Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MINNESOTA > Minnesota General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Minnesota General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Minnesota that do not fit into any other Minnesota sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:12 PM

Default Need advice on what to tell an Employer

Hi all. I have a question and I'm not sure if anyone will have the answer to it. My cousin's husband was arrested for a DUI Saturday night. She ended up calling into work today thinking that he'd be released today. She told her employer that she has a family emergency. Her husband called earlier and told her that he has not heard from the judge yet and so he's stuck there and hopefully gets released tomorrow. She's calling into work again for tomorrow and and her supervisor asked to see proof. She told him that she doesn't have any proof. He continued on and informed her to talk to HR. My question is, what can she do? Or what should she do? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,270 Times in 15,272 Posts

Well, she can 1) provide proof; 2) Wait at home for her husband to call / be released & lose her job; or 3) Ask someone to pick her husband up for her and go to work.

Minnesota is an At Will state, meaning an employer can fire an employee for any reason, without due cause.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Chaddersgirl (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Well, she can 1) provide proof; 2) Wait at home for her husband to call / be released & lose her job; or 3) Ask someone to pick her husband up for her and go to work.

Minnesota is an At Will state, meaning an employer can fire an employee for any reason, without due cause.
Thanks, I gave her pretty much the same options but wanted to find out if there was anything else she could do.
The Following User Says Thank You to mxpyacymmzy For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Thanked 2,758 Times in 957 Posts

I don’t think this qualifies for FMLA. HR will use their discretion in determining if this is a real family emergency. My guess is no because there was nothing preventing her from going to work. Let him take an Uber home. If she had called and talked to HR they may have given her a little slack for a day but probably not for more than that.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”

Last edited by AndyS; 05-21-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I don’t think this qualifies for FMLA. HR will use their discretion in determining if this is a real family emergency. My guess is no because there was nothing preventing her from going to work. Let him take an Uber home. If she had called and talked to HR they may have given her a little slack for a day but probably not for more than that.
Thanks. She just informed me that she told her employer she would return to work on Wednesday, whether he gets released or not. She's calling in to talk to HR tomorrow morning and is hoping that HR will cut her a little slack. I hope all goes well for her.
The Following User Says Thank You to mxpyacymmzy For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-21-2018)