Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,868 Times in 750 Posts
Default Sen. Booker Testifies Against Sen. Sessions (re: Criminal Justice Reform)

Quote:
Washington (CNN) - New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker gave an impassioned and unprecedented plea to the Senate on Wednesday to vote against Donald Trump's nominee for attorney general and his fellow senator, Jeff Sessions.
FULL ARTICLE: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politi...jeff-sessions/

You can watch the short 8-minute CSPAN segment of his testimony here:

"His record indicates that as Attorney General, he would object to the growing national bipartisan movement towards criminal justice reform."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-08-2017), patchouli (01-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
FULL ARTICLE: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politi...jeff-sessions/

You can watch the short 8-minute CSPAN segment of his testimony here:

"His record indicates that as Attorney General, he would object to the growing national bipartisan movement towards criminal justice reform."
Sessions will be confirmed.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub View Post
Sessions will be confirmed.
That is my assumption as well.

Which is why the ACLU is gearing up for a Battle Royale in the courts pretty soon.

So hopefully he won't be able to do very much damage.
patchouli (01-11-2017), SusanR610 (01-12-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is my assumption as well.

Which is why the ACLU is gearing up for a Battle Royale in the courts pretty soon.

So hopefully he won't be able to do very much damage.
What I expect he will do is enforce federal drug laws in states that have legalized marijuana for casual use.

I also expect him to be more aggressive in federal death penalty matters.

If trump gets the 3-4 potential SCOTUS appointments then the ACLU will slide into irellevance.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:00 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,772 Times in 13,413 Posts

I try to stay out of politics here. I try, I really try......and I hope above all hope that this is not the world we're heading back to:

Trump will not be president long enough to appoint 3-4 Judges for the SCOTUS. The ACLU will NEVER be irrelevant

I will not comment in thread any further.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GaReform (01-11-2017), gvalliant (01-12-2017), TawnyStar (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I try to stay out of politics here. I try, I really try......and I hope above all hope that this is not the world we're heading back to:

Trump will not be president long enough to appoint 3-4 Judges for the SCOTUS. The ACLU will NEVER be irrelevant

I will not comment in thread any further.
The ACLU long ago became more of a political and less of a legal advocacy group. A modified court would make them irellevant as a legal group. Perhaps it will retain some relevance as a political group.

Trump will have one appointment on first day. Two more justices are over 80. Very possible to have 3 in first year. That could include most liberal member and swing vote.

An unexpected death or retirement very well could make it 4 before midterm elections.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,469 Posts

I certainly don't see RBG retiring during this incoming administration. She'll be around for a while.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
I certainly don't see RBG retiring during this incoming administration. She'll be around for a while.
At 83 now (87 by end of trumps term) what makes you so sure? Didn't she have to end a few days early because of fatigue over past few years.

Retirement isn't the only way for a spot to come open.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
At 83 now (87 by end of trumps term) what makes you so sure? Didn't she have to end a few days early because of fatigue over past few years.

Retirement isn't the only way for a spot to come open.
I know that.

And lots of people live beyond 80, 87, 90 and up. As long as her mind is good she'll be around.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
I know that.

And lots of people live beyond 80, 87, 90 and up. As long as her mind is good she'll be around.
Of course she could. But she could die in the next six months and few would be stunned.

I don't think you can say with any degree of certainty that RBG or Kennedy will last through next four years.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,772 Times in 13,413 Posts

I lied, one last comment:

...and no one can say with any certainty that trump will be president the next four years

Kudos to Booker for speaking his mind
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (02-12-2017), GaReform (01-11-2017), junies01985 (02-08-2017), TawnyStar (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

...and no one can say with any certainty that trump will be president the next four years

Absolutely correct. However I doubt you can name a reasonable scenario that would result in a Democrat moving back into the White House in less than 4 years.

Any nomination by Pence would be similar to one by Trump.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 AM
Donation Award 

Wink

Quote:
Any nomination by Pence would be similar to one by Trump.
Just keep in mind Cdub, even though the Democrats weakened the filibuster rule for most matters in the Senate (which I think was a big mistake), it still takes 60 votes to confirm a SCOTUS nominee.

The Republicans only have 52 seats right now, not enough for a clear supermajority to speed things through. It's still going to take at least 8 Democrats (or Independents) to confirm any of Trump's Supreme Court nominees. So if they are too extreme, it could be a tough sell.

Of course, the Republicans could try to go the full nuclear option and get rid of the 60-vote threshold altogether, but they may not like that prospect very much as soon as the Democrats re-take the Senate by a bare slim majority, which could happen as soon as 2020 if they aren't careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,747 Times in 10,119 Posts

I can't see any of these hearings resulting in anything but 100% confirmations. I hope you are wrong in your predictions about what Session's priorities will be, the legal/medical marijuana issue will be difficult to put back in the bottle, but zealots in power can do a lot of damage. Maybe he will follow Ashcroft's mandate to put bras on all of the scales of justice, while eroding justice even further. We shall see.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just keep in mind Cdub, even though the Democrats weakened the filibuster rule for most matters in the Senate (which I think was a big mistake), it still takes 60 votes to confirm a SCOTUS nominee.

The Republicans only have 52 seats right now, not enough for a clear supermajority to speed things through. It's still going to take at least 8 Democrats (or Independents) to confirm any of Trump's Supreme Court nominees. So if they are too extreme, it could be a tough sell.

Of course, the Republicans could try to go the full nuclear option and get rid of the 60-vote threshold altogether, but they may not like that prospect very much as soon as the Democrats re-take the Senate by a bare slim majority, which could happen as soon as 2020 if they aren't careful.
The only matters that don't require 60 votes are presidential appointments other than to SCOTUS. That means the Dems can't filibuster Sessions.

It will be a tough sell, but it won't be as difficult as you expect to confirm someone if Trump nominates a sitting federal judge. Several Dem Senators have indicated they won't try to block most sitting federal judges.

Here are the eight Dem Senators I expect will vote for a Trump SCOTUS nominee:
Nelson, Fla.
Donnelly, Ind.
Tester, Mont.
Warner, Va.
Kane, Va.
Manchin, W.V.
Bennett, Col.
McCaskill, Missouri

If Trump vets well, he will be able to find a sitting judge with a record these, and a few other, Dems can accept. But this person will also have views more in line with what Trump wants.

Historically, few judges ever move towards the center after being appointed to SCOTUS.

Judges at all levels below SCOTUS tend to use moderation in decisions knowing that some higher court can reverse them, and judges really hate to be reversed.

At SCOTUS, justices now they can't be reversed by a higher court, and so that moderation goes away.

One think I agree with is that Dems will regret weakening the filibuster rules. I have always thought that one party should not try to expand its power while in power, unless it can accept the other party enjoying that some power when the votes change. And they always change.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I can't see any of these hearings resulting in anything but 100% confirmations. I hope you are wrong in your predictions about what Session's priorities will be, the legal/medical marijuana issue will be difficult to put back in the bottle, but zealots in power can do a lot of damage. Maybe he will follow Ashcroft's mandate to put bras on all of the scales of justice, while eroding justice even further. We shall see.
FWIW, I was talking more of recreation marijuana use. I expect you will see DOJ enforce federal laws on the drug, even in states that have legalized its recreational use.

As for the federal death penalty, I think we will know quickly. I understand that up to seven people on federal death row could be eligible for execution warrants by the end of 2017. We will see quickly if he pursues an actual execution.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,747 Times in 10,119 Posts

Yes we definitely will see on both issues, and on a few more too.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Donation Award 

Oh, sweet child of mine:

Quote:
Black Caucus members storm Senate floor to protest Sessions
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bl...rticle/2614268

Mr. Sessions may survive confirmation, but not without being battered and bruised...

Mr. Trump is having kind of a rough time getting his key players into place, isn't he? In fact, never in American history has there been so much stonewalling this many days into a new presidency.

I wonder why that is?
fbopnomore (02-08-2017), patchouli (02-08-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Oh yes...KUDOS indeed. I am just happy he spoke up and did what i would have in same position. He shall forever be respected for such by going against such man who imo is not a good candidate for our A.G., but it is what it is now. I also agree on Trump not making it for the next four years. Impeachment is next or so Harvard top-law professors and others cite. Can't wait,if true. You all have a great safe & healthy blessed Sunday and week coming up.

"Lead with your mind and NOT with your heart."
I'm on mi way,Bebe.Me &U. No more D.O.C.this winter! Our homecoming will be so beautiful#Countin'TheDays