Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 10-21-2003, 06:30 AM

Default Work release RENT

OK, here is my dileman: My son is serving a sentence in Walker County here in alabama on work release. He has been here since july of this year. He wont get out until Sept of 2004. He didnt have a job when he first went in, and so he got behind in his rent. He has to pay $85.00 a week in rent, and if he doesnt pay his rent on time each week, another $40.00 is added to it for every week that it isnt paid. He has gotten about $500.00 behind in his rent. Now he is working, and he has been trying to catch his rent up by paying half of his paychech each week to county work release. The thing is, now they want him to pay ALL the back rent at once. They dont provide him anything at work release but a roof over his bed, and a dingy little cot to sleep on. He has to provide all his food, clothing, personall items, plus he is paying court fines, and he is going to have to go to court ordered drug rehab starting this week, and that will be another $40-$60 a week. How is he supposed to live if they take all his money? I help him out on his meals and stuff, but my income is limited, and he also helps me out alot financially. Is it legal for them to take more money from him so that he cant survive? Any help would be appreciated. We cant afford a lawyer, so that is out. Thanks
Kathy