Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Transfer was for Law Library Access- *Now Permanent*

David just called. I'm hoping his visit to Lehman isn't temporary. Initially, he requested a transfer for access to the law library. A few weeks later he sent a kite cancelling the request and decided to go the grievance route. I should have known better than to think that the grievance process got him moved so quickly.

Any one know how long a law library transfer is suppose to last?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Round 2

Oh crap. You mean he was only transferred so he coud have access to the library? They could send him back?

Keeping fingers crossed that it's not temporary.

Stacy
Old 12-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I had never heard of anyone being transferred just for access to the law library. I know that they are entitled to access to the law library but I thought that all facilities had a law library and if they didn't have access then the books had to be brought to the inmate. I will be going to see my guy tomorrow and I will ask him about this. He used to work in the law library and I know that he used to have to fill book requests for guys in seg so I know they get access. Congrats on the transfer. I hope its more permanent if that is what you guys want.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Camp Cusino doesn't have a law library so Camp Lehman is where they route them to. He met a guy yesterday that went in on a law library transfer and they changed his status after a couple of months. Hoping that's what happens for us.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Round 2

Keeping fingers crossed.

Stacy
Old 12-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Satisfied

That's just silly!!!!!

I hope he stays!!!

Jenn
Old 12-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Talked to my guy about this and he said that everyone has access to the law library but that if they are at a facility that doesn't have a law library then they have to have the books brought to them. He had never heard of someone being transferred just to use the law library but wasn't surprised because it would take a little extra effort to transfer the books all the time. Good luck to you! I hope he stays!

Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 PM

Looks like the transfer to Lehman is temporary. Alger oversees Cusino so, at David's request, I talked to the warden's assistant today. He basically said that after a certain period of time - maybe 30 days, he wasn't sure, he would be transferred back. I mentioned the whole grievance process we were going through and his office would be the one to grant it and he does not believe he's eligible to be moved to a Region 2 facility. The ADW at Lehman denied it because she said Baraga was not an unsecured level I. We filed a grievance because the policy states that it is. (Baraga is the same security level as a camp - unsecured level I.) Alger doesn't dispute that it is, but states that the ADW was incorrect to give that as a reason for denying the transfer. Camp transfers require 12 months in a UP "camp" - not unsecured level I facility so he cannot move to a Region 2 facility. His 8 months at Baraga will not count, nor will his time at Lehman. The clock will start ticking again when he is returned to Cusino. It's crazy because he tells me they have the authority to transfer after 8 months in a UP camp, instead of the 12 that's specified in the policy. However, he did 10 months in a UP unsecured facility and had less than 24 months to his ERD, but they placed him in a Region 1 camp. If he did 12 months in a UP facility and had less than 24 months to his ERD he would have qualified to go directly to a Region 2. So they can take 4 months off if you are already in a camp, but can't take off 2 months and move you directly to a Region 2. I asked him if he could put all policy aside and tell me that all of the above was logical. His response was there has to be some guidelines to follow so that's what we do.

I don't know if I would have been better off by not talking to him instead of drawing more attention to the matter. Maybe there would be more of a chance that he would stay at Lehman.

I guess I'll appreciate my visit even more this weekend.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 AM
Closed

Well I don't really know if this makes a difference or not; but it was my understanding that each UP facilityhas a difference policy on transferring; because my husband was told that he could transfer from Straits to Hiawatha and all his time would count, then once he got to Hiawatha he could transfer after 4 months. But seems like you policy on it down pretty good I just wanted to understand it a little better. I just as soon have my husband stay at Straits to reach his year mark and then try to transfer.....
Old 12-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Satisfied

That just sucks DJB's. Really sucks. I'm sorry.

At least you got someone who was willing to talk to you. That's kinda, well, not the norm.

HOPEFULLY... David's happy little butt will be HOME soon and you won't have to deal with it at all!!!

Jenn
Old 12-29-2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhane
Well I don't really know if this makes a difference or not; but it was my understanding that each UP facilityhas a difference policy on transferring;
It's probably more like each facility makes up their own, probably unwritten, policy. There is one policy that is suppose to govern all transfers statewide, but obviously it doesn't work that way.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBenji
That just sucks DJB's. Really sucks. I'm sorry.

At least you got someone who was willing to talk to you. That's kinda, well, not the norm.

HOPEFULLY... David's happy little butt will be HOME soon and you won't have to deal with it at all!!!

Jenn
Yes, it does suck. I haven't decided if I'm going to waste the money on the phone calls or some of our precious visit time telling David.

The warden's assistant was very pleasant and even called me back today to tell me that David can request to go back to Cusino whenever his research is done and if they notice that he is not going to the law library they will probably send him back themselves.

I would love to think he will be coming home soon, but I'm already preparing myself mentally that he will not be home at his ERD. There's no way he'll get in AOP, let alone complete it.

This whole process just sucks!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Satisfied

I'm sorry Sweetie.

Just encourage him to keep going to the library VERY often. Maybe they won't send him back until they *think* he's finished? If nothing else, it's a way to get some extra days down state out of them.

Any idea about when he'll be starting AOP???

I know that there's classes starting for AOP in Feb where B is... Or so that's the impression they are giving. So maybe he can get started SOON!!!

Hang in there sweetie!!!!

Jenn
Old 12-30-2005, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the encouragement Mrs. B.

No clue when he'll be starting AOP. Lehman offers about 5 sessions at a time and from what he hears only the guys that got flopped are getting in. About six months ago, Lansing told me to check back if he wasn't in when he had a year to his ERD. I'll start my daily phone calls after the New Year, though I think it will only result in further frustration.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Satisfied

Well, you *are* dealing with the MDOC and that's always frustrating one way or another!! *gag* Hang in there sweetie. And keep at those calls. Hold 'em to their word!!!!

Lucky David!

Jenn
Old 12-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Donation Award 

In Washington state, only a few of the prisons have legal libraries. When at another facility, an inmate can request to be transferred to a facility with a lega library. The transfers are based on bed availability and last about 2 weeks. Guess it is cheaper to move guys around than to buy more law books.

JJT
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 PM

Found out today that after all the phone calls and grievances, David's transfer to Lehman is final. Hoping this means no more visits across the bridge, unless we are vacationing together.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:51 PM

glad hes gong to be closer to you i cant imagine driving that far i think 2 hours is far!!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

...hope he is closer now!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelles35
glad hes gong to be closer to you i cant imagine driving that far i think 2 hours is far!!
Yeah I use to think 2 hours was far too, until I had to drive 8 and that was flying all the way there. Now, I'm pretty happy for the 3 hour drive. It is something how you re-define far.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB's Wife
Yeah I use to think 2 hours was far too, until I had to drive 8 and that was flying all the way there. Now, I'm pretty happy for the 3 hour drive. It is something how you re-define far.
I agree those drives will just about wear you out....Congrats that the temp transfers end up being permanent.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Satisfied

YAAAH!!!

That's all I have to say really.

Jenn
Old 03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Whooo Hooo!!! I'm glad he is closer and its permanent! Hope he is home soon.