
Hello
I have taken a plea for charges against me and go for sentencing in January. I have never beem in trouble before and have a few questions. First, i would more than likely go to a camp and wamt to know if i went to Alderson what is it like the first day? Also, my husband will be in another federal camp will we be able to communicate and if so how? Also, does anyone have any advice as to how to relax? Im making myself sick over this amd have developed health issues due to the stress and anxiety i am under. Amy advice and help would be very much appreciated. Lastly, i have very bad sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap. Will they allow me to have it? Thanks in advance!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarlaRStevens For This Useful Post:
GulagFighter (07-18-2016), maytayah (01-23-2016), Nicoletta26 (06-17-2016)