Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Mississippi.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM

My boyfriend is in SMCI. I am in Texas. I plan to visit him for the first time at the end of this month. I am nervous. I don't really know what to expect. So many things....first I worry about just getting there and going thru all the prison security stuff...then I worry about how is he going to react to me..and I to him? How will the conversation go. What can I expect his behavior to be like and how will I resond. It's just all scary to me. I will be making a 9 hour drive there to see him. I want it to go well. Any suggestions, advice...warnings?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

Welcome Tysblue,

Great that you are going to visit. Not knowing how y'all got along before he went in, I can't help you with the personal questions but I am very familiar with the Visits there.
I'll be glad to help with directions and anything else you need.
I have several posts here about the security checks and process etc. Please read. NO JEWELRY, dress conservatively. The officers are helpful and courteous.

YOUR CAR AND ANY BAGS IN CAR WILL BE SEARCHED. DO NOT HAVE A CAMERA OF ANY KIND INCLUDING CELL PHONE CAMERA, AND NO TOOLS OR ANY ITEM THAT CAN BE CONSTRUED AS A WEAPON. You are driving a long way so if in doubt ask me or do not bring it.

I have copied and pasted a previous post here:

After your car is cleared, you will drive down the hill , make a left at the fork in road.

You may only bring in your key, ID and $20 in quarters in a clear bag. Lock purse in trunk.

You will go into a small building where you give your guy's name, show your ID and turn in your key. Once the entry officer clears you, you go through the metal detector, out the back door. Now comes the part that gets some people first time. There are two electric gates. You will pass through one, it will close and then the second one will open to let you in the compound. You will walk to the last door, just follow the sidewalk.

Oh, be SURE you have no paper money on you before leaving the entry building, (I have seen three people arrested for paper money on them) and only a wedding band and a religious medal are allowed beyond this point.

This is the visit room. When you go in, go to the desk and the officer will check your ID again, you sign in on the sheet. Another officer (female) will take you to the search room. Off with the shoes, shake the pockets, shake the bra and whatever else a particular officer might want, but that is it as a rule.Some will pat you down, 'specially if they are new.

Now you are free to use restroom.

The officer at the desk calls the guys in groups. They can come over at 8am, sometimes they have been nice and let them over a few minutes early. The guys are searched coming in, and strip searched after visit.

The room is a large cafeteria style room with vending machines, but it is brighter, cheerier than I expected. You can sit where you want.

They will have count twice during visit. Everyone must be in their seat and quiet during count.

When you end your visit, you must wait by the desk until he has been strip searched and the male officer calls his name as clear. Then you go back to the electric gates and turn your key coin in at the entry office.

You will be asked for your ID as you leave the front gate and to pop your trunk for the officer to check it.

Enjoy.

I have been visiting there for a good long time, so if I missed anything, let me know. I am happy to answer your questions. It is not all that bad. What bothers me about being there is seeing the fences and razor/barbed wire and knowing my loved one is really there. I feel safe there and have not had any problems, but I am very courteous and follow the rules.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:57 PM

Default My Pov

Hey there!

I have a cousin @ SMCI. My mother and I got denied visitation AGAIN today. All I can tell you is to basically rent a car to visit. So many frivulous things are considered contraband and if u dont wanna make a blank trip take EVERYTHING out the car b/c they change policy without notice. I MEAN EVERYTHING! All u need is ur I.D. and a few dollars to get change. We've never been granted visitation! So good luck!