Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc

Old 03-06-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Prison Transfer....closer to home???

I am fairly certain I already know the answer to this lol...but figured I would give it a shot.

Can an inmate request to be transferred to a prison closer to family? Even if he has only 90 day sentence. From my understanding it would be a no, because 1. his sentence is only short, and 2. With the way Kansas state prisons are right now with transferring prisoners all over the place like, Minimum security prisoners in Medium security prisoners because of room needed and such, its doubtful. That and I don't even know if he would even qualify for where the BOP is supposed to designate him to a facility that's within a 500 miles of his release residence, which is of course here and I am in Missouri. Plus I think he's a little over 300 miles away, so that wouldn't even come into the equastion I guess

But anyways, thought I would ask just in case I may have missed something or maybe someone might have some experience with that here.

BF is looking into it also, but believes the same thing. We were just discussing how it would be cool if they could transfer him somewhere closer so it would make release day allot easier, especially with me picking him up and taking him straight to his PO, because I would have to be there early in the morning, probably won't get out till of course 2-3 hours later, and then driving straight from there back to Johnson county, and then if all goes well with his interstate compact, then probably a trip to his new PO in Missouri.
And it takes a good 5-6 hours to drive just from Norton Kansas to where we live which is in North Kansas City Missouri. So I doubt we could even get that all done in that time, which is our worry.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 01:00 AM

You can request that he be transferred to a prison closer for release, I assume Lansing, but with construction that may be an issue. KDOC has done so before, I know of at least 3 instances in the past 3 years. However, you are correct about the bedspace situation. Norton transfers normally occur on Tuesdays. His caseworker and staff at Norton are not going to be helpful. The person at KDOC who you can make the request to is Doug Burris in central office. His contact number and email are on the KDOC website.

If his Interstate Compact is approved, Missouri will issue him reporting instructions and a travel pass, he will get a copy upon release. They will normally require reporting in 48-72 hours after release.

Good luck.

Last edited by AR PCS; 03-07-2018 at 01:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
char_hart80 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 02:10 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,982 Posts

All this hassle for a 90-day sentence????
Old 03-07-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
All this hassle for a 90-day sentence????
In all honesty we thought with just a short sentence that they would send him somewhere closer, like Lansing prison because they do still have some prisoners there, and with such a short sentence, being just 90 days it would make more sense, that and last time they were sending literally all PO violations to minimum at Lansing last year. But, as we all know, nothing the system does here makes sense lol!! .... that and they are very slowly and painfully closing down Lansing prison because it's over 200 years old and it will cost more to fix everything then to just build a whole new facility. And its been taking them since about June-July last year I believe to do that.

That being said, we think (assuming), that they are sending all Minimum security prisoners to Medium security where he's at, which is Norton Kansas. He said last night though they may be sending him to Minimum there but nothing has happened as yet. I know he was really ticked off because there were two guys there who had some point system (still learning what that is), and they had about 2-3 points against them and at least 1 or 2 Disciplinary actions against them, and they were moved to minimum. He has 1 point and zero disciplinary actions, yet they moved them and they had only been there about 3 days and he's been there 7 days.

Either way, when I get to talk to him next I will let him know what you said AR PCS, at least something he can look into. Even three hours away, like Winfield would be helpful if obviously Lansing is completely out of the question.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 AM

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,196 Posts

I’m not sure what the BOP guidelines would have to do with a state prison designation anyway.

Good luck. I hope you get what you need.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by char_hart80 View Post
In all honesty we thought with just a short sentence that they would send him somewhere closer, like Lansing prison because they do still have some prisoners there, and with such a short sentence, being just 90 days it would make more sense, that and last time they were sending literally all PO violations to minimum at Lansing last year. But, as we all know, nothing the system does here makes sense lol!! .... that and they are very slowly and painfully closing down Lansing prison because it's over 200 years old and it will cost more to fix everything then to just build a whole new facility. And its been taking them since about June-July last year I believe to do that.

That being said, we think (assuming), that they are sending all Minimum security prisoners to Medium security where he's at, which is Norton Kansas. He said last night though they may be sending him to Minimum there but nothing has happened as yet. I know he was really ticked off because there were two guys there who had some point system (still learning what that is), and they had about 2-3 points against them and at least 1 or 2 Disciplinary actions against them, and they were moved to minimum. He has 1 point and zero disciplinary actions, yet they moved them and they had only been there about 3 days and he's been there 7 days.

Either way, when I get to talk to him next I will let him know what you said AR PCS, at least something he can look into. Even three hours away, like Winfield would be helpful if obviously Lansing is completely out of the question.
I get it but by the time you've written this reply his time is almost over
Don't get me wrong, I hope you get what you need (as Marseille said) but I personally would concentrate on more important things - for example that he will never go inside again. Choose your battle...
(again, very personal opinion)
AR PCS (03-21-2018), His_Queen13 (03-07-2018), xolady (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Okay....well thank you AR PCS for your very helpful reply most appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to char_hart80 For This Useful Post:
AR PCS (03-21-2018)