Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:35 AM

Default Local Town Hall Meeting

On Monday I attend a Town Meeting with my MI House Representative for an open discussion on the various issues confronting the constituents of the District.

While accordingly my agenda revolved around the State of Michigan and MDOC Budget, I was quite surprised by the other attendee's that brought the MDOC Budget as a major problem in the state. This included a local Police Chief who discussed that the budget should be re-directed from incarceration towards education on crime and drugs, especially for grade school children in the formative years.

Several others discussed how in this state the taxpayers spend more in Corrections then on Higher Education! Just how disgraceful this is on not only a local but national level.

One of the things the Representative discussed that individuals need to contact their Representative or Senates in the Michigan Legislature and provide their position on the issues that concern them. It works, it may take time but over the long run the “Lansing Gang” will listen.

I sent a long follow up letter this morning to my Representative about the session yesterday that detailed my position that we couldn’t cover in the public forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwnrvr Duke For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (04-28-2009), tballa (04-28-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks and a good idea.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.
~Confucius~
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I thin its a great that there were other members of the general public that were finally expressing concerns about the MDOC budget. The prison population has been shrinking and they are starting to talk about putting some benchmarks in place for releases which would be nice to see as well. About time the general public started to make a stink!

Thanks for the info! It's a bit uplifting to see!