Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Correctional Billing Services Ignores Requests For Billing Statement on Prepaid Acct!

This is a copy of a letter I sent to Correctional Billing Services and forwarded to the Florida Public Service Commission on March 23, 2004

To: Correctional Billing Services

Re: Requests for billing statement and refund

To Whom It May Concern:

I currently have a Prepaid account with Correctional Billing Services. However, I did not start out with a prepaid account. From October 2003 to December 21, 2003 my calls were billed through my long distance company. In order to contain costs I switched to a prepaid account effective December 22, 2003. At that time I also requested that credit be applied to my account for several overcharges on my long distance phone bill. To date, March 23, 2004 I have yet to receive a response to the request for credit for overcharges.
After switching to prepay I have repeatedly called Correctional Billing Services requesting a billing statement. The first request for a detailed billing statement was made on January 6, 2004. Requests were again made on January 31, 2004, February 6, 2004, March 15, 2004 and again on March 23, 2004. At the time of each request I was told to allow 7-10 days for delivery. This is a total of five requests for a detailed billing statement. I have not received one yet. Why does Correctional Billing Services repeatedly ignore my requests for a statement showing me when and how much I am being charged for calls?
Furthermore If I was overcharged by Correctional Billing Services (ie. calls were disconnected right after acceptance of the call but a charged for the full 15 minutes of service at $2.25 per call was applied to my bill) through my long distance provider who supplied me with a detailed bill for each call, how can I be sure that I am ONLY being charged for calls that were connected on my prepaid account when your company will not send me a statement of charges applied to my account? On average I currently have five calls per week that are disconnected upon acceptance of the call and my account is subtracted $2.25 each time, whether I get to talk to my loved one or not. That averages $11.25 a week in overcharges, which I must pay if I wish to talk to my loved one. I requested credit to be applied to my account for these overcharges on December 29, 2003, December 31, 2003, January 6, 2004, January 31, 2004 and February 6, 2004.
On March 23, 2004 I spoke with Jona, a customer service representative of Correctional Billing Services and confirmed all of the dates and requests for billing statements and credit refund requests. I am now requesting in writing that I receive a detailed billing statement for all calls from December 22, 2003 to March 23, 2004. I am also requesting credit for all calls with a connection time of 3 minutes or less dating from October 30, 2003 to March 23, 2004. The original request for refund that was made on December 29, 2003 was within the 60 day period allowed for calls starting October 30, 2003.
I am sending a copy of this letter to the Florida Public Service Commission so that they will be aware of the repeated requests I have made that have been ignored by Correctional Billing Services.

Waiting on your reply,
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Received a response today!

Your account has been forwarded to our investigation unit, Please allow 7 to 10 business days.

Of course I will. They always say please allow 7 to 10 business days. It's been 3 months!
Old 03-24-2004, 05:41 PM

that is insane!
Old 03-27-2004, 02:11 PM

Well, Well.....I received my billing statement today. It is postdated 03/24/04. That is the day after I e-mailed this letter to Correctional Billing Services and the Florida Public Utilities Commission. :fb:

I counted up $69.75 in overcharges. That does not include the additional overcharges that are present on my local phone bill before I set up the prepaid account. The overcharges look like this on the statement....

Date time minutes talked charge
12/27/2003 2:33pm 1 (disconnected) 2.25
12/27/2003 2:42pm 1 (disconnected again) 2.25
12/27/2003 2:43pm 1 (disconnected again) 2.25
12/27/2003 2:44pm 15 (finally we talked) 2.25
total 9.00

Each call is supose to be $2.25 for a fifteen minute call, then the phone is supose to disconnect. Not as you see it above. With each of the 1 minute connects, they actually rounded up because we really only got out HELLO...
$2.25 just to say hello!

WHAT A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just imagine the possibilities.....hmmmm let me see. If I had approx. 100,000.00 customers, which I must say is a very conservative figure, and I did this with each customer with just one call that would be a gross overcharge profit of $675,000.00 in just one day!!!!! YEAHHHH!!! I want in on this one.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:42 PM
someonethere

That has happened to me too! What a ripoff.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:23 PM
marcus's wife

wow u got lucky I went from a 60 credit line with them to a 15. one, and I only know this because when i called they told me I had a 60 credit with them till october, now I ask how could I ahve anyting with them since my love done only went in on jan 9th but yet it dropped to 15 in december. and my phone has been in my name for 3 years same number direct pay out of my checking and never had a shut off notice,but I can't get that limit raised oh what happened tot he great old days when I would just get a bill for 400 and thought i was doing great?!!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:50 PM

Corretional Billing is a huge scam. They have caused me a lot of grief also. Back in November my boyfriend tried calling me several times, but it wasn't until I received as letter from him that I found out my phone was blocked. I never blocked it. I couldn't figure out why I was receiving collect calls and then all of a sudden I wasn't. I always pay the requested amount on time each month. It wasn't until I took a closer look at my phone bill that I noticed a number for Correctional Billing. They said that the reason that they blocked my phone was because I wasn't calling them every month to make a payment by phone to them. As far as I knew I was paying my phone bill with SBC which included my collect calls. So they blocked my phone and suggested that I call in every month to let them know that money was on the was or advance money to my account. I never ever requested their service in the first place, and if I'm paying for the collect calls every month anyway why do I have to check in with them. They have no right to block my phone as far as I'm concerned. It caused me and my boyfriend a lot of grief which we don't need at a time like this.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,246 Posts

Unfortunately, if Correctional Billing Services is the system that services your boyfriend's prison or jail, you have no choice but to play by their rules. They aren't suggesting that you call them and report every payment - you have to or else they will block you once you reach your "payment verification point" (i.e. credit limit) with them. If they are the system that services his jail or prison, then yes, you have to deal with them in order to get your calls - it doesn't matter what phone company services your home number, it's the fact that CBS services the prison or jail.