Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Texas prison & criminal justice system.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Texas HB2120

Has anyone heard any details about the newly proposed house bill 2120? The verbiage on the bill is very vague but my husband is being told it will potentially allow good time credit for 3G offenses. Does anyone know if this is true?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanked 9,453 Times in 5,374 Posts

Everybody in TDCJ is ALREADY eligible to receive good time credits in varying amounts based either on when they came into TDCJ custody or what their time-earning status happens to be.

What is being proposed is to make somewhere near 20K offenders instantly eligible for parole by applying those time credits towards the parole eligibility date. That doesn't fly with victims and prosecutors and juries.

It would be one thing if they wanted to make it a prospective change, but its failure is going to be in the efforts to make it retroactive. Complicating matters is the claim that it has no fiscal impact, a claim which ignores the added staff that would be necessary to PROCESS that many new reviews not to mention the staff in the field to supervise even 3-4K new releasees above and beyond the currently anticipated releases...

Complicating even more is that Senator Whitmire was around in the revolving door days and has repeatedly sworn we were never again going back to that era. There isn't a bedspace issue. There IS a budget issue. But he has sworn that we, as a State, are NOT going to make release decisions based on budget concerns if it places the population of the State at risk.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
David (03-24-2017), dtmom2013 (03-24-2017), Ness (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 PM

When will this be voted?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:25 PM

Post House Bill 2120 Credit for Good Time 85th Texas Legislature

There is currently a bill, HB 2120 before the Texas House of Representatives that could help get our loved ones home sooner.

I tried to include some links below, but the forum won't let me because I am new. I included partial links below. You will have to add the http and www part to them to get them to work.

If family and friends don't call the committee members and their representative this bill will die in committee and never even make it to be voted on.

If passed this bill would give our guys credit for their good time, which with 3g offenses they aren't getting now.

.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB2120

Here is the link to the Committee Member page:

.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=C200

Here is where anyone can find their current rep to call:

.house.state.tx.us/members/find-your-representative/

Below is the letter I sent to the ACLU of Texas a little earlier today.

Good Afternoon,

There is currently a bill languishing in the Corrections Committee in the Texas Legislature. The passage of House Bill 2120 would allow inmates who have committed 3g offenses to have their good time included in their consideration for parole. It is very important that this bill pass as it has the potential to reduce the inmate population, heal families, and significantly reduce the financial strain on Texas. The inmates who are obtaining good time are showing they have made the necessary changes within themselves to be productive members of the community. Not allowing them to get credit for their good behavior, work ethic, and participation in rehabilitative and reformative programs at TDCJ is punishing them twice and costing the state a lot of money. Though the nature of these crimes are serious, these inmates are able to repent, change internally, and be productive members of society. God grants us all free will to turn from our harmful ways. Denying the consideration of good time is to deny the grace and forgiveness of God to these specific inmates.

There is a lot of fear mongering around this Bill. Passage of HB 2120 does not suddenly set dangerous criminals free. It only makes the good behavior of these people a consideration for their release. Other offenders already receive this consideration. Release is still completely at the discretion of the Parole Board. People who still pose a danger will remain in prison, but those who are ready to be an asset to their community will have the opportunity to be free. Some of the 3g offenses have ruined lives. Keeping people in prison who have repented and changed themselves is just ruining another life. We can't change the past, but we can change the future.

Texas has an extremely high incarceration rate when compared to other states. The human cost is exceptional in terms of destroyed marriages, parent-less children, and impoverished families. The financial burden of keeping reformed individuals in prison is siphoning resources from our state that could be employed much better. The passage of this bill will be a financial and a human benefits to Texas.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to D007 For This Useful Post:
Cowboy&Nana11 (06-03-2017), daddysbabydoll (04-02-2017), dtmom2013 (03-29-2017), Guccigrl (03-29-2017), jjenn (04-03-2017), Julia1976 (03-30-2017), linette.banks (06-20-2017), mama jo (06-15-2017), okielove (03-30-2017), Robsbae (04-09-2017), Thelma L (06-08-2017), TXGirl12 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:39 AM

Totally agree with D007 !
I saw on the website of TIFA (Texas Inmate Families Association) , that they have a petition that can be signed.

The more people do, and like in your message, call or mail representatives and such, the more it has a change , and it will get our loved ones home, the daddies home, the men home, into our families and communities.
The parole board has the decision to release those inmates, its not all of a sudden that our towns are flooding with dangerous people. This bill is, to me, a win-win possibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robsbae For This Useful Post:
mama jo (06-15-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:19 PM

is the petition still available? my LO is a 3G offender n was optimistic about this. He wanted me to get more info about it. If you can let me know what additional support is out there in which Senate can hear our voices regardind this proposed bill that will be great! thank you
Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Hi guys, I read online that this will take effect as of September 1st 2017....?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSkye View Post
Hi guys, I read online that this will take effect as of September 1st 2017....?
It will NOT be taking effect. The effective date IF PASSED might have been September 1st, but it never even made it out of Committee.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
JamesInLA (05-25-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:43 AM

Default Pending

I check these every other day on the 85th texas legislature online bill lookup. Its current status is pending since 3/20/2017
The Following User Says Thank You to Mybabejames For This Useful Post:
JamesInLA (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybabejames View Post
I check these every other day on the 85th texas legislature online bill lookup. Its current status is pending since 3/20/2017
Does this mean that the Bill might still pass? I hope so ..... thank you.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:01 AM

I really dont know. My husband said that most of the bills pertaining to prison reform dont get voted on til June. She may be correct. It is just sitting there with no other actions. You can check on the Texas 85th legislature website bill lookup. Ill keep checking as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Mybabejames For This Useful Post:
JamesInLA (05-25-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Things that are left in Committee months ago are NOT going to be in Calendars with a week to go until Sine Die.

And the only thing that MIGHT get voted in June would be anything introduced in Special Session, which means that in order to pass, HB2120 has to be re-drafted and re-introduced under whatever new Bill number is assigned.
JamesInLA (05-25-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Does this mean the bill has passed or is it still being looked at with the special session just a desperate lonely mother for her son I want him to get out as soon as possible what can I sign
Old 06-09-2017, 04:48 PM

No. It never left Committee. Anything not passed by Sine Die is dead. This is not something that would be expected to be revisited during a Special Session.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
No. It never left Committee. Anything not passed by Sine Die is dead. This is not something that would be expected to be revisited during a Special Session.
so don't count on anything
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 AM

I am just so confused I'm 63 and this is just too much politics not wrapping around my head
Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 AM

I love Texas but they are the slowest state to do anything for offenders it doesn't matter what they've done or if they are the slowest no video chats with JPay like other states it's just ridiculous the state of Texas is slow up anything except for killing people
Old 06-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama jo View Post
I love Texas but they are the slowest state to do anything for offenders it doesn't matter what they've done or if they are the slowest no video chats with JPay like other states it's just ridiculous the state of Texas is slow up anything except for killing people
It was not realistic to expect that retroactive changes would be made regarding parole eligibility. To do so would piss off every single voter that ever sat on a jury and would also serve to increase the plea offers made going forward. Remember that Whitmire was around in the revolving door era and swore we would NEVER go back to those practices...

Video chats often come at the expense of losing in-person visitation. Beware what you wish for...
mama jo (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 09:48 AM

I'm not saying I want to start human contact it's just that it's the 14-hour drive to see my son I'm 63 and sometimes I can handle it I haven't seen my son in 3 years I was just thinking that video chat Skype when you can visit don't stop the human contact when you can go and visit oh no I'm not saying that not at all that would be my worst nightmare one of them anyway I think you so much for listening I appreciate it so much thank you
Old 06-22-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
It will NOT be taking effect. The effective date IF PASSED might have been September 1st, but it never even made it out of Committee.
It actually says pending in committee. It didn't say that it failed.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tookie2010 View Post
It actually says pending in committee. It didn't say that it failed.
Considering that the Session is OVER, it failed. If it did not get out of Committee, it went NOWHERE. It never got voted on by the full body much less making it to the Senate for a vote.

I miss the days when Civics were actually taught in public schools...