Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row - What you need to know!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row - What you need to know! General and State Specific questions/answers about Death Row - mail & more - whatever you need to know can probably be found here!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 PM

Default Florida DR - What can you send?

Posted this in the wrong sub, so I posted it here as this is where it should be.

What exactly can you send and not send to an inmate at Lowell Death Row?

May seem a silly question, but can you send books, writing paper, pens, music? If so, can it be in a package, like a gift box, or can you only send anything that fits in a standard envelope, so letters and photos? Im just trying to figure out what I can and cant send to my penpal, and what size box, envelope they accept for inmates

Also, I assume if you want to send a few bucks, Jpay is the best way to do it? Im curious, how often do DR inmates get to go to commissary, and how pricy is it for them?

Can you send them paintings, items for their cell?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,448 Times in 7,506 Posts

start with the general mail rules here:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/writing.html

FL treats its DR inmates pretty badly. They don't get a lot of the things that general pop inmates get. Most painting stuff, music, and the like has to be ordered through commissary if I remember correctly, and even then, since they are "special", they don't get a ton of access to anything that the powers that be state they are not allowed to have. Further, DR doesn't have just one status of prisoner.

Your best bet is to talk with your inmate about what he's allowed, and how it's generally obtained.

Sending a box from home will not get through to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Serbgirl (05-07-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaakim View Post
Posted this in the wrong sub, so I posted it here as this is where it should be.

What exactly can you send and not send to an inmate at Lowell Death Row?

May seem a silly question, but can you send books, writing paper, pens, music? If so, can it be in a package, like a gift box, or can you only send anything that fits in a standard envelope, so letters and photos? Im just trying to figure out what I can and cant send to my penpal, and what size box, envelope they accept for inmates

Also, I assume if you want to send a few bucks, Jpay is the best way to do it? Im curious, how often do DR inmates get to go to commissary, and how pricy is it for them?

Can you send them paintings, items for their cell?

Wow that's a pretty touchy subject! DR inmates are pretty limited, they DO NOT go to commissary, they are in their cells most of the day and usually their only friends are letters or officers. They are not allowed to congregate with other inmates. On top of that, they have a t.v. in their own room to reduce their time of being out of the cell, and whenever they have an appointment on the compound, i.e. medical or psych, etc.. they have to shut down the whole facility to move them. As far as sending anything to them, it is very limited, basically letters, stationary, envelopes and books.. otherwise, they would have to special order anything else.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:52 AM

I also have a pal on Florida's death row.

I just sent him 20 stamps and 10 greeting cards. I was very surprised that the FDOC allows blank cards to be sent in....and in addition to him sending them to friends, family or other pen pals, he can trade them for items he might need. A couple of weeks ago I sent some Mother's Day cards & a bunch of his neighbors wanted them, so he was very popular!!

Other than that though.... I just send him books from Amazon.com, money on JPay and letters.

The way I found out exactly what they can have is I just asked him. They know the rules like the back of their hands!!

Good luck and enjoy your pen pal.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:09 AM

As far as I'm led to believe you can only send in paper items, like photo's, letters etc. Books have to be sent via a publisher and it can only go through regular postal service. UPS or other couriers get refused. My friend is in UCI.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnLvrNut View Post
As far as I'm led to believe you can only send in paper items, like photo's, letters etc. Books have to be sent via a publisher and it can only go through regular postal service. UPS or other couriers get refused. My friend is in UCI.
Yes, that's true. When I send him a book from Amazon.com, I always double check that the carrier is the USPS. Some use DHL to start out, but in the end, the post office still delivers the book. He told me no FedEx or UPS.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:58 PM

Ordering for summer packages begins on JUNE 13th!!!