Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row - What you need to know!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row - What you need to know! General and State Specific questions/answers about Death Row - mail & more - whatever you need to know can probably be found here!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Default Conditions in Polunsky 2014

I have just been reading about the mistreatment of inmates by the CO's in a thread from 2003. Does anybody know what conditions are like now?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 PM

There's some mold in some areas because the roof leaks when it rains. Some cells leak too, causing mold - but that's why they'll patch up the leaks however they can. In fact, when my friend gets moved to a new cell he hopes for rain just so he can check it out for leaks. The food often leaves a lot to be desired and it's no secret that sometimes they might get moldy bologna, but this is not an every day occurrence. They're housed in solitary for 22 hours a day in a cell smaller than your bathroom, but they aren't lacking total communication. They do talk to each other (if they want) and can associate with people during their rec time (if they want). Their "perks" (meaning, their radio and other property) can and will be taken away from them if they are moved down in level. Some pods are dirtier than the others. (A Pod is the "show off pod" - where they bring people to see the death row operation - so it's kept in much better condition than the rest. F Pod, from what I was told, is the worst.) Some pods are quieter than the others. Some are louder. No TV. No phone access. Verbal communication with the outside world is only available with the COs and visitors.

That said, it's a freaking dungeon. There are some there who have completely lost their minds and some who are losing the battle with sanity. I mean, come on - you've got a guy there who is a paranoid schizophrenic who (sorry to be gross) dug out his eye and ate it. Those are the guys who get fed psychiatric drugs in order to make them sane enough to be executed. And there are beatings. There are the COs who will provoke in order to get a fight out of an inmate, or an inmate who may find himself on the receiving end of a beating because he didn't "rack up" quick enough.

It's hell. To quote my friend: "the living conditions here will only beat you if you let it." And a lot of people let that place win.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainyCola For This Useful Post:
Chapel (09-12-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:17 AM

Thanks RainyCola, I was hoping something had changed for the best in the last ten years but obviously not. What a hellish nightmare these men have to live and then they die. My heart sheds copious tears at the thought of what they are going though without anybody in their state seeming to give a damn. I just dont get it
The Following User Says Thank You to redgrl For This Useful Post:
Sammy91 (09-19-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 AM

I read this today and thought it was a good place to share. I'm not saying what these guys deal with is right, but the COs don't really have it much easier. http://www.thenation.com/article/181...strial-complex
Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 AM

Thanks RainyCola an interesting article. I do understand how difficult their jobs must be but at the end of the day they can walk away...
Old 09-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Of course they can walk away. And they do. They go home to their families, spend holidays with their loved ones, etc. But the effects of working there do stay with them. Even those who don't work on the pod or at the prison. I've seen and read interviews with chaplains, transport drivers... What they do stays with them forever. Unless they're cold blooded, of course.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Conditions at Polunsky

Here is a great website about the medieval horror that is Polunsky.

Minutesbeforesix

The article is Fifty Thousand Words, Supposedly from August 15th 2009

Pictures with explanations.