Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Head over heals

Default Old Folsom Prison locked down after fatal stabbing

The violence continues.... My prayers go out to the families of both of the inmates involved. i saddens me that graduation was canceled for the inmates who finished coursework due to this.
Old Folsom Prison locked down after fatal stabbing
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 07/09/2007 05:58:34 PM PDT

FOLSOM, Calif.—Folsom State Prison was locked down Monday following the fatal stabbing of a 36-year-old inmate from San Diego. The victim was stabbed several times with a flat piece of metal during a fight early Monday morning in the prison's main yard. He died about 15 minutes later, according to Cheryl Campoy, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
Campoy said the attacker was also injured by guards who used pepper spray and batons in an attempt to stop the fight, but his injuries were not life threatening.
Authorities did not release the names of either man. The victim was serving a 15-year-to-life sentence for second-degree murder. His attacker, a 46-year-old inmate from Placer County, is serving a life sentence for murder, carjacking and kidnapping.
Because of the lock down, prison authorities canceled a graduation ceremony scheduled for Tuesday morning for inmates who had completed academic and vocational training programs.
During a lock down, visitors are not allowed and prisoners may only leave their cells to eat, go to medical care or other appointments.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6335606

He's finally Home! 18 months and counting.....

Last edited by Maggie12; 07-09-2007 at 08:01 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Strong Heart, Smart Mind

My Heart Goes Out To The Family And Friends Of Both Who Are Involved ...

The most unimaginable feelings!
The most unbelievable love!
I have found within you!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

This is what happens when you hand out life sentences with no end date. They don't care anymore what happens to them. They know California's parole board and Governor will never let them out.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Donation Award 

So sad, more families devastated...again. I agree Morris1. What incentive is there for them?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Tea Party Member

Morris1...so sad to say you are very right....when there is no hope, there is little care of what happens....
what upsets me is that the cdcr will use this to their advantage regardless that thier and the govs policies are the cause of such depression and loss of hope....
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Donation Award 

While I think you are all right, I also feel obliged to point out that there really are 2 classes of Lifers--there are the ones who have given up hope of ever getting out thus don't care about the consequences for their actions. And then there are the Lifers who have hope and optimism for an eventual release, thus know they cannot get into even the tiniest bit of trouble. I know many Lifers personally who have never had a single disciplenary write up, never been in a fight, never been in a bit of trouble, and have files full of praise and laudatory comments from staff. They know that without that kind of lifestyle their chances of being found suitable for parole will disappear completely. The fact that these guys can remain hopeful and positive after so much never ceases to amaze me. I doubt I would be able to do it in their situation.

So while I think you are all right that there are many lifers who have no hope or incentives to walk the straight and narrow, there are a lot who are actually the exact opposite. This news story is awful and tragic, but the guy involved certainly does not represent all with his same sentence.

Last edited by JMK; 07-12-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Donation Award 

Good Point.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Head over heals

Thanks for pointing that out JMK. unfortunately we never read stories of the reformed lifer in newspapers, they always seem to focus on the negative in the press. I am with you, i dont think i could maintain optimism for 20 or 30 or more years that maybe someday i would be released....that is amazing strength and character and i commend those who can do so well, especially given the dreadful conditions they are in.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Well my friends husband got 7yrs to life and it's been 23yrs and he is still in. He is programmed, does not get into trouble and every time he goes to the board they extend it another 3yrs.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Donation Award 

That just doesn't make any sense to me. If they are going to sentence someone with the 7 year base, it tells me that they don't think this person really needs to be in beyond the 7 years. What a stupid, stupid system.

Hopefully some changes will occur soon that changes things. I sure hope so. There is a lawsuit coming soon that TIPs is filing on behalf of the lifers and the parole hearings. Maybe things will get shaken up. Every part of the prison system is being exposed at this time. Let's pray for change.....
Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Tea Party Member

yes JMK your are very right, I also believe that the hope comes from the families and the mens loves ones...even thoough my husband is a lifer we have a lot of hope....sometimes I don't know how but we do....I believe I help keep him strong and he keeps me strong....

monkeyseesall...that really does scare me becaue my husband recieved the same sentence.....and he has 15 years in and has had two hearings and we just postponed one so it is comming up again next year...they always deny him two years....on the crime...not fair....
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Head over heals

good luck to you both. its never easy being the loved on of someone behind bars, but with no certain end to it, my hats off to you guys. good luck and i wish you and your loved ones the best. as morris said, right now things are being brought to light in cdcr. we can only hope that one of the first things to change is how the parole system is run. statistically those paroled from life sentences are the least likely to reoffend. i mean like 1% recidivism vs the 70% rate of other offenders. it is crazy to keep denying parole to those who have paid the price and some. good luck to you both.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Donation Award 

You know, if they would let my brother out we'd have lots of good stories for the newspapers to report on!!! There's no doubt in mind that he will do extraordinary things when he's free. He's 17 years in to a 15-to-life sentence, and has gotten I think 4 1-year denials in a row. Everytime it's the same old story--you're doing great, you're doing everything right, you just haven't served enough time. It's beyond ridiculous. We're still reeling from the last one a couple weeks ago. I don't know how any of us remain hopeful, but we do because there is simply no other option. He will have his day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie12
Thanks for pointing that out JMK. unfortunately we never read stories of the reformed lifer in newspapers, they always seem to focus on the negative in the press. I am with you, i dont think i could maintain optimism for 20 or 30 or more years that maybe someday i would be released....that is amazing strength and character and i commend those who can do so well, especially given the dreadful conditions they are in.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Head over heals

i certainly hope so. im sorry he was denied a few weeks ago. the point of the parole board is to assess when an inmate has been doing g all the right things and is no longer a danger. if he can spend 17 years doing nothing but good, in my mind, hes a better person than i am. i slip up more often than that! and like morris said, if they feel he needs to do more time, why did they set the 15 years in his sentence? ??????? i just dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK
You know, if they would let my brother out we'd have lots of good stories for the newspapers to report on!!! There's no doubt in mind that he will do extraordinary things when he's free. He's 17 years in to a 15-to-life sentence, and has gotten I think 4 1-year denials in a row. Everytime it's the same old story--you're doing great, you're doing everything right, you just haven't served enough time. It's beyond ridiculous. We're still reeling from the last one a couple weeks ago. I don't know how any of us remain hopeful, but we do because there is simply no other option. He will have his day.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Donation Award 

So sorry for all of you that are having to go through this parole hearing system. I agree with Morris1 also. If they thought they should serve 7 yrs or 10 or even 20...once that's done, and they haven't had issues during that time, let them out! Stupid system. Hats off to all of the families that hang in there for their loved ones and for all of the men and women who can keep it together inside under that kind of sentencing.