Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) located in San Diego, California.

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Question RJD, but which building?

Hi all, a pal of mine just got transferred here... I have no idea which buidling/unit number he's in though. He hasn't told me yet, I just did a search for him on the CA inmate locator and it says "RJ Donovan" but no other info. Now, he has told me he'll let me know when he's moved *but* it's his birthday on 25th August and so I need to get a card off to him?

Do I
A) Risk sending to the admin building
or
B) send to the old prison (which was PVSP)???

Any help much appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Default Inmate's allowed property

Hi, I am new here and I hope that I can get some answers from those of you whose threads I have read. You all seem to be very well informed.

My son has been moved 5 times since he went through reception at Wasco. His paperwork stated that he was to go to Pleasant Valley, he was sent to Solano instead, then to Duel then supposedly mainlined to Sierra. He wound up being moved to Donovan, but had a layover at Pleasant Valley where he was supposed to be in the first place.

Several inmates were at Sierra were asked if they wanted to go to Donovan, most said, "no" including my son, but in the end he and some others had no choice. Why do they move them around like this? If prison is supposed to be for rehabilitation as well as punishment, how can they rehab if they are never settled in with classes and jobs?

Since we were assuming that he was going to stay at Sierra, the family got together and sent him a special package which contained a CD player with music and also a AM/FM radio and ear buds for both. When he arrived at Donovan the radio was confiscated along with a pair of ear buds. He was told that he could not have both the CD and the radio.

Is this correct? If so, why do they have different rules for different institutions? Will the radio be placed into his property or what? He said that the CO that took it just placed it on the desk not in the trash.

Also, where would I find information on what the inmates at Donovan can have? I know the rules about envelopes, stamps and paper, but what I need to know is what they can have in regards to Special Packages and Quarterly Packages. I don't have any information on his yard or building. He has only written to me once since arriving at Donovan last week. He basically was letting me know that he had arrived and gave me the info on his radio being confiscated.

He is closer to me about an hour and a half away, but he really like Sierra and even though it was 6 hours away, I didn't mind driving and getting a hotel. I just want him to be safe and feel safe.

I would appreciate any info that any one of you could give.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM

chica why do you not call the prison 619 661 6500 xt 5420 thats records and ask for his housing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie_M3ENF View Post
Hi all, a pal of mine just got transferred here... I have no idea which buidling/unit number he's in though. He hasn't told me yet, I just did a search for him on the CA inmate locator and it says "RJ Donovan" but no other info. Now, he has told me he'll let me know when he's moved *but* it's his birthday on 25th August and so I need to get a card off to him?

Do I
A) Risk sending to the admin building
or
B) send to the old prison (which was PVSP)???

Any help much appreciated, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to gothika22 For This Useful Post:
his#1 bball fan (08-22-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts

My son has been moved 5 times since he went through reception at Wasco. His paperwork stated that he was to go to Pleasant Valley, he was sent to Solano instead, then to Duel then supposedly mainlined to Sierra. He wound up being moved to Donovan, but had a layover at Pleasant Valley where he was supposed to be in the first place.

Im sooo sorry he had to go through this but its not suprising that its done, not all.... Every move and transportation is money for those guards, not cool but it is what it is...

Is this correct? If so, why do they have different rules for different institutions? Will the radio be placed into his property or what? He said that the CO that took it just placed it on the desk not in the trash.

yes that is very so... Every instituation has different rules on what they can receive. Don't know why but it is.

Also, where would I find information on what the inmates at Donovan can have? I know the rules about envelopes, stamps and paper, but what I need to know is what they can have in regards to Special Packages and Quarterly Packages. I don't have any information on his yard or building. He has only written to me once since arriving at Donovan last week. He basically was letting me know that he had arrived and gave me the info on his radio being confiscated.

here is the link for donovan http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/for...lay.php?f=1078

Hope all works out for your son...
The Following User Says Thank You to traviesita For This Useful Post:
D4C (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Thanked 1,840 Times in 691 Posts

Hate to say it but rehabilitation is not really a priority. Right now with reakignment shuffling as mant people around as humanly possible is going to be happening everywhere in hopes that the numbers come out somewhere near where the state has been court ordered to get them to.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM
CALI Gal
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,077 Posts

CA-each prison has different rules when it comes to what items an inmate can have so most likely it's true. Why don't you call R&R at Donovan and ask them what happened to the confiscated item? Also, if you check the vendors website (Access/Walkenhorst etc) and go to the specific prison (Donovan) the site will show you the items you may order. I believe the catalogs in the back also show what group can order what. I would request a copy of the catalog from the vendor you like to order from. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Default AM/FM confiscated

Quote:
Originally Posted by his#1 bball fan View Post
CA-each prison has different rules when it comes to what items an inmate can have so most likely it's true. Why don't you call R&R at Donovan and ask them what happened to the confiscated item? Also, if you check the vendors website (Access/Walkenhorst etc) and go to the specific prison (Donovan) the site will show you the items you may order. I believe the catalogs in the back also show what group can order what. I would request a copy of the catalog from the vendor you like to order from. Good luck!
Thanks so much. I am flying blind here. I know this site will be very helpful to me, but here is still so much to learn about it. What does "R&R" stand for and how do I reach them.

Last edited by CAdreaming; 08-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Reply sent to wrong place?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Hi. Not sure yet if I will end up here but want to get acquainted and find out a few things about RJD. My friend may be transferring from Salinas Valley (which sucks) and I'm hoping Donovan is better - and from the few posts I have read it sounds like it's going to be a lot better (but then again, not much could be worse than SVSP - if they treat the inmates as bad as they treat the visitors then it's hell on earth).
Anyway, if the transfer happens I'm sure I'll be in here asking a ton of questions before my next visit out to CA.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
CALI Gal
Donation Award 

CA- R&R means receive and release-their ext is 5524. Perhaps they can give you some info on what happens to items that are confiscated or point you in the right direction.

Karren-feel free to ask away.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Possible Newbee questions

You may regret telling me to ask away

We heard that one of the yards at RJD (possibly 2 yard) was being set up to house just wheelchair inmates? Is this true?
How is the medical there? My friend is in a wheelchair and has some medical concerns that I want to make sure will not be ignored there - it's been a fight to have them addressed at SVSP and I would rather not have to go through that battle again.
How often do they get locked down at RJD? (SVSP seems to be locked down quite often).
How strict are they with what you wear to visit? At SVSP they made me go change my shirt one time saying it was too low in the front - it was a regular t-shirt and was just below my throat. They then let a girl in that had her cleavage showing. I was about ready to go postal on them, but I didn't
How is the food at visits (both taste wise and cost?)

I still don't know if the transfer will happen or not, but I would just as soon know a few things in advance - and I can let him know what you ladies have to say about the place (especially if any of you have had dealings with SVSP - hoping you can tell me how much better Donovan in).
Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Karren-feel free to ask away.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,619 Posts

sometimes the food is decent cost, and normally it taste fine. the specials are big and so we share them. We have never been elsewhere so I cant answer any of the other comparison questions.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 AM

i have read on the ifc page in fb that yard a wil be turn into level 2 sny but focusing on medical attention like wheelchair and elderly inmates. i been at rjd now for 6 years and we seldom go on lockdown, the longest was two weeks = )
clothing, none of the prison colors of course, no leggings nothing showing clevage, cannot be no lower than 3 fingers below neck. no see thru, no layering.
food is great, after doin vending machines only for years and if that is what you are use to, the food from the food guy is great jajjajajaj. the specials are bigger now than when i started anf of course the prices have gone up, 6 years ago the special was 10 dollars now it can be up to 13 dollars but very much worth it considering what they have to eat the rest of the week
i really like donovan comparing to the other prisons i have been to, no drama in carline, we got a food guy, not a far drive for me from los angeles, done my missions of 4 to 5 hours to get to a prison. I think you will like it here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karren Ann View Post
You may regret telling me to ask away

We heard that one of the yards at RJD (possibly 2 yard) was being set up to house just wheelchair inmates? Is this true?
How is the medical there? My friend is in a wheelchair and has some medical concerns that I want to make sure will not be ignored there - it's been a fight to have them addressed at SVSP and I would rather not have to go through that battle again.
How often do they get locked down at RJD? (SVSP seems to be locked down quite often).
How strict are they with what you wear to visit? At SVSP they made me go change my shirt one time saying it was too low in the front - it was a regular t-shirt and was just below my throat. They then let a girl in that had her cleavage showing. I was about ready to go postal on them, but I didn't
How is the food at visits (both taste wise and cost?)

I still don't know if the transfer will happen or not, but I would just as soon know a few things in advance - and I can let him know what you ladies have to say about the place (especially if any of you have had dealings with SVSP - hoping you can tell me how much better Donovan in).
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothika View Post
i have read on the ifc page in fb that yard a wil be turn into level 2 sny but focusing on medical attention like wheelchair and elderly inmates. i been at rjd now for 6 years and we seldom go on lockdown, the longest was two weeks = )
clothing, none of the prison colors of course, no leggings nothing showing clevage, cannot be no lower than 3 fingers below neck. no see thru, no layering.
food is great, after doin vending machines only for years and if that is what you are use to, the food from the food guy is great jajjajajaj. the specials are bigger now than when i started anf of course the prices have gone up, 6 years ago the special was 10 dollars now it can be up to 13 dollars but very much worth it considering what they have to eat the rest of the week
i really like donovan comparing to the other prisons i have been to, no drama in carline, we got a food guy, not a far drive for me from los angeles, done my missions of 4 to 5 hours to get to a prison. I think you will like it here
Hi, how do we find the IFC page on FB?
The Following User Says Thank You to Whaatevverr For This Useful Post:
Beachhouse (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 PM

I couldnt fin the fb page either. There are a few.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM
CALI Gal
Donation Award 

Google "RJ Donovan ifc facebook" and it should bring up the page

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to his#1 bball fan For This Useful Post:
Beachhouse (09-14-2012), Whaatevverr (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Google "RJ Donovan ifc facebook" and it should bring up the page
Thank you. I found it.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Default Food Guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothika View Post
I have been visiting to at least three prisons. They all had vending machines. Who is this "food guy?" How does it work?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAdreaming View Post
I have been visiting to at least three prisons. They all had vending machines. Who is this "food guy?" How does it work?
we have vending machines but there is also a menu and the food guy(s) you can order good food from them. Typically there are specials for breakfast and lunch and a selection of sandwiches, pizzas, fresh fruit, desserts, coffees etc. decently priced, especially if you share which we do. i normally spend 20 or less because we share and its a good amount of food. his roommate on the other hand buys a breakfast, lunch, dessert and drinks and spends much more as hes not sharing so they get 2 of most things.
his#1 bball fan (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
CALI Gal
Donation Award 

CA this is one of the good things Donovan has for their inmates and loved ones at visiting, the Donovan cafe A staff member will come to your visiting room & take your order. Depending how busy they are, they usually come back within the hour with your food and that's when you pay them. The menu is posted on the wall somewhere in the room, ours was by where he took the orders. Sat & Sun they have breakfast & lunch specials which can range from $9-$12.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
CA this is one of the good things Donovan has for their inmates and loved ones at visiting, the Donovan cafe A staff member will come to your visiting room & take your order. Depending how busy they are, they usually come back within the hour with your food and that's when you pay them. The menu is posted on the wall somewhere in the room, ours was by where he took the orders. Sat & Sun they have breakfast & lunch specials which can range from $9-$12.
and you can order up to about 1:30 I believe.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM

girl you been gone for a while the specials now go up to 13.95 jijijij but the specials have gotten better since i first got there years ago, we are certainly paying for the house and car he got jijijijij

Quote:

Last edited by gothika22; 09-25-2012 at 03:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gothika22 For This Useful Post:
Beachhouse (09-26-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Default Food at RJ Donovan

Quote:
Thank you, thank you.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM
~My Penguin*His Coqui~

Thanked 1,074 Times in 372 Posts

Hello Ladies, My man is up for transfer within a few months and he has his 2 choices which first is Donovan second is Chino. I wanted to know how are vists there? He will be going to level 3 SNY. Does it get crowded? Do visits get terminated? I love the whole ordering food thing and i know he would too lol Just wanted to get an insight on visiting? Appointments are they hard to get in etc? thanks any info will help

Did you know that when a penguin finds its mate they stay together for the rest of their lives? I found my Penguin

Closed Thread