Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the SULLIVAN HUB - Ulster, Eastern, Woodbourne, Sullivan, Shawangunk, Wallkill, Otisville, Mid-Orange.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:02 AM

Default Husband in SHU at eastern

So.... didnít take long but husband is locked up in SHU right now with a tier 3 drug possession ticket. He learned the hard way that crap that flies in auburn isnít going to in a halfway decent prison that goes by the rules. My question is what happens now? This is his first offense in the 3 years heís been in. Does that matter? Can he call me once a week? Iím at a loss but I know I canít control it and 5 years is 5 years so I just sleep well at night knowing heís safe and I have zero control over his choices or their consequences but not knowing anything is whatís hard. They did give him one emergency phone call which is how I know all of this. Whatís next??
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,860 Posts

I believe one call a month. I'm truly not sure. He can lose his good time because of the ticket, but may be able to get it back over the years he has left.

You can write to him. He gets minimal commissary.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Suesue22 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 03:49 PM

Depending on how long he has in the SHU. My husband was is eastern then got in trouble put in shu . He had a lot of shu time so he got sent up to Upstate to do his shu time . till they find out what he did and how long he needs in the shu. Hopefully he don’t go to Upstate cause they don’t get calls often like one a month or so depending on his time he has in the shu. Then my husband went to Mid State for shu and he only called me once every two months till he hits a certain tier then the calls get closer but not every day close . My husband is Home now thank god but good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImNotTha01 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-13-2019), Suesue22 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Thanked 1,059 Times in 464 Posts

First he is pending investigation. Then he has hearing, learns his disposition. First tier 3, drugs, first ticket, more than likely 30days keep lock, which get an auto time cut to 27. If this is first ticket less likely to lose good time. Yes, good discip history counts, but now he’s got to stay clean, and if he completed an ASAT program already the drug ticket is a regression, so he’ll have to repeat.
As soon as he writes you you’ll feel better knowing what’s your facing.
I hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (12-13-2019), Suesue22 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
First he is pending investigation. Then he has hearing, learns his disposition. First tier 3, drugs, first ticket, more than likely 30days keep lock, which get an auto time cut to 27. If this is first ticket less likely to lose good time. Yes, good discip history counts, but now heís got to stay clean, and if he completed an ASAT program already the drug ticket is a regression, so heíll have to repeat.
As soon as he writes you youíll feel better knowing whatís your facing.
I hope this helps.
That makes me feel so much better. Itís just so disheartening because he sat in IPC for 2 years at Auburn and needs programs and stuff like how are you supposed to get clean without something to help? I go to AA and counseling for a reason ugh. But he got I think 2 tier 2ís while he was in auburn for hanging a blanket and got keep locked for 4 days and another for using the phone and keep locked for 2 weeks. He hasnít completed ASAT but was starting AA and NA when he went in. This is his first time in the box and they let him call me the next day for some reason to tell me what happened. I guess it was a really small amount so Iím just praying for keep lock in his cell. If heís in SHU I know our visits are behind glass, if itís keep lock I think we get regular visits. They told me to call after his hearing to find out what his loss of privileges are but they wonít tell me when that is so I think I might get up at 4 and make the drive Thursday morning. Iím just scared heíll get a ton of SHU time or transferred
Old 12-14-2019, 02:44 AM

Thanked 1,059 Times in 464 Posts

Tickets really do build on nature of offense in the last 5/10yrs incarcerated so let’s hope for the best. They can’t tell you what day the hearing will be because there is a process that has to be followed, and pieces have to be investigated. For the safety of all inviolved. Sometimes a SHU admission is to keep HIM safe.
Then he gets tier assistance to gather evidence he requests for his defense. Hopefully all staff is available, or they can request extension from Albany (as far as his requested witnesses also).
The phone call is per new DOCCS directive allowing the call prior to box admission to alleviate the fear families have when their LO just drops off radar.
But he can still write and make special buys from commissary for stamps and any writing needs.
It’s just a wait game for you now unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
Suesue22 (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 06:42 AM

Call before you visit because SHU visits may be at a different time.

Suesue22 (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Tickets really do build on nature of offense in the last 5/10yrs incarcerated so let’s hope for the best. They can’t tell you what day the hearing will be because there is a process that has to be followed, and pieces have to be investigated. For the safety of all inviolved. Sometimes a SHU admission is to keep HIM safe.
Then he gets tier assistance to gather evidence he requests for his defense. Hopefully all staff is available, or they can request extension from Albany (as far as his requested witnesses also).
The phone call is per new DOCCS directive allowing the call prior to box admission to alleviate the fear families have when their LO just drops off radar.
But he can still write and make special buys from commissary for stamps and any writing needs.
It’s just a wait game for you now unfortunately.
It’s just so hard I’m so disappointed but I was not going to say that while he was hysterical and had just gotten out of a straight jacket. I’ve been talking to someone in there who was also searched but came up clean (an inmate told on them to get this to happen) and the guy I talk to said it was a small amount recovered so they’re hoping for 30-60 day keep lock and not SHU which would make our visits different I think. I know he just gets one a week through glass on any day if he’s SHU but if he’s in his cell he can sit at the table with me. This life is so hard and lonely sometimes and nobody can understand it unless they’ve dealt with it and I hate the people in my life who know the least but have the most to say. I’m at my breaking point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suesue22 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-14-2019), Ms Sunny (12-14-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Soooo update ugh. He got the tier 3 contraband after his cell search and went to the box then on Sunday after they packed and searched his property they said they found more and gave him a second tier 3 ticket. He coincidentally happens to me in the same prison as the guy he committed the crime with and the 3 of us all existed before prison so him and I email and talk. We’ve been emailing regularly and he had all of the sudden disappeared since I received his last two emails yesterday morning at 7:51 am. I think he said a lot more than he should have in these messages but I have no clue. His counselor was out of the office until tomorrow when I called today and I just want to see if me visiting Monday is possible if he hasn’t had his hearing and I’m also afraid of getting wrapped up in their crap because his friend stopped talking to me too. This happened in auburn, they tried pulling me into something that had NOTHING to do with me with all the inmates bunking with my husband. I wanted to see him for Christmas but I feel like keeping my distance right now might be best. I don’t want to make things worse. He also told me they took him into a room and “roughed him up pretty good”. I’m at a loss my heart is just broken I don’t know what to expect from this
Old 12-18-2019, 03:16 PM

Im sorry to hear all this. You have thinking to do. I would be afraid of how he would be when he comes home if he is not changing his ways in there. He could lose his CR date for all of this.

Protecting yourself is important as they will look to see how it got in there.

I would be extremely pissed off tbh. Other guy might be in SHU too which is why you haven't heard anything

Suesue22 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:49 PM

Iím beyond furious and disappointed in him. I was going to see him Sunday but I am genuinely afraid of them trying to blame me but I would never be ok with or condone his behavior. I definitely will be taking a long time to take some space from him.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Hopefully this is the wake up call he needs. Eventually they tire of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (12-18-2019), priceam (12-19-2019), Suesue22 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:12 PM

So I have no clue how but he is out of the box and called me tonight. I guess at his hearing he made so many valid points and I think the prison did something they shouldn’t have. I hope he learned the hard way, we almost lost everything.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesue22 View Post
So I have no clue how but he is out of the box and called me tonight. I guess at his hearing he made so many valid points and I think the prison did something they shouldnít have. I hope he learned the hard way, we almost lost everything.
Sometimes there is just not enough evidence to make the incident report stick and the inmate is returned to GP and the ticket is expunged.

The hearing officer reviews the totality of the situation and it is clear that on appeal the ticket would be thrown out and it gets tossed before it gets to that point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (12-20-2019)