Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of West Virginia.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Ncrj--read This If You Care!!!

On Thursday, May 5th, the water was turned off from 3am-5pm and the inmates were not fed during that time. they were locked down in their cells and had to endure the heat and the smell of a toilet that could not be flushed. On Friday, the inmates were given a notice from the administartor thanking them for their cooperation and promising extra food in the next few days to come. My husband is mailing me this letter and i will download it for all of you to see once I get it.

Inmates located in certain areas (maybe all) have been denied rec time. Title 95 of the WV Code states that each inmate must be given at least one hour per day. They havent gotten it for two days now!

The other day, guards searched the cells and unnessesarily removed many items including noodles, food, pictures, ect.

Tonight, the guards searched again. They took my husbands shampoo becasue the lid was cracked and told him that he would have to replace it himself by buying more shampoo. One inmate had written down what he had for dinner each night so that he would know what to expect the next week. The guards ripped it from his notebook and told him that he didnt need to keep track of meals.

(This has happened twice in 2 months to my husband):: He turned in his laundry bag with store bought clothing to have washed. He never got the clothes or the bag back. He has been washing the clothes that he does have with his shampoo because he cant send them out without his bag. Now, with no shampoo, he cannot even do that. Last time this happened, they finally returned the bag after I called several times to complain, but they never did replace the items of clothing that he lost.

They want to charge 50 cents for a bag of Ramen Noondles, shampoo and clothes are outragously prices, yet they just come and take it!

My husband has some sort of problem with his ear and when he finally did see the doctor and get medicine, the nurses lost the meds for days. He is now almost completely deaf in that ear. Yesterday, the guards called his name for meds and one of the inmates said he was laying down and offered to go get him. The guard said that if my husband didnt come than that wasnt his problem. The inmate tried to expalin that he was getting the med because of his ear and that my husband could not hear them calling for them. The guards told him that it was too bad. My husband never got his meds that day.

Many inmates, including my husband have asked for grievence forms from administration and are being told that there are none available. What, none available for the past 4 months? They should not be being denied the right to file a grievence declaration.

Tonight, I called and spoke to the supervisor on duty and told him that I was aware of the situation and the lack of water and food and about my husbands shampoo being taken, clothes, ect. He claimed that none of it was true.

Monday morning, I am going to be on the phone with the comissioner. I am hoping to have inmates other than my husband back me up on this. Not only will it help our case, but it can help your loved one as well. Please contact me if you would like to be apart of this "fight" against NCRJ. I am not going to sit back and watch them break the rules any longer. My husband and many others suffer from the neglect, lack of food, and unsanitary conditions at that jail. I think it would go a long way to respond to this as a whole. Maybe it will open their eyes.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Satisfied

I don't have anyone involved, but I just wanted to wish you luck! I hope you get results!

GOOD LUCK!!
Jenn
Old 05-07-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Can U Believe???

Can you believe that now, after I have called and speken to the supervisor, they have locked my husband down and have given him two write ups. One for misuse of state property and one for contraband!!

I called about his shampoo bein taken. Well, his old cell mate that was transfered out last week, left behind a bottle of store bought shampoo that had "state" shampoo inside. I guess they found it durring last weeks raid and are just now writing my husband up tonight. Funny, huh? Its not even the same bottle of shamoo that i had origionally called about. They took that bottle tonight.
So, they are actually making him go to court because a bottle of shampoo was found in his cell LAST WEEK and that belonged to a prior cell mate. They are saying he misused state property and considering it contraband!!
I guess they think they can scare him into keeping his mouth shut. Not going to work. These guards in this regional jail havent read my husbands file. My hubby has been in every prison in WV including the max security. These guards wouldnt survive in a DOC prison for one day.
This only makes us want to push harder. They can try all the little stupid tactics they want. I am not finished with them.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:42 PM

I can feel your frustration from your posting. That whole thing is outrageous. I don't understand why they want to demean human beings and keep making their life more and more difficult. It is also terrible that when you complain then he is punished more. For what it is worth I think you are doing the best thing you can in the situation and I am sure your man appreciates that -- at least he feels your love. I feel so bad for so much of what goes on in prisons. There is not much I can do but I can pray for you and your man, as well as for all of the mistreated people who suffer daily at the hands of these cruel, power-hungry idiots. I am so sorry for your situation.

--Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Old 05-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Mexican at heart.

Default Wow!

What nerve they have!! How awful of them to be treating the inmates this way!! You go get them girl!! I wish you the best of luck!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:43 PM

Executive Director Steven D. Canterbury
West Virginia Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority
1325 Virginia St. East
Charleston, WV 25301

This is the person you need to contact... I do not believe calling the jail administrator there will do any good. My husband was there twice. Once for six months, and one for 11 months. His treatment there was very poor too. I am a former DOC employee, and never in my life had I seen treatment like the treatment my husband received in the regional jail facility. He was much better treated through DOC.

You have a legitimate complaint and if you do not get any help from this man, I suggest you contact the governor. The site for the regional jails is www.wvrja.com.

Good luck to you, and if you need any help for you husband, Send me a private IM. Keep us posted!!!
Bonnie

God Bless!!!
Bonnie

Galatians 2:20
Old 05-12-2005, 09:01 PM

Default thanks bonnie

i did actually contact cantiberry's office, but they routed me to some guy who just didnt believe a thing i was saying. he was very polite and professional, but he just said he would check into it. he said that my husbands accusations were very far fetched and that many times, inmates exagerate on the truth. well, i talk to my hubby everynight and see him 3 or more times a week. he still doesnt have a laundry bag, so hes running around in dirty clothes. today, some of his fellow inmates asked the guards for some bags and were told there were none. i guess the ones they had turned in with their clothes a few weeks ago just disapeared. my hubby said that in his entire block, only two guys now have a bag. i read title 95 of the wv code and it states that the inmates are to be given clean clothes everyday. they tried to write my hubby up for taking bar soap and crushing it into an old shampoo bottle with water for to wash their clothes. they said it was contraband and misuse of state property. of course, the hearing officer threw it out. my hubby has had somehthing wrong with his ear for over a month. he is completely deaf on the left now. they arent doing nothing. he sees some indian doctor who really doesnt know crap. there are just so many rules that the regional jails break. its like the wv code doesnt matter and no one is willing to stand up for it. like the overcrowding. title 95 clearly states how much space each inmate is to have and that beds are to be off the ground. that doesnt mean they can put a mattress on the floor. where is the law that says they can? who is fighting for the wv code? the state puts these rules into effect and then when the jails dont honor them, the leaders of our state do nothing. i would think that someone out there would care enough about their job and the time they spent writing these laws to do something about it. to them, criminals are just criminals, like they dont matter. well, criminals have feelings, mothers, spouses, and kids. its just so bothersome. my husband was just 18 when his buddy went into a house and robbed a man of $30.00 in change. so stupid. is it worth a 2-30 years sentence that cant ever be gone? people change, they grow up. my man is 26, has a wife and kids now. he works and supports us. he is not the young boy who made a mistake. but back to the jail crap..it is just awfull. the jail authorities just think they can do anything, and they really can, pretty much. and to people like me, with low income and cannot afford an attorney, its hard to push for things to be corrected. i have written to the govenor several times and have gotten no response. we have files compalints with the higher courts and the judge who had origionally sentenced my hubby. anyway, thanks for everyones help. this site is really a life savor. its great to come online and be helped while helping others. i like to be able to get out my frustrations to people who understand.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Unsanitary

I just found out that there is an entire block that has been quarentined because the inmates got scabies. I was also told that they are washing the inmates white clothing with the mop heads that they use to clean the floors! That is pretty grose and you would think they could wash them seprately. My hubby sees the board nexy month and hopefully will get out of that terrible place. They are nasty!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Donation Award 

I cannot begin to count how many times the block where I was housed at SRJ was quarrentined for scabies and lice!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakity
I just found out that there is an entire block that has been quarentined because the inmates got scabies. I was also told that they are washing the inmates white clothing with the mop heads that they use to clean the floors! That is pretty grose and you would think they could wash them seprately. My hubby sees the board nexy month and hopefully will get out of that terrible place. They are nasty!
Scabies: A highly communicable skin disease caused by an arachnid, (itch mite) Scabies is transmitted by direct contact with infected persons.
it is very similar to lice. Just like your kids when they go to school, whenever you have many people in a confined area if someone has it when they come in the jail, (that is not always readily seen on booking) someone may transmit it to another inmate.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:21 AM

First of all, scabies is rampant in the NCRJ. The uniforms are disgustingly dirty even right out of the washer. They shut off the water all the time as "punishment". It is so sad, this place. These people who work there are just scum of the earth. Why won't anyone listen to what is really going on in there? Maybe I should take out a full-page newspaper ad out and give MY side of the story. What REALLY goes down inside the NCRJ. Do you think someone might listen then?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

I don't know what if anything will help, I have e-mailed the Reps and Senator for my district about other prison matters and all I get are the standard letters that do not even address my concerns. I live in a rural area of Hardy Co. WV and we can't even get our roads fixed so I don't see them caring about inmates or prison conditions. I know that sounds negative and I certainly don't want to discourage you, any action is better than no action as far as I am concerned.

CATHERINE
Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 PM
HERE, MAYBE NOT FOR LONG

I was in NCRJ. It really is a hell hole. I was in Pod 4 Section B Cell 5. I would really like more information, I was only in there for maybe week week in a half, and it wasnt too pretty..... I finally got out on bond.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:33 PM
HERE, MAYBE NOT FOR LONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakity
On Thursday, May 5th, the water was turned off from 3am-5pm and the inmates were not fed during that time. they were locked down in their cells and had to endure the heat and the smell of a toilet that could not be flushed. On Friday, the inmates were given a notice from the administartor thanking them for their cooperation and promising extra food in the next few days to come. My husband is mailing me this letter and i will download it for all of you to see once I get it.

Inmates located in certain areas (maybe all) have been denied rec time. Title 95 of the WV Code states that each inmate must be given at least one hour per day. They havent gotten it for two days now!

The other day, guards searched the cells and unnessesarily removed many items including noodles, food, pictures, ect.

Tonight, the guards searched again. They took my husbands shampoo becasue the lid was cracked and told him that he would have to replace it himself by buying more shampoo. One inmate had written down what he had for dinner each night so that he would know what to expect the next week. The guards ripped it from his notebook and told him that he didnt need to keep track of meals.

(This has happened twice in 2 months to my husband):: He turned in his laundry bag with store bought clothing to have washed. He never got the clothes or the bag back. He has been washing the clothes that he does have with his shampoo because he cant send them out without his bag. Now, with no shampoo, he cannot even do that. Last time this happened, they finally returned the bag after I called several times to complain, but they never did replace the items of clothing that he lost.

They want to charge 50 cents for a bag of Ramen Noondles, shampoo and clothes are outragously prices, yet they just come and take it!

My husband has some sort of problem with his ear and when he finally did see the doctor and get medicine, the nurses lost the meds for days. He is now almost completely deaf in that ear. Yesterday, the guards called his name for meds and one of the inmates said he was laying down and offered to go get him. The guard said that if my husband didnt come than that wasnt his problem. The inmate tried to expalin that he was getting the med because of his ear and that my husband could not hear them calling for them. The guards told him that it was too bad. My husband never got his meds that day.

Many inmates, including my husband have asked for grievence forms from administration and are being told that there are none available. What, none available for the past 4 months? They should not be being denied the right to file a grievence declaration.

Tonight, I called and spoke to the supervisor on duty and told him that I was aware of the situation and the lack of water and food and about my husbands shampoo being taken, clothes, ect. He claimed that none of it was true.

Monday morning, I am going to be on the phone with the comissioner. I am hoping to have inmates other than my husband back me up on this. Not only will it help our case, but it can help your loved one as well. Please contact me if you would like to be apart of this "fight" against NCRJ. I am not going to sit back and watch them break the rules any longer. My husband and many others suffer from the neglect, lack of food, and unsanitary conditions at that jail. I think it would go a long way to respond to this as a whole. Maybe it will open their eyes.

I would love to be a part of the fight as well. I was in there, on the first day they had me in lock down (holding cell) for alomost 2 days. Then i got transferred to Pod 4 Section B cell 5, They gave me stuff, that contained my clothing ( 2 pairs of pants, 2 Shirts, 2 pairs of socks, and washing stuff. They gave you a roll of tp, if you dont keep the brown core, they wont replace it. You only get 3 showers a week is what the guards told me. They also told me, they wash your clothes 2 times a week. When I was in there wont give the date... They hadnt washed the other inmates clothes for 2 weeks. gave me one blanket, one sheet, and had to carry the mattress and pillow plus my bag of stuff to my cell. They wouldnt let me get any of the stuff you can buy, unless I was there for 30 days.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Default help

Please let me know if you are getting anywhere with this and if you are still pursuing the matter; I for one have several loved ones in that place and im certain that they would be glad to help and grateful for some relief. I myself was incarcerated there for almost a year and I am well aware of the conditons that exist there. I know how the system works and I firmly believe that it is all about the numbers on paper. It is strictly governed by the belief that high conviction rates appease and please the public, once you are convicted or even arrested your rights as a human being; let alone a citizen ; are void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakity View Post

Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Is this the North Central Regional Jail? I'm going through threads trying to find info and came across this one. My sister will be making a stop here before going on to Lakin, so was trying to find info on both. This post is old, so I was curious if conditions have gotten better here?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:26 AM

Default NCRJ

I see the last post was in 2005 about how bad ncrj was, its still very bad. My son is in there. prisoners are mistreated. Food is often inedible and makes inmates sick. If inmates go to visitation or to see the nurse, anything out of their pod, their toiletries and commissary will be stolen. Its very dirty. Laundry either doesn't return items or the laundry is barely cleaner than when it left. My son washes his laundry in the sink. My son has an ear infection and cannot get meds to get it cleared up, he is looking forward to going to prison because ncrj is so bad,
Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Same interest as in 2005

You or your loved one will suffer if sent to North Central Regional Jail in WV. Not surprising since popular opinion advocates shooting drug dealers. Animals are treated better than ncrj inmates. No rehab. Try sending a book from the publisher- nope, You will be told NCRJ has a fully stocked library. If this is true it is not accessible by the inmates. Everything in the commissary is Bob Barker brand and is sold at premium prices but is substandard across the board. Its all about making money for Doddridge County. The COs can't get jobs anywhere else. The place has gotten filthier since it opened. Surprised inmates don't die of dysentery or other 3rd world diseases.