Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row - What you need to know!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row - What you need to know! General and State Specific questions/answers about Death Row - mail & more - whatever you need to know can probably be found here!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Samantha

Default Am I crazy or is it almost impossible to contact SQSP for visiting appts?

I have become so frustrated with San Quentin State Prison. I hear they are not particularly known for being helpful. Does anyone have problems reaching the main office or the number for making visiting appointments?

I NEVER GET THROUGH! It seems like their main office is never open either.

What do I do? Does anyone have any tips or information?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Call with two phones, that helps. I know it is very hard to get through, but you just have to keep on trying and calling and hit the redial button. Maybe you have some friends that can help try?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

Are you trying to get extended visits? If you so you need to request your appt in writing. If you are gpoing to visit for the regular 2 hours then the only thing I can say is start calling early saturday morning and hit re-dial

Let me know if I can assist.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Samantha

Default Help! I've been calling the visiting # and customer service #

For days, and right now, almost 30 minutes and I can't get through. My boyfriend's cell neighbour gets visits every Sunday and I'm wondering why they get through so easily.

HELP!

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM

What number are you calling? And do you live nearby the prison?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Samantha

I live right near the GG Bridge and I call the condemned contact visiting appointment number.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Did you already manage to get through?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Samantha

The only way I got this first visit scheduled was because Rick sent the visiting lieutenant a letter. I was talking to the woman from "House on the Hill" and she was so helpful and I also didn't know THEY would pick you up from the SRTC! Great!

But I've learned that the dress code is MUCH harder than I thought... :-/

Anyways, in case I have to wear their clothes, what do they look like?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Missin' my heart & soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefactorygirl View Post
The only way I got this first visit scheduled was because Rick sent the visiting lieutenant a letter. I was talking to the woman from "House on the Hill" and she was so helpful and I also didn't know THEY would pick you up from the SRTC! Great!

But I've learned that the dress code is MUCH harder than I thought... :-/

Anyways, in case I have to wear their clothes, what do they look like?

If you prepare ahead of time there is no reason you will need to go change your clothes... Their clothes look like normal clothes... just think "thrift store" They are used clothing in a variety of sizes, colors etc. When you go in they will ask you your size and usually give you a choice or two... what sucks is if you do wear their clothes when the visit is over you have to go back up the hill and give them back what you've borrowed... more importantly- it takes away time from your visit.

BUT... there are a lot of things you CAN wear so you don't have to stress on the clothing. I always wear black jeans and a conservative top, I don't suggest "skinny" jeans as they aren't supposed to be form fitting. No blue, no green, no orange, no tan, no camo *hahaha*, no blue denim... I have found that the feminine colors are "safe" Think black pants and a pink top or purple... basically stay away from anything that looks like a guard uniform or prisoner uniform... Don't wear tight clothes, don't wear short tops- you will have to lift your hands up and your stomach can't show, no strapless, or halter tops... basically common sense will get you through the door. Think like you're headed to church... just change the color scheme. Even just a girly t-shirt and black jeans would be just fine. If you have a specific question about what you can or can't wear feel free to PM one of us that have gone through it all before It's way more stressful in the beginning once you've done it a couple times you'll get a system down!

The Following User Says Thank You to CSunshyn For This Useful Post:
MurdererMusings (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Murderer Musings

Thank you for this information. I had NO IDEA it was that difficult to send mail or visit an inmate on DR. My friend is awaiting trial (in California) and it is a DP case. He's in County right now. None of it is easy, but at least I am able to write to him and visit without TOO much trouble.

Question - You have to call the SQ to make a visiting appointment???

The idea of him going to SQ worries me a lot.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

Let's take this a step at a time,

If he's awaiting trail let's hope that he's not found guilty of a capitol murder to be sent to San Quentin. It's alot going on with the death penalty in california and the question of it being constitutional or not. So let's get through the trials first. If he is found gulity and sent to SQ the death row side is completley diffrent as far as making appointments. It's diffrent from the general population and you would have to write in 30 days in advance to schedule you an appointment. But again let's hope that he's not guilty of murder that would give him the capitol punishment. I hope this helps.
MurdererMusings (08-05-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 03:06 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,450 Times in 7,506 Posts

1. this thread is more than 3 years old - start a new thread.

2. as pj said - he's awaiting trial. You're really putting the cart in front of the horse on this one. Even when charged with a death penalty offense, the State has to make an announcement that they are actually seeking the death penalty. Once that happens, things slow waaayyyyy down. Murder trials without the death penalty take at least a year before they happen. Throw in a death penalty, an you can tack on another year or two before he even goes to trial.

3. They usually settle for LWOP. Most death penalty cases do not go to trial.

4. If he takes it to trial and is actually found guilty, he probably won't get the death penalty, but will get LWOP or lower. Statistically, juries are more and more reluctant to impose death, especially in places like CA where there's been a de facto moratorium on the death penalty for more than a decade. On death row in CA, the number one cause of death is natural causes, number 2 is suicide, and number 3 is actual execution

Listen, don't worry about Quentin. You're no where near that now, and there's no guarantee he's going to find himself there.

Instead, concentrate on where he is right now. Right now, he's pre-trial. He's going through a lot right now, and psychologically, he'll want to give up at some point, change his plea, and ask for death. Realize it's going to happen. Work on helping him maintain psychological stability and a positive outlook.

Do not condemn him before the courts condemn him. Do not sign the visitation paperwork at Quentin until you know he's been convicted, that he's going to Q, and that he's actually facing death.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
MurdererMusings (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Murderer Musings

Default No SQ Yet

Thank you so much for the advice and support. I know I shouldn't start worrying already, it's just that the Orange County D.A. seems obsessed with keeping the DP on the table.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:39 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,450 Times in 7,506 Posts

The best thing you can do atm is to keep him positive.

Know he's going to be in jail long enough that you need to take care of his stuff - help him with a POA so that his rent gets paid and you can access his bank accounts so he can put his stuff in storage, and deal with everything so that credit card bills aren't piling up and his last paycheck gets spent properly. Make sure his plants and pets get placed with people who'll take care of both so that he's not worried about either and knows that he'll get them back when the time comes.

Make sure he's got money on his books, books to read, visits to attend, and clothes for his trial should it get that far. Ask him what he needs to keep his attitude positive and help him with that positive attitude.

If you can help keep him positive through all of this, you'll be doing a great thing - it'll help him deal with the jail, with his attorneys, and with seeing his situation without that lens of depression that falls over most facing death. If he goes into that depression, your support can prevent him from getting deep into it, and help to shorten its impact on his life so that he doesn't do something stupid.

Seriously - his attorneys cannot do this for him. The love and support of somebody outside can make a huge difference in everything. Don't underestimate the importance of staying positive and helping him stay positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
FreeReigns (12-02-2015), joybubby (09-02-2015)