Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida County & Metro Jails
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida County & Metro Jails Topics and discussion specific to County & Metro jail facilities in Florida.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 PM

Default Food being withheld?

First of all let me tell you that my son is a drug addict and was arrested weighing only about 125 lbs. He told me that he had a problem with another inmate sticking his finger in his food trying to get him to give it to him. This happened twice and on the second time they fought. He was moved to a different unit, but they ( trustees ) are withholding portions from him and telling him that the inmate that he fought with says hi... He doesn't want to go to the guards and have to fight someone for being a snitch, but he says he's starving..... He's asking for commissary.... But I'm not sure if he's lying and wanting this to trade for drugs.... I've called the chaplain and find out how we can find out if this is happening without having the guards intervene.... Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM

sometimes in prison or jail you have to fight for your food, thats just the way it is. You have to get your respect, and sometimes fighting is the only way to get respect.As far as trading commissary for drugs, thats very possible, but you would have a very hard time finding that out

Last edited by clay1; 02-19-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Old 02-19-2015, 02:07 PM

He's not afraid to fight... He just doesn't want to get in more trouble before his hearing... I'm just trying to figure out if he's lying to me or not and if not, is there any other options for him other than fighting
Old 02-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Is your son a juvenile or adult? What did the chaplain say?
That's a tough one...If he doesn't want trouble for fighting, what would he think drugs would get him?
Why don't the guards do their jobs in these places (assuming your son's story is true)??
I wish I knew what to tell you on this one....hmm...
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 PM

He's an adult... I left two messages for the chaplain, but did not hear back from him..... Like all addicts, he does things out of desperation for the drug. Not an excuse, but it is what it is.... He's detoxed for the most part now, so I guess he's thinking more clearly... That is if he telling the truth... I haven't given him canteen because I think that he needs to realize that his continued addiction will have very hard and long term consequences if it hasn't already... But I don't want him going hungry if this is really happening... Don't know what to do or who to turn to for answers or help
Old 02-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisdad View Post
He's an adult... I left two messages for the chaplain, but did not hear back from him..... Like all addicts, he does things out of desperation for the drug. Not an excuse, but it is what it is.... He's detoxed for the most part now, so I guess he's thinking more clearly... That is if he telling the truth... I haven't given him canteen because I think that he needs to realize that his continued addiction will have very hard and long term consequences if it hasn't already... But I don't want him going hungry if this is really happening... Don't know what to do or who to turn to for answers or help
I understand what you mean about the addiction...and you're right about the consequences. But...him going hungry is not acceptable nor is the bs from other inmates, if it is in fact happening. The problem is if you do call the jail and say something, you could create a bigger problem. But you could also solve it that way....it all depends. Argh. How frustrating. Maybe try posting this in a couple other forums (like parents with children in prison and perhaps Legal Help?). Again, I wish I knew the answer here, but I don't want to suggest something that makes matters worse for your son.
The first question is if he is lying or not....and that's almost impossible to know for sure, I'd think!
I wish you the best in figuring this out and I'm sorry I don't have more to offer to help.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM

Thanks mrsbear and yes it's a difficult issue to resolve without possibly creating major issues for him.... I have decided to put a small amount on his account until I can possibly find out if this is happening... I know senior personnel at the facility and can call them, but I would rather see if there is another way of finding this out without getting them involved
Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 PM

Its a bad situation but thats the way it is in jail and prison. I did 5 years in the Texas Prison System and ive seen other inmates take food from weaker inmates and ive seen inmates trade all their commissary for drugs and tobacco. The problem is your not for sure which one is happening, and its virtually impossible for you to find out for sure. You said hes not afraid to fight. If hes not afraid to fight, the situation will work itself out in the near future. Once other inmates know he will fight, they will eventually leave him alone. They are just testing him to see if he will, and it dont matter if he gets his butt whipped, as long as he will fight other inmates will respect him and leave him alone eventually. And he cant worry about getting in trouble for fighting, you have to do what you have to do sometimes. Fighting is a minor offense anyway, you probably wont even get in any trouble for it. Now if hes trading commissary for drugs, hes going to have to work that out himself and realize drugs is probably what put him there and its not very smart to be doing drugs while hes locked up.I used my 5 years in prison to get myself clean and off of drugs, and thats what your son needs to do if hes still using. But like i said, hes the only one that can do that.One thing i learned in prison, you get in bad situations sometimes but they tend to blow over rather quickly usually. If your son isnt using drugs, i think this situation will work out ok.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Thank Clay and everyone who replied.... He's responsible for being in the situation he's in and only he and the good Lord can help fix it.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 PM

Your very welcome sir, i hope it helped you out some. I will be praying for you and your son. I know its hard for you to see your son locked up,but maybe thats the best thing for him right now. I know if it wasnt for my time in prison id still be using drugs and probably be dead now. So really, prison saved my life. But thats what it took for me to get off drugs and get my life straightened out and i hope and pray thats how it works out for your son. I know it seems like a very bad, negative situation now but in the long run it can turn out to be a very positive thing and i hope it does.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 PM

Just saw this. I sincerely hope your son is detoxes and better. My son finally gained much needed weight in Faulkenburg. He signed up to work in kitchen which also means transferring tonew dorm. Made things better. Helped so much. Good luck