Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:51 PM

Smile Holidays- do inmates at Alderson prison get anything special at Christmas?

Hello, I have a 22 year old niece at Alderson Camp and she serving a 24 mth. I worry about her daily. She is the strongest young lady I ever seen. I wanted to know what do they give them during Christmas and could I do something for her on the outside for her to cheer her up during Christmas?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2015, 11:47 PM

Default Christmas at Alderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by colors69 View Post
Hello, I have a 22 year old niece at Alderson Camp and she serving a 24 mth. I worry about her daily. She is the strongest young lady I ever seen. I wanted to know what do they give them during Christmas and could I do something for her on the outside for her to cheer her up during Christmas?
My daughter was at Alderson for Christmas 2 years. They decorate there. I sent her cards that she could hang up in her cube. In fact I had 50 friends send her cards. She was fully decorated. I also sent her some books and a planner that was very pretty. I ORDERED THOSE FROM AMAZON. I went to see her and we would laugh about having dinner from the vending machines. She has been out for 2 years and we have talked about getting a vending machine to have Christmas Eve dinner out of. LOL They will have caroling The church services are good. There will be a special dinner for Christmas. I hope all this helps you. Oh, I also sent a magazine subscription as well and put extra money on her commissary account so she could buy more music for her mp3 player.
Make sure cards do not have glitter on them. That is a regulation.

Last edited by matrock130; 12-07-2015 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2015, 11:54 PM

Default I was there last year at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by colors69 View Post
They do give them a good meal at Christmas time. Church is a good thing if she like that sort of thing. The best thing that you can do is make sure that she has a little money in her account so she can go to commissary to buy her self something. Also send her a card and a magazine or 2 or some books to let her know that your thinking about her. It's really not so bad there, it is what you make it. Hopefully she takes some of the classes that they offer and make this time about bettering herself.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:19 AM

There's a big treat offered several times -- eggnog. It's great not only to drink but to cook with. If they get a pear, she can poach it in sugar syrup with some orange zest then float it on some eggnog, which is a fine substitute for creme Anglaise. If they're still selling powdered egg whites, she can make a whisk out of notebook wire with some tape wrapped around one end of the loops for a handle and whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, folding in some sugar, then form them into the shape of half eggs on a dish and float them in eggnog, then microwave the meringues until they're warmed through. It's a prison version of the classic French dessert, oeufs a a niege.
They also sell really great large chocolate bars at that time of year. Tell her to get hold of some chocolate cake, put it in her mug about 2/3rds full, pour eggnog in it until it's soaked through and a tiny bit over the top of the cake. Take a banana, half it and cut a half in quarters lengthwise, stuffing them into the cake like they were four columns near the sides of the mug, then put a couple of the large pieces of chocolate in the center. Make sure the bananas and chocolate are fully covered by the cake and eggnog. Microwave on baked potato setting. Don't let it burn. The cake will souffle, coming up the sides of the cup and mound over the top of it. Take it out of the oven, poke a hole in it, and pour in more eggnog. It's a truly delicious hot chocolate lava cake with banana -- as good as you can get in any restaurant.
They also sell cream cheese in the holidays. Spirit a grapefruit up the hill. Cut it in sections. Reserve the juice. Cut a crumb cake (or any white or yellow cake in half, spread the outside of one half with cream cheese mixed with a bit of sugar and a teaspoon of juice and a bit of grapefruit zest, put the dark sides (one with the cream cheese) together for the center of the cake. Cook the grapefruit sections, remaining juice, and sugar until the sections are hot and starting to release juice. Pour some of the juice in the bottom of the bowl, put the cake in it to soak it up, then put sections on top of the cake to cover and pour the juicy syrup on top and around the cake. It's a prison version of the famous Brown Derby Restaurant Grapefruit Cake still served in the copy of the Brown Derby at Disney Studios theme park.
Ask her how long her bulletin board is and send her a calendar that will fit on it -- make it colorful and beautiful. You can have calendars made with family and other favorite photos at your local FedEx store or find them online. She'd love it.
Books, puzzle books, subscriptions are all good. The instructions for sending things are on the Alderson website. Make sure she doesn't get too many at once. Note the allowable limits and space things out.
You can send confetti with your letters as long as it doesn't have glitter -- it can be a way to add extra festivity. But only send paper. No ribbons or glued on decorations, etc. You can send templates or card stock ornaments -- just write on the back. You can rubber stamp to your heart's delight!
Sending a large advent calendar card can add lots of fun for her holiday -- opening a new window every day for the four weeks before Christmas. My cousin sent me one every year and we all gathered around to see what each new day would bring.
If she doesn't crochet, it's a great time to learn. Women crochet everything but the kitchen sink there -- and somebody's probably trying to figure out how to do that even as I write! They sell a wide array of yarn colors in the commissary. If she does or wants to learn, a good book on it with modern patterns is always welcome.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrock130 View Post
My daughter was at Alderson for Christmas 2 years. They decorate there. I sent her cards that she could hang up in her cube. In fact I had 50 friends send her cards. She was fully decorated. I also sent her some books and a planner that was very pretty. I ORDERED THOSE FROM AMAZON. I went to see her and we would laugh about having dinner from the vending machines. She has been out for 2 years and we have talked about getting a vending machine to have Christmas Eve dinner out of. LOL They will have caroling The church services are good. There will be a special dinner for Christmas. I hope all this helps you. Oh, I also sent a magazine subscription as well and put extra money on her commissary account so she could buy more music for her mp3 player.
Make sure cards do not have glitter on them. That is a regulation.