Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:50 PM

I am heading to tent city for 45 days in mid September. My biggest concern is transportation because my license is suspended and I'm not driving. Does anyone know anything about how the buses run? I found the route but I'm not sure how close the bus stop is to the tents. I also read another post about turning your badge into a box 2 hours before you are released for work release. So if I'm out at 7am I need to wake up at 5am and put my badge in the box? It seems like there is so much to remember while getting processed and I don't want to miss anything and get screwed! Most information I have found on this forum has been very helpful so far, keep it coming!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

First about the buses. There are two bus stops that are close to the tents. One is at the corner of Gibson and 35th Ave and the other I believe is on 27th Ave. It's about a half mile walk to either one. Best thing for you to do would be to get a transit book and do some research. I still have my DL, so I haven't paid much attention to the buses.

And yeah, you need to have your ID turned in 90 minutes before your release time. So if 7am is the time you are suppose to leave, your card needs to be in the box no later than 5:30am. If you miss it, then you'll have to wait until atleast 8am to leave.

My 45 days ends tonight. Don't worry, it'll go by relatively fast. The weekdays fly by and the weekends drag.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanky86 View Post
First about the buses. There are two bus stops that are close to the tents. One is at the corner of Gibson and 35th Ave and the other I believe is on 27th Ave. It's about a half mile walk to either one. Best thing for you to do would be to get a transit book and do some research. I still have my DL, so I haven't paid much attention to the buses.

And yeah, you need to have your ID turned in 90 minutes before your release time. So if 7am is the time you are suppose to leave, your card needs to be in the box no later than 5:30am. If you miss it, then you'll have to wait until atleast 8am to leave.

My 45 days ends tonight. Don't worry, it'll go by relatively fast. The weekdays fly by and the weekends drag.

Congrats on getting through it! Do they explain everything fairly well to you when you are getting processed about all the procedures as far as coming and going, the head counts, what is and isn't allowed, and so forth? I have never had to deal with this and I'm sure I'm making it worse in my head than it really is. Do they let you play cards or can I bring a journal? Is it really only paperback books or can you have a hardcover? Sorry these are dumb questions but I just want to be prepared. I also don't eat any meat except chicken or turkey and I know the food is absolutely disgusting. I've read that I can ask for a special diet but do they only do that for religious purposes? What is the cost for food and basic necessities out of the vending machines?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 AM

Depends on the D.O. who brings you in. Some explain things more than others. More than likely, you'll just learn from the other inmates. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Headcounts are simple. The D.O.'s will announce it over the PA. Once they do so "get to your tent, get on your bunk with your ID ready. Clear the commissary, get out of the bathrooms. We're on ID headcount." The D.O. will walk through the tent and mark you off on a piece of paper if you're where you're suppose to be. It's real easy. Just stay in your tent until the call the headcount "clear".

Must be a paperback book. They won't let you bring in hardbacks at all. As far as a notebook goes, it depends on the D.O. Some will throw them away when they search you and others won't. I wouldn't even bother with one.

Playing cards are sold in the commissary and most inmates have a deck of cards. The game of choice is "Swiss". It's pretty fun and kills lots of time. If a group is playing a game in your tent, try to join in.

I don't know about the special diet. But, the Ladmo bag has 2 rolls, 2 or 3 oranges/plums (one or the other, not both), a pack of cookies and Emu meat. Skip the meat and eat the rest. The dinner tray ("Slop"; Contains some kind of meat) is usually the main course of crap, applesauce or grapes, carrots, a roll, and spinach.

Commissary has (from what i can remember): RC Cola (diet, regular, cherry), Squirt, and other sodas ($1.50), Lunchables (turkey or ham)($2.50), ham and cheese sandwiches ($2.50), bagels with cream cheese ($1.50), Chili ($1.50), Summer sausages ($2.50), Chips (different throughout the week; $.75), Corn Nuts (.$60), and Jalepeno Cheese Spread ($.60).

Then in another vending machine in the commissary: Soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush/toothpaste, razors, shaving cream, lotion, advil, Halls, mosquito repellant, etc.

Try to eat before you come in during your week and eat what you can during the weekend.

There are showers (not very private) if you feel the need to clean up.

Really there is NOTHING to be nervous about. Just understand you'll be very bored and the weather isn't all that great right now. In September it'll be a little bit better though.

You will have to buy atleast a bottle of water or soda from the commissary. The water they give you come from 2 55 gallon barrells and they do not give you a cup to drink from. So, right when you get into the tents, make sure the commissary is open and get in there and buy something (you will be thirsty and hungry after being processed in).

By the way I just did my process out. It sucked. I was in the holding tank for 7 1/2 hours. No sleep and no food or water with little room to move around. There were about 30 people in the tank at one point.

If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 PM

Thank you so much for all the info, you are amazing! I do have one more question at the moment. I know I can't have my ipod in the tents but can I keep it somewhere until I am released for work? The bus ride is gonna be loooong with no music.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Nope. They don't give you anywhere to put stuff. You'll just have to leave the Ipod at home.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:12 AM

Default clothes

hi, I would like to know which clothes are you allowed to wear in tent city?
thx
Old 09-05-2010, 03:51 AM

Tent City Con-Tents: Anything you want really. No tanktops or open-toed shoes.

N-Yard: Arpaio's infamous Stripes and pink underwear.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 PM

I just got done with my 24 hours and let me tell you it sucked !!!!

First i sat in a holding cell at LBJ from 7 in the morning until about 2:30 . There was like about 25 of us in a small holding cell the whole time . It got so bad it was hard to get air . Most of the people were ok though . Everyone was kinda funny . The detension officers were very mean though .

From there they put about 16 of us in a bus with no air or windows to transport us to Estrella . It must have been about 120 degrees in the bus but the driver drove fast so it only took like 5 minutes to get there . We sat in a holding cage for about an hour which was nice because it was kinda open and we had cold air and a place to sit . But then they came in with a bunch of women and they stuck us in a very small holding cell for about another half hour until they came to get us for the tents . DO NOT TALK CRAP TO THE GUARDS !!! one guy in my group did and they almost put us all back in that small cell .

Finally got to the tents around 5 in the afternoon . The tents were the best part . you had food and cold water . My bunk was not nasty and the mattress was clean . If you smoke you can get them for 2 bucks but i did not want to risk getting caught and having to do more time then my 24 hours so i would not suggest doing it . I had a top bunk which was really bad because you dont get any air flow . Once the sun went down it was not that bad though . Watch out for the mice running around . I did not see any other bugs though. Also watch out in the bathroom because the floor is coverd in piss so wash the bottom of your shoes after going in there .

They called us out at about 10 that night to go back to estrella so i was only in the tents about 5 hours . sat in estrella about 45 mintues until getting on a bus back to LBJ . Sat in a kinda large holding tank until about 2:30 in the morning . Then they called some of us out and took our Fingerprints again and moved us into a VERY SMALL holding cell to waqit to get released . There was about 35 of us in this very , very , very , tiny cell with no air . I was almost at my breaking point when they openend the door and called my name first and then about 10 others . It was 4 in the morning and they let us out . I guess i am very lucky because i got out 3 hours early !! so that can happen !!! .

Over all it was not something i would want to do ever again . I read the post on this thread before going in and it helped me a little so i thought i would share . Just keep to yourself and make sure no one in your group says anything to piss off the officers and you will be fine . Bring a book and BRING TOWELS because my ass still hurts from sitting on that damn floor with no padding .

Good luck
Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM

You guys/gals all rock! We all f/up. I just did AGAIN. .14 in 1999 and a .2 something last week. At least it's over 7 years so it doesn't count as a second DUI. My question is this...did any of you get (or talk to someone who got) a lawer and did it change anything for the better?
Do you need one to get work release? I was also hoping for "house arrest" for some of my time. But those dudes are expensive!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrdr1 View Post
You guys/gals all rock! We all f/up. I just did AGAIN. .14 in 1999 and a .2 something last week. At least it's over 7 years so it doesn't count as a second DUI. My question is this...did any of you get (or talk to someone who got) a lawer and did it change anything for the better?
Do you need one to get work release? I was also hoping for "house arrest" for some of my time. But those dudes are expensive!

Well my friend sounds to me like you got an extreme or super extreme d.u.i and in that case getting a lawyer would just be a waste of time . My brother had an extreme d.u.i and got a lawyer and the lawyer did not do a thing for him . He still had to do jail time and pay some huge fines and drug/booze classes .

I just suggest going to court and see what they offer you . You will most likley get a few months in tent city . Any time you spend there more then 6 days you get work release so dont worrie about that . Just make sure you tell the judge you have a job and he will give it to you . you will have to do at least 48 hours with out going anywhere though so be prepared to sit around for awhile . You also get to pick the date you go to jail so go in a couple months when the weather is better cause tent city is freaking hot right now dude .

good luck !! have a beer : )
The Following User Says Thank You to hornhonker82 For This Useful Post:
harleyrdr1 (02-21-2011)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Don't bother paying for a lawyer. I did and now I'm also paying for that mistake as well as my fines.

If anything look into a public defender. That's the route some of the folks I was in there with did and they ended up with similar sentences as mine.

Basically, the law is the law and the judge won't give you a lesser sentence than the minimum (along with some other things, depending on city and the judges mood that day apparently). For your super extreme you're looking at 45 days in tent city with work release. I got popped for a .225 and that's what they gave me. You may have a chance of getting house arrest, but that all depends on the city you live in. I live in a city that does not offer work release, so I had to do all of my time in the tents. If your city does in fact offer home detention, you'll usually do 15 days in the tents and the rest of your sentence at home.

Make sure you tell the judge you work 5 days a week. Anything less than that and you'll have to do more full days in the tents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swanky86 For This Useful Post:
harleyrdr1 (02-21-2011)
Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 AM

Need ur help. How does work release work when u are a salesman who travels around the city and state? Any idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwallker View Post
I did a 24 hour stint in the tents. It was in November a few years ago. I froze my ass off. Now it’s a shitty place, im not going to kid you. I’m going to tell you just what I know. Food sucks there. But you have access to candy machines ( owned by Sheriff Joes brother…hmmm) anyway. If he smokes tell him to quit and not smoke AT ALL IN THERE, here is why, some guys found a pack of smokes and where sharing them around a bit, I smoke but it seemed way to convenient, I passed' ( if you smoke and get caught you get another 60days) well the smokes where a set up as we all got told to line up and this guard comes down and shines a black light on our faces and you guessed it, the guys that smoked had a yellowish tint on their lips. I did not see this first hand, just saw then being lead out.
On the up side he will more then likely get a work furlough program and be permitted to be out of the tents 5 days a week to work. ( the judge can set this beforehand) that is a good deal as you can eat, get to see your loved ones ( limited) but the shitty part is you bed down at night in the tent. That is all that I know of. The guards are assholes in that place ( the ones I met anyway) I had $62 on me when I went in and when I asked for a receipt I was told to shut the f**k up and get back in line. My prayers to your friend. He’ll do fine if he shuts his mouth and plays along.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Never give up on FAMILY!!

You are not human when you are in their custody.
Its rediculous.
I had maggots in my food. glad i only did a day
Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Default Lawyers, what a waste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhonker82 View Post
Well my friend sounds to me like you got an extreme or super extreme d.u.i and in that case getting a lawyer would just be a waste of time .
good luck !! have a beer : )
Thanks man. Sorry for the long time to reply. I did get a lawyer and that was $3500 for nothing. My DUI was the next level up from super extreme whenever they invent it. Super-Duper Extreme maybe? I was at .332 BAC. They gave me 50 days, but I lucked out so 15 tents and the rest house arrest. Anyway I changed my date so don't go in for another two weeks. Hope all this crap weather will be overwith.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Going back

Just got my sentence for .162. 30 days total, 15 in the tents the rest at home, $5,000 in fines, jail fees and other crap.

Tents suck, been there - done that. Soooooo not looking forward to it. I agree with most of the posters, worst thing are the tiny little holding cells they put you in. Fawking horrible. Always a ton of guys in a tiny ass room with no air and nothing to do. Psychological torture. Makes you feel so bad for some folks in prison.

Anyway, try NOT to do your time in the summer. I barely ever slept. Too dang hot.

Best wishes to everyone going in. Let's keep our chins up and get through it. Can't fight it.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrdr1 View Post
Thanks man. Sorry for the long time to reply. I did get a lawyer and that was $3500 for nothing. My DUI was the next level up from super extreme whenever they invent it. Super-Duper Extreme maybe? I was at .332 BAC. They gave me 50 days, but I lucked out so 15 tents and the rest house arrest. Anyway I changed my date so don't go in for another two weeks. Hope all this crap weather will be overwith.
I wonder if you can answer some questions for me.....
I have to do 90 days work release. Can you tell me where people go who will be picking you up in the morning? Im also trying to get 6 days work release because of my job we work monday through saturday. Is it possible to get the 6th day? Ive read there are people who get out 6 days. Also house arrest, can you tell me how you were able to get house arrest? And for the book/towel/extra clothes, can I bring that in for the first 48 hours? Any help would be really appreciated. Obviously this is my first time in this type of trouble. My sentencing is June 20th.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Answers and Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXKID View Post
I have to do 90 days work release. Can you tell me where people go who will be picking you up in the morning? Im also trying to get 6 days work release because of my job we work monday through saturday. Is it possible to get the 6th day? Ive read there are people who get out 6 days. Also house arrest, can you tell me how you were able to get house arrest? And for the book/towel/extra clothes, can I bring that in for the first 48 hours? Any help would be really appreciated. Obviously this is my first time in this type of trouble. My sentencing is June 20th.
First, don't panic about tent city because it really isn't that big of a deal! Just a huge inconvenience to your daily life. Go into it with the mindset that it is an assignment you've been put on to evaluate the experience or some kind of an adventure.

I got out of the tents March 20, 2011 so my input is VERY recent. I'll answer your first question last.

So, with your sentence I'm assuming an Aggravated DUI or something else. I have no experience with that so my answers are from my experience with an extreme DUI 1st offence. I got 50 days. (15 work release and the rest house arrest) You can ask the judge for 6 days work release but I don't know if you will get it. I also read that you can get even 7 if you ask. My lawyer told me he's never seen it happen. I never saw anyone with that sentence but I suppose it can't hurt to ask. If you do, you will probably be asked to provide proof from your employer so bring it to court if you have it.

You also need to ask the judge for House Arrest. Since this is your first offence you'll probably get it depending on what you are going in for.

Yes you can bring the two towels (bath not beach), a softcover book (no nudies obviously). Bring quarters ($20 in rolls from the bank not home rolled) and 20 singles. (No more than $40!) Bring one of those headband camping flashlights. Get the kind that includes the red lights along with the white light. Also bring a small alarm clock. I brought the one that Walmart has that looks like a cellphone. Greater detail as to why on all of this to come in another post.

Fir your first question...
I have posted three maps in my (harleyrdr1) gallery on here. I'll be detailing a LOT of info about them in an up coming post. In short to answer your question, you go into the jail as shown by the STAR in the "Jail_Compound map" pic. You'll be released for work where the TRIANGLE is. The day you go in, park your car in the dirt lot (see "tent_city_layout" pic) near the tent entrance and have someone give you a ride around to the entrance STAR. The blue line is the walking route if you have to walk. There is no shortcut unless you plan to swim the canal.

Check future posts from me, as I said I have a LOT of info and plan to post it all soon.

Regards
Harleyrdr1
Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
You can bring in all of that stuff your first weekend expect the extra clothes. Depending on the day and the D.O., extra clothes are not allowed. I was able to bring them in probably 75% of the time and all the other times I had to run back to my car and leave them there. So, be ready to wear the same stuff for a whole weekend. And you will want all of that stuff with you when you're getting processed in anyway. I used my towels as a seat cusion and I read a good chunk of my book in that time.

I knew a few people that got a 6th day of work release just by asking the judge. You'll probably have to prove that you work 6 days a week and I would try telling the judge that you would lose your job if you're not there all 6 days.

They do not offer house arrest in every city. I wasn't able to get it because my city doesn't offer it. So, I would start looking into the house arrest companies and see if they will go to where you live (google is your friend). Honestly, I wouldn't even want to deal with house arrest. It's expensive and you up your odds of screwing up if you're at home.

It's been almost a year since I did my time in the tents. I did 45 days with work release down there last summer. Just keep yourself occupied while you're in there and it won't be that bad. The worst part was the heat and the smell.

Last edited by Swanky86; 05-21-2011 at 10:47 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Swanky86 For This Useful Post:
PHXKID (05-21-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanky86 View Post
You can bring in all of that stuff your first weekend expect the extra clothes. Depending on the day and the D.O., extra clothes are not allowed.
You know that probably is the case as Swanky put it. They can change the rules however and whenever they wish. One person gets in with a hoodie and the next they snip the hood off. The people that checked my group in didn't care if you had extra clothes "ON". You couldn't have them in a bag with the towels. I had longjohn pants on under my sweat pants. A t-shirt under a long sleeved t-shirt and my military field jacket. The hood was stowed if you are familiar with how they work. I recieved one warning. "If we see the hood out we will cut it off." I told the DO (Detention Officer) "Don't worry, you won't see this hood. I've had this jacket too long to ruin it." He smiled and let me be, and I never got hassled after that.

You take your chances with whatever you bring in. So don't bring something you are not prepared to have ruined. WalMart is your friend. =)
Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Default Btw - this is important!!!

I've not seen this mentioned here or anywhere else for that matter....

If you have someone pick you up or drop you off at the tents make damned sure they are stone sober, and all of the vehicle paperwork is up to snuff. They pick random days and stop ANY AND ALL cars picking up or dropping off and check everything. Licence, registration, insurance, etc. Doesn't matter if you are the incarcerated person or not. Another of Sheriff Joe's "I can break the constitution because I'M THE SHERIFF" crap. Damn I can't wait till he's gone.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Default thank you

Thank you for the heads up. I'm actually going in on a theft charge that happened 2 and a half years ago. Something stupid I did when times got scary for my family. No gun used nothing violent and I have no prior record at all. Its something I'm owning up to but I have to say this web site and the people on it has eased my mind a lot as much as ones could be going to tent city. I also agree Arpaio needs to go. I get tough on crime but what he does is inhumane and goes beyond peoples constitutional rights. Thank you all for the heads up and advice.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Quick question. I will be on work furlough and I was wondering for anyone else that was on furlough (not work release) can you go home at all? If I take a vacation day from work or my office is closed that day can I go home and then be back at the time im suppose to return to the tents? Do they check up on you? Any help would be appreciated. Just trying to break up my 90 days of hell with some time with my family.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Quick question. I will be on work furlough and I was wondering for anyone else that was on furlough (not work release) can you go home at all? If I take a vacation day from work or my office is closed that day can I go home and then be back at the time im suppose to return to the tents? Do they check up on you? Any help would be appreciated. Just trying to break up my 90 days of hell with some time with my family.
As you know I was on Work Release but I do know that you are not "supposed" to go anywhere but to work and back if on Furlough. Your new home is the jail. As I understand they do watch and keep track of where you are somehow. If you plan to try and trick the system I'd weigh the penalties first. My guess is that the will stick you in N-Yard for the duration of your sentence if you get caught. Depending on your employer I'd say you could lose your job.

Perhaps someone who has Furlough experience could weigh in here? If not I can contact a friend of mine and find out from him. Reply to this post if you don't get a confirmed answer and I'll find out for you.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 PM

If you could find out Id appreciate it. I go in Monday and I don't know if Ill get a response. I agree the alternative is a bit worrysome to me. But id hate to not see my family for that long. If you could ask your friend id appreciate it.