Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:36 AM

Exclamation Contact Visits for Engaged/Married Same-Sex Couples

My fiance is in a Texas state prison. He has put in the required request form for me to be able to have contact visits with him, but because we are not related by blood, and because Texas does not recognize the rights of same-sex couples we do not get these visitations. Not only did he put in the form but he also had his mother write a request, stating that they consider me part of the family and that they would appreciate me getting the same rights as them where visitation is concerned. I have not been able to hold my man's hand in over a year-and-a-half going on two very shortly. I am going out of my mind. On top of all of this we (the family and I) are just under the 400 mile range to where we would get a 4 hour visitation with him (contact and glass). Does anyone know of a cause, petition or Government leader who would be willing to fight for us (Gay/Lesbian couples) to receive what we need in this matter? I can't bear the the thought of going for another 3 to 7 years with out holding my man's hand while we talk on the occasions that I can afford the trip to see him.

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,541 Times in 1,745 Posts

You can try but being that Texas is a REDNECK state so I don't know if it would work. I have only known of one warden who did grant the contact visits for gay couples and that was Warden Smith at the Stiles Unit. He has since left and is now warden at a private prison but he was the only one. Most wardens don't care to have two men or two women kissing in front of children in a visitation room and if they did allow it, I think they'd hear a lot of complaints about it from the families who are visiting that day. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. I wish you luck but I would tell you not to get your hopes us.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
j_lane (08-20-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggiesLady View Post
You can try but being that Texas is a REDNECK state so I don't know if it would work. I have only known of one warden who did grant the contact visits for gay couples and that was Warden Smith at the Stiles Unit. He has since left and is now warden at a private prison but he was the only one. Most wardens don't care to have two men or two women kissing in front of children in a visitation room and if they did allow it, I think they'd hear a lot of complaints about it from the families who are visiting that day. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. I wish you luck but I would tell you not to get your hopes us.
Not only same sex but I wouldn't want diff sex doin that infront of my child
Old 08-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Since we are in Texas, as the others have said, it most likely will never happen. They will only usually allow contact visits with non family members is when no family members can visit. You would probably have had a better chance if you didn't tell them you were a couple. Good luck though. By the way, you and his family would be eligible for visits on Sat and Sun for 4 hours since you live so far away. Getting to see him behind glass is better than not seeing him at all. I did it for 10 years before I married him. It really sucks and I feel bad for you. Hang in there.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

Just wanted to point out that the special visit mileage requirement is 300 miles not 400 miles.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:29 PM
happy healthy & impatient
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,599 Posts

I hear you j_lane! It is blatent discrimination how same sex couples are treated, it's bad enough without TDCJ in your life, and now it's just escalated because of that (your boyfriend in TDCJ).
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be easy for you to try and make this happen. and it probably won't ever happen. The other thing I hate to point out is - if it were allowed, it probably would not be a good idea for your bf to be seen holding hands and kissing another man. Some of the other inmates would have an issue with that and could possibly start harrassing your bf if they knew he was openly gay. Not saying I agree with this mentality(I don't) - but unfortunately it's the way it goes.

November 10, 2012: Maximum date reached

It's over. We made it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piercedkitten83 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (08-15-2010), j_lane (08-20-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 PM

I was going to say the same thing but didn't quite know how to put it. I did ask my husband when he called this morning what he thought and he said H*** no, that would be a really bad idea.

Last edited by luvinhim24/7; 08-14-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_lane View Post
My fiance is in a Texas state prison. He has put in the required request form for me to be able to have contact visits with him, but because we are not related by blood, and because Texas does not recognize the rights of same-sex couples we do not get these visitations. Not only did he put in the form but he also had his mother write a request, stating that they consider me part of the family and that they would appreciate me getting the same rights as them where visitation is concerned. I have not been able to hold my man's hand in over a year-and-a-half going on two very shortly. I am going out of my mind. On top of all of this we (the family and I) are just under the 400 mile range to where we would get a 4 hour visitation with him (contact and glass). Does anyone know of a cause, petition or Government leader who would be willing to fight for us (Gay/Lesbian couples) to receive what we need in this matter? I can't bear the the thought of going for another 3 to 7 years with out holding my man's hand while we talk on the occasions that I can afford the trip to see him.

Please help!
I thought it was 300 miles???
The Following User Says Thank You to eduardo.vasquez For This Useful Post:
j_lane (08-20-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 08:21 PM

If you live 300 miles or more away from the unit you can get a 4 hour visit on both sat and sun, but it has to be approved in advance with the warden. Don't just assume you will get it when you get there. Even for a 4 hour visit, you have to call the beginning of the week to request them. If you don't call in advance for either you will only get a 2 hour visit. And when you call you need to tell them who is going to visit, everyone, or you will only get a 2 hour visit unless that person doesn't go in. I have seen this happen many, many times. At least this has happened at my husbands unit, but i'm pretty sure it's probably the same at all of them. I've seen many upset people. I get the two day visits every month. since 400 miles is more than 300 I thought it went without saying that he was eligible for it . I was just trying to give him information that he may not have known. It took a while for anyone to tell us we could get the two day visits. They don't advertise that when you call the unit. I was reading the visitation handbook after we had been visiting for about 6 months. This was 10 years ago and the warden at the time didn't like to approve them. I respectfully quoteed the handbook and have never had a problem since.

Last edited by luvinhim24/7; 08-14-2010 at 08:24 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to luvinhim24/7 For This Useful Post:
j_lane (08-20-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 AM
BUG from around the way..
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,319 Times in 1,650 Posts

Does this really surprise anyone? Texas doesn't support rights for gay couples in the free world why would they give a crap about the rights of a gay inmate?

It's not fair but it's no shock either.
j_lane (08-20-2010), Mike1963 (08-15-2010), piercedkitten83 (08-15-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedkitten83 View Post
I hear you j_lane! It is blatent discrimination how same sex couples are treated, it's bad enough without TDCJ in your life, and now it's just escalated because of that (your boyfriend in TDCJ).
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be easy for you to try and make this happen. and it probably won't ever happen. The other thing I hate to point out is - if it were allowed, it probably would not be a good idea for your bf to be seen holding hands and kissing another man. Some of the other inmates would have an issue with that and could possibly start harrassing your bf if they knew he was openly gay. Not saying I agree with this mentality(I don't) - but unfortunately it's the way it goes.

Thank you for the information. He is already openly gay at his unit. In fact the majority of the inmates at this particular unit are openly gay. I hope and pray that with the California Proposition headed to the Supreme Court that it will be a Country wide acceptance for Same-Sex couples and therefore be required for the prison system as well.

**Note to all other replys: Thank you for your helpful advice. I was aware that it was 300 miles, I just fat fingered the keys at 4am LoL! I hope for everyone in my situation that this changes sometime in the future, whether that be near or far I don't know.**
The Following User Says Thank You to j_lane For This Useful Post:
piercedkitten83 (08-18-2010)