Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Colorado should be posted here.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Default Parole Denied-I just don't understand

I know I have heard it 1000 times "don't expect parole the first time." I didn't think there was any way my husband could be denied. He has done everything expected of him. He was never disciplined the entire time he was in Rifle. He was at the halfway house for 8 months without a single write up (which his PO told him was pretty much impossible). He has been out on ISP for 2 months, hasn't had any problems. He has a job as a production manager, which his employer is talking about promoting him to a general manager. I just don't understand why they would deny him. You do everything you are supposed to do and they still deny you. I'm starting to wonder if they do this on purpose just as another way to f$%k with you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Im so sorry. I know the frustration and it just sucks all the way around. My fiancee has been up for the parole board three times and was denied parole every single time. Hes been write up free and doing everything he's supposed to just to come home. I've learned not get my hopes up cuz they will just get shot down. Now all we can do is play the waiting game and see what happens the next time he sees the parole board.

Hope everything works out for you and your husband. Just hang in there and stay strong.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,865 Times in 17,011 Posts

I'm so sorry I know it hurts Its impossible to figure the rhyme and reason to the Board's decisions...because there isn't any. Have a good cry (I would), pick yourself up and carry on (and yes, I know how hard that is, but I have faith in you). How soon is his next hearing?

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Thank you Angeloswifey and Patchouli. I know it could be worse, he could still be in Rifle, or at the hwh but he is out on ISP and able to live at home. The next hurdle we have, since his parole was denied, is getting his ISP transferred to another county. We own a home in adams county and have been renting it out and living with my parents until he was able to move back. He's currently on ISP in boulder county, his PO put in the transfer request yesterday as soon as he was denied so we are praying he gets accepted to adams county soon, I don't kow what we will do if he doesn't.

Patchouli- He was set back a year, so his next hearing isn't until may of 2015. The only reason they gave was the amount of restitution he owes. I thought the parole board was there to determine if you are a threat to society and to assess your risk for re-offense, not to judge you for what you have already been judged. I just don't see how they can base their decision on the amount he still owes, when he is making every payment required.

Thanks again for your encouragement and support! I know we will get through this.
The Following User Says Thank You to alifedestroyed For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-09-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifedestroyed View Post
Thank you Angeloswifey and Patchouli. I know it could be worse, he could still be in Rifle, or at the hwh but he is out on ISP and able to live at home. The next hurdle we have, since his parole was denied, is getting his ISP transferred to another county. We own a home in adams county and have been renting it out and living with my parents until he was able to move back. He's currently on ISP in boulder county, his PO put in the transfer request yesterday as soon as he was denied so we are praying he gets accepted to adams county soon, I don't kow what we will do if he doesn't.

Patchouli- He was set back a year, so his next hearing isn't until may of 2015. The only reason they gave was the amount of restitution he owes. I thought the parole board was there to determine if you are a threat to society and to assess your risk for re-offense, not to judge you for what you have already been judged. I just don't see how they can base their decision on the amount he still owes, when he is making every payment required.

Thanks again for your encouragement and support! I know we will get through this.
Unfortunately, being on ISP can actually work against an inmate for purposes of discretionary parole. That may sound counterintuitive, but like most things, it all comes to down to money.

The "problem" is that your husband isn't taking up an expensive prison bed, and thus isn't a priority for release. Since they consider every discretionary parole release to be a calculated risk to public safety (regardless of how well they are doing), unfortunately the risk/reward ratio is better for the state if they instead release low-risk inmates that are still housed in facilities. Each release from a facility represents a ~$30,000 annual savings to the state, whereas the release of someone on ISP will only save a few thousand dollars annually. For that reason, they're happy to just leave your husband on ISP until he reaches his MRD - it costs them relatively little and they don't have to take what they perceive to be a risk on giving him discretionary parole.

Last edited by thefish2010; 05-12-2014 at 02:05 AM..
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Blueyes

Parole was told a couple years ago that they had to give reasons for not paroling someone. It can't be "just because"... My man and I are trying (or should I say that I am trying) to get his restitution paid off before he comes before the parole board - or if he gets a chance to go to a HWH. A year is such a long time. But we have to count our blessings and it is a blessing that your husband is able to live at home.