Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > ONEIDA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

ONEIDA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York State Prisons & Institutions located in the ONEIDA HUB - Oneida, Mohawk, Mid-State, Marcy, Hale Creek, Summit, Georgetown, Pharsalia, CNY Psych Ctr.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 AM

Default Possible new travel alternative to Marcy/oneida hub from NYC

I don't drive but I want to visit my LO at Marcy CF. I live in new york city and I am planning a trip in 2 weeks most likely via one of the private bus companies I've seen listed in the forums here. But I also wanted to keep my mind and options open and I was brainstorming and this is what I came up with: If I'm not mistaken, the closest city to Marcy is Utica, NY so I was thinking of taking amtrak to Utica new york (seeing as the travel time is listed as being relatively fast at about 4.5 hours) and there is a train that leaves from penn station in NYC at 7:15, which is perfect for me because some of the private bus/van companies listed on here leave at 2, 3, 4 in the morning and thats not really practical/possible for me all the time. According to the Amtrak website the train will get to the Utica station at 11:42am. From the train station, a taxi would be needed to get o the CF. I *assume* that there should be taxis around there since it is a train station but if not, Im sure I'd be able to get some #s for one from an information es or something.

so my questions are: are taxis allowed into the prison grounds and better yet, do you think the taxi driver would be willing to take me to the facility? according to google maps (once again, IF i'm correct!), the prison is about 15 minutes away from the amtrak train station.

As I haven't done the trip in this manner or even read/heard of anyone who has on here, this is purely based on speculation and google research lol, so I'm sure there are holes in my theory. As a matter of fact, I fully accept this proposition may be completely flawed! LOL, but hey its a thought!

input/info is very much needed and appreciated!

Last edited by fghthegoodfight; 08-26-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,376 Times in 3,006 Posts

You should call a taxi company and get a quote. You might be very shocked on. The cost of the taxi. Taxi onto the grounds should not be an issue. You do realize you will only get about 2 hours to visit if you get into the visit room at 1230. Which assumes everything goes well. Have you considered going the night before.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following User Says Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
Liana'sMom (06-13-2015)
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Ann View Post
You should call a taxi company and get a quote. You might be very shocked on. The cost of the taxi. Taxi onto the grounds should not be an issue. You do realize you will only get about 2 hours to visit if you get into the visit room at 1230. Which assumes everything goes well. Have you considered going the night before.
Thanks for the reply! I do realize in terms of time, it is cutting it close but anytime together is better than none. The whole amtrak route, if I ever did use it, would be a once in a while option. I would def look into the price quote but I'd only really have sticker shock if its over like maybe $20.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,376 Times in 3,006 Posts

upstate taxis are very expensive. I will bet you are looking at $50 minimum one way.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following User Says Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
Liana'sMom (06-13-2015)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM

My friend said u can find a cab for $7 bucks at the station if u share with someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to _lovesosa For This Useful Post:
Liana'sMom (06-13-2015)