Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in the State of Arizona.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:27 PM

Unhappy Husband's release in Arizona: Chances of getting "no-contact order removed?

My husband will be released to Adult Probation next month from Prison, and I would like to know what are the chances of getting a "no-contact" order removed? Or how could we get it removed so that we can "physically" be together, as I am his only means of support?

He has talked to his PO and she has advised him that if he has nowhere to stay, then he could check into a homeless shelter. She also stated that if he has any contact with me, what-so-ever, he will have his probation revoked.

ADOC has allowed us to be in contact these last 3 years and now probation is saying that we can no longer be in contact for the next 3 years. It's stressful, draining, and depressing! He has been able to call me and we have had numerous contact visits and even got married while he was incarcerated.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2018, 02:41 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,481 Times in 16,820 Posts

If that's the PO's stipulation, you'll have to abide by it....at least until / if the PO removes it or he's off probation. Have your husband ask his PO if there is something you can both do to get the no-contact dropped. If the no-contact is due to DV, both of you should have already addressed it through counseling. Maybe that's something that can be done now....only his PO can answer that. Good luck. I know it isn't easy to abide by a no-contact, but right now it will be necessary to follow all the PO's rules.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-22-2018), jdevcres (07-22-2018), xolady (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
If that's the PO's stipulation, you'll have to abide by it....at least until / if the PO removes it or he's off probation. Have your husband ask his PO if there is something you can both do to get the no-contact dropped. If the no-contact is due to DV, both of you should have already addressed it through counseling. Maybe that's something that can be done now....only his PO can answer that. Good luck. I know it isn't easy to abide by a no-contact, but right now it will be necessary to follow all the PO's rules.
I was going to try and call his PO tomorrow to see if there was something that I could do. I was once taken off of his visitation for being the victim and I wrote the warden and he approved of me having contact with him. I hope they are understanding at the probation office.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdevcres For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:52 PM

I would consult an experienced criminal attorney about this matter.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSurprised View Post

I've tried that option, but no information is provided without a fee of course. It's like everyone have their hand in the pot. The pot being the criminal justice system. All attorneys, prisons, judges, and probationers are Finding wealth on an other's anguish.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdevcres For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Do you have Community Legal Services in your city? It is a volunteer organization. Law students and lawyers volunteer there.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:43 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Do you have Community Legal Services in your city? It is a volunteer organization. Law students and lawyers volunteer there.

Yes we have a department at my school, but many don't provide the advice in this area...for "Free"...
Old 07-22-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
For what? It’s not a criminal matter. It’s a condition of probation. There’s pretty compelling reasons for not allowing someone to live with the victim of their crime, and until those reasons are satisfactorily addressed (and they really can’t be satisfactorily addressed) they will need to adhere to that order.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Have your husband ask.
If there’s a no-contact, she shouldn’t be having her husband do anything. No contact generally means no correspondence or even third-party communication.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 PM

Go to Avvo.com you can post a question within Arizona and experienced attorneys will reply. Most of them do a free 30 minute appointment.

Also, how did you get a No contact order so long? They would only done mine 1 year at a time, and I would have to go renew it. From what I understand, it was broken IF i MADE contact with him
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:20 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,481 Times in 16,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
If there’s a no-contact, she shouldn’t be having her husband do anything. No contact generally means no correspondence or even third-party communication.
Where was my head when I suggested she speak with her husband But I believe he's still in prison and allowed contact, even visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Also, how did you get a No contact order so long? They would only done mine 1 year at a time, and I would have to go renew it. From what I understand, it was broken IF i MADE contact with him

If its a restriction placed by the PO, there is no court order to renew.....and with a PO's no-contact: the PO has no control over anyone but the parolee. The OP can pester the liv'n daylights out of her husband, but he cannot respond. Can't talk to her, visit her, meet her for coffee or send 3rd party messages to her.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-22-2018), Ms Sunny (07-23-2018), nimuay (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,843 Times in 11,079 Posts

It is surprisingly common for there to be contact while an abuser is in prison. Perhaps wardens figure there's a sufficiently controlled environment to keep things civil.(?!)

Regardless, a PO can in fact keep you from contacting each other. That's definitely standard procedure.

The only thing I know of is for each of you to take domestic violence counseling (NOT together) and eventually win the approval of your counselors, which they can write down and convey to the PO.
Fridyrr.Likn (07-23-2018), patchouli (07-22-2018), xolady (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Good Morning -
Theres a Community Legal Service in Downtown Phoenix Im not sure what there legal areas are but worth a shot
Address: 305 S 2nd Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85003
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
Phone: (602) 258-3434

This is their contact information hope they can give you guidance
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HisQueen7 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-23-2018), patchouli (07-23-2018), SadSurprised (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Hey, we're all assuming that this is a domestic violence beef that he went down on.....if it isn't, could you please let us know? The approaches change if it's not DV.
Fridyrr.Likn (07-23-2018), xolady (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Incidentally, if they find that he's had contact with you while on parole, they will sling him back in prison so fast his head will spin.
Fridyrr.Likn (07-23-2018), patchouli (07-23-2018), xolady (07-24-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Go to Avvo.com you can post a question within Arizona and experienced attorneys will reply. Most of them do a free 30 minute appointment.

Well it was placed as a condition of his probation after he is released from prison.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Hey, we're all assuming that this is a domestic violence beef that he went down on.....if it isn't, could you please let us know? The approaches change if it's not DV.

Yes it was domestic violence and now he will get out on Intensive Probation. I don't really know much about it.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 AM

Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevcres View Post
Yes it was domestic violence and now he will get out on Intensive Probation. I don't really know much about it.
You'd do well to contact a domestic violence center and find out what you and he can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-26-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 06:24 PM

I'm getting more and more depressed with each call that I make, no one is saying anything good for when he is first out. Everyone is talking about later - no defining what that "later" is, that he can reunify.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 PM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Depression is a whole lot better than being assaulted, frankly. And you need to do exactly what I suggested above - get to a domestic violence center and get counseling. He will have to do his own course of work once he's out. Then get recommendations from the therapists and submit them to the PO.
Sarianna (07-25-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:00 PM

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,860 Posts

I think right now it is best that you wrap your mind around that it is not going to be a quick simple fix. There are good reasons for it. One so you dont get hurt again. Two he doesn't go back again.

Unfortunately, prison is not a simple fix for all you guys have been through. Therapy on both ends is needed.

Personally, I would rather see you guys take the long road and have a healthy relationship, then rush and it turn toxic. Sometimes you have to trust the process.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-26-2018), Sarianna (07-25-2018), Sylph (07-25-2018), uRmylife (07-24-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:08 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,168 Times in 7,706 Posts

Assuming it is a condition of his probation - it is a standard condition. They want a parolee to succeed on parole. As such, they are not going to allow him back into an environment that led him to commit his crime.

To hasten getting him back in your life without risk of him being snapped back into prison, you need to get domestic violence counseling. He needs to get into counseling to address the issues that led him to strike another person, presumably somebody he professes to love. You need to progress showing that you can have contact with each other without a problem. This is done gradually, with the approval of counselors who vouch for the fact that gradually increasing contact is safe.

You want to know how long it takes? It depends on a number of factors - how quickly you both get into individual treatment, how quickly you progress in treatment, the recommendations of your counselors, and the opinion of his parole officer. Again, his parole officer wanted him to succeed. Statistics and experience mean that a parole officer is almost never going to let a person go directly from prison into the household of his victim. You need to deal with it by being as proactive as you can and getting appropriate therapy.

If this is a plenary order of protection that his PO is enforcing (because not breaking the law is a condition of parole and contempt of court for violating a plenary order is a violation of the law), then you need to go through the courts with each step of increased contact approved of by the courts BEFORE you engage in that contact with your abuser. Either that, or you just let the order expire over a period of years once he’s out of prison.

I get that the prison let you have contact and you think that no contact at this point is ridiculous. You need to remember that visitation at prison is monitored with COs standing nearby if there’s trouble. The same cannot be said for the real world. If you get in trouble, help is not readily available. Further, domestic violence statistics suggest that you are apt to be injured even more significantly should the cycle of abuse continue. Nobody wants to find Out that a prior victim has been killed by her abuser, especially when a PO or court allows contact fresh from prison without appropriate therapy or professionals in the field vouching for that contact.

That will be $500
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
nimuay (07-25-2018), Shelby67 (07-26-2018), uRmylife (07-25-2018)