Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation or release in Indiana should be posted here.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:51 AM

Default How do I apply for parole for my Mother?

Hi everybody,
This is my first time posting! My mother has been in prison for a little over 2 years. She has been sentenced to serve 8 years of prison time a DUI offense, violation of parole, and neglect of a dependent.

In here stay in prison she has been granted multiple responsibilities and well loved by all the guards and inmates alike.

She does not fit the stereotypical mold for an inmate, has her college degree, was a teacher in our community for 20 years, etc.

I've been trying to research different ways to apply for parole for her, and can't find anything! Can somebody help me? We live in Indiana.

If there is anything I can do to help her get released early on my end I want to do it! She does not need to be in a correctional facility any longer, and her time of rehabilitation from her alcoholism can be spent in a facility or with her family where we can love and support her.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2015, 07:26 AM

In NY, DWI (as DUI is called here) offenses are a guaranteed win for the cops, courts, parole boards and politicians. A very important part of the self-serving “oh, look at us, we’re so hard on crime” posture they ALL like to strike is virtually never offering early release from prison or parole to DWI offenders. They give it to a very, very few so they can’t be criticized for never giving it, but the chance of any one person getting such treatment is nil. My personal experience was that all the in-prison programming in the world (both required and voluntary), all the good records and everything else in the world were all meaningless. They kept me in prison for every last minute they could, they kept me on parole for every last minute they could and nothing about my programming efforts or good record ever meant anything to them. I was one more case on the books and one more statistical justification for budget allocations, job security, organizational stability and perpetuation, etc. It was all about their needs and had nothing to do with my record.

Realistically speaking---I’m sorry to say it, but I think you can expect your mother to serve whatever she was sentenced to and it’d be unrealistic to hope for an early release. Sadly, your mother is now a meal ticket for self-serving bureaucrats and a good meal ticket is something bureaucrats just don’t like to give up.

Maybe IN is different from NY in how they handle DUI cases and your mother will have a shot at early release that’d be a fantasy in NY. Here’s hoping. Good luck with however it goes.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,039 Times in 12,729 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here is a link to the Indiana law about parole eligibility.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/11/13/3/11-13-3-2

and the PTO Indiana Parole forum too
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/for...lay.php?f=1443

I hope she is released at her first eligibility date.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,026 Times in 16,155 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO I've moved your thread to the Indiana sub-forum for Indiana Parole, Probation & Release because every state is different when calculating parole eligibility. I'm not sure that you can apply for parole for your Mother.....when her parole eligibility date rolls around, she'll have a hearing (f Indiana has parole, some states do not). Here is the link to Indiana's Parole Board:

https://secure.in.gov/idoc/2324.htm

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 11-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

First thing, you can't apply for parole for anyone else, and usually those inside can't apply for themselves, either. There is a minimum percentage of sentence that has to be served before notice is given to an inmate to appear before the parole board. Look up Indiana's percentage requirement so you'll know when that might be.

And, to Combs - New York releases most of its DUI prisoners at about the 2/3 point, and most from Gowanda. it is, as always, dependent on behavior.
fbopnomore (11-10-2015)