Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > ONEIDA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

ONEIDA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York State Prisons & Institutions located in the ONEIDA HUB - Oneida, Mohawk, Mid-State, Marcy, Hale Creek, Summit, Georgetown, Pharsalia, CNY Psych Ctr.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM
tsears1's Avatar
tsears1 tsears1 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 192
Thanks: 0
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Default Information to those who need it.. Hale Creek and Mohawk

Hello everyone,

My loved one just came home to me last week. I just wanted to offer up any information to those with inmates at Mohawk or Hale Creek/CASAT. My love was in both prisons and if I don't have the answers to your questions I am more than happy to ask him. I hated feeling lost and unable to find the answers when he was inside so I'd like to help anyone out who needs it. Feel free to PM me or just write on the thread.

xoxox
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Sheana15's Avatar
Sheana15 Sheana15 is offline
Say You Promise
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 50
Thanks: 12
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

How do the calling system work at hale creek?
__________________
We know everything about each other, but we still keep holding on...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 PM
tsears1's Avatar
tsears1 tsears1 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 192
Thanks: 0
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Default

At Hale Creek he shouldn't have any issues getting on the phone. I spoke to my boyfriend everyday, sometimes several times when off of work.

Phone calls last a half hour then the phone shuts off. If there is no one waiting to use the phone though he can call back as many times as he'd like.

My boyfriend said there are usually 2 phones per house. They normally turn on around 7 and off by 11. However, some COs will be a pain and leave them off whenever they feel like it. Or just not let you on. In any case, he never had any issues calling me or having to wait in line.

There isn't a phone schedule either. And they work through vconnect, as all NYS phones work. You establish an account online and prepay money. I believe it comes to $1.61 for a half hour call. $100 lasted me about 2.5 months on a 1/2hr call a day average.

ps. i'm responding to your PM as well
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Benji4toni Benji4toni is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Queens ny
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What bus goes from ny to mohawk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Missing_him_so Missing_him_so is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montgomery, NY USA
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My BF Just got to Hale Creek. He is in ASAT and a Computer/Work program. He said it is hard to get on the phones, they have phone lists now, at least in whatever housing he is in (ASAT Dorm I guess)... and I am going out of my mind. He was at Downstate and then Adirondack before this, he just got there 2 weeks ago, he has missed 3 days, I just heard from him half an hr ago finally after not hearing from him all day on Sunday, which killed me. I miss him so much it is tearing me apart. I started to cry because I was relieved to hear from him and he said I had to stop with the bullshit, I said its not bullshit, he said there is nothing to worry about there, I said its not just that I worry, I miss you I feel so lonely when you don't call, he said I love you but "I dont know what to tell you the phones here are impossible, they have lists, it is what it is" then said he would try to call tomorrow, stressed the try part... makes me anxious he won't again... I am losing my mind here he doesn't get that. I am stuck living in his house with his mother and I am so miserable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Missing_him_so Missing_him_so is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montgomery, NY USA
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question to clarify what I said in my post just now...

To Clarify, when he was in Downstate and then Adirondack, he didn't miss a single day calling, now at Hale Creek he has missed 3 days in 2 weeks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Momma Ann's Avatar
Momma Ann Momma Ann is offline
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 11,504
Thanks: 576
Thanked 7,376 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default

a dose of honesty from me: Geez the guy is taking ASAT and Training courses to try to get out and you are bugging him about missing a few calls? Back off a bit-stop smothering him. It is very hard to get to phones in many prisons. You have been lucky till now.

You are miserable? Then do something about it--volunteer, take an adult education course, go to the library. Get a PT job. Beeing this dependent on him for all your happiness will not be a good paradigm for when he gets home.

But he is doing what he needs to do--get up off your best intentions and do something too.
__________________
Momma Ann



When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-18-2013)
  #8  
Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Missing_him_so Missing_him_so is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montgomery, NY USA
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default wow...

Wow... thanks for being so harsh... I never said I complain to him... I was venting here because I didnt anywhere else. Now I feel like I can't even do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Ann View Post
a dose of honesty from me: Geez the guy is taking ASAT and Training courses to try to get out and you are bugging him about missing a few calls? Back off a bit-stop smothering him. It is very hard to get to phones in many prisons. You have been lucky till now.

You are miserable? Then do something about it--volunteer, take an adult education course, go to the library. Get a PT job. Beeing this dependent on him for all your happiness will not be a good paradigm for when he gets home.

But he is doing what he needs to do--get up off your best intentions and do something too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Momma Ann's Avatar
Momma Ann Momma Ann is offline
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 11,504
Thanks: 576
Thanked 7,376 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default

You talk about "it is killing you" and I am so miserable". I am simply saying you need to take responsibility for your own happiness do something to help yourself. Leaning on him for this is just not healthy for you or him. And when he gets out it won't get better if you are this dependent on him.

Sorry if that seems harsh. It is my opinion and I thought you needed to think about it.
__________________
Momma Ann



When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Missing_him_so Missing_him_so is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montgomery, NY USA
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Momma Ann

I have no support at home, and now I feel like I can't even talk about it here. I will delete my account if I can figure out how. The last place on earth I thought anyone would make me feel like that is here... you don't know me at all! You don't know my situation or what else is going on in my life. Ive been to 2 surgeries since he has been gone, i'm sick. I didn't whine about that though I talked about this because the circumstances have changed drastically since his transfer and I didnt know if that was normal or what, and with everything else going on it was hard to deal with, all I wanted was for someone to say its ok its normal dont worry. I have seen plenty of people saying the same things, but you don't attack them. Maybe, for in the future you shouldnt be so harsh if someone else needs to vent or is overwhelmed by all of this becaause in my case you made me feel worse... I thought if there was anywhere I wouldn't feel alone in this it would be here... I came here to find support. You made me feel the opposite of that. I guess I will go back to how it was. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM
sass4221's Avatar
sass4221 sass4221 is offline
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 5,367
Thanks: 3,600
Thanked 6,042 Times in 3,002 Posts
Default

I'm sorry Missing_him_so, but I agree with Momma Ann. You have to let go and not be so dependent on him for your happiness.

This is a hard road to follow. I could say it's not for the faint at heart but we all reach that low during an incarceration at one time or another. All prisons are not alike, the policies are not alike, daily life in each individual jail and prison is not alike.

Some of the people here can only get 1 phone call a week, some have to wait longer than that. That's why letters are so important too.

You are getting support here, but it's an honest and often hard wake up call. Those inside have it way harder than we do out here. He can't get emotional on the phone and hearing you cry can make him feel that way. He's trying the best he can to survive in there and do what he's supposed to do to try and do his time. Worrying about someone on the outside is usually a bit lower on their list of things to do. I'm sorry to say that but it's true.

You say you are staying with his mom; will that change? It's good of her to take you in. I'm sorry you've had surgery and are sick, I hope that all changes soon for you.

Find something to focus on besides him being locked up. Find yourself again, the you before him. 2 1/2 years will fly by.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sass4221 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-18-2013), Renee (10-18-2013)
  #12  
Old 10-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Momma Ann's Avatar
Momma Ann Momma Ann is offline
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 11,504
Thanks: 576
Thanked 7,376 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default

I did read the post and saw no questions. I would add one suggestion. Perhaps you would like to talk to a counsellor to help you with these issues. I think some outside input might help you. You could try a number of places with free programs if you are strapped for cash. Jewish Family services is one (you do not have to be Jewish.). Talking to a professional may be a real help.
__________________
Momma Ann



When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Danyelley18's Avatar
Danyelley18 Danyelley18 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SYRACUSE, NY
Posts: 28
Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Does anyone have any insight on when a person becomes eligible to be screened for CASAT. I know its been said it is 2.5 yrs from your earliest release date and that is to include merit time. Because the whole prison math is complicated to me. When would my LO be eligible if he was sentenced to a 4-8yrs? Hes been in since March 2016 and has 3 months of county time. I came up with the month of Oct 2016 but I am unsure if I read wrong or was informed incorrectly.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Ms Sunny Ms Sunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 918
Thanks: 1,806
Thanked 931 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyelley18 View Post
Does anyone have any insight on when a person becomes eligible to be screened for CASAT. I know its been said it is 2.5 yrs from your earliest release date and that is to include merit time. Because the whole prison math is complicated to me. When would my LO be eligible if he was sentenced to a 4-8yrs? Hes been in since March 2016 and has 3 months of county time. I came up with the month of Oct 2016 but I am unsure if I read wrong or was informed incorrectly.
2.6 yrs prior to earliest release date. Not merit, that's an earned date. They go by CR date.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Danyelley18's Avatar
Danyelley18 Danyelley18 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SYRACUSE, NY
Posts: 28
Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Maybe they changed things? Because when I wrote a letter to NYS DOCCS they did reply back with this... "Inmates who are serving sentences for drug offenses only, defined either in Article 220 or 221 of the NYS Penal Law, are time eligible to begin CASAT Phase I when they are 30 months to their Earliest Release Date. All otherwise eligible inmates meet time requirements for CASAT Phase I when they are 24 months to their earliest release date, to include the Merit eligibility date." My interpretation is that merit is pressumptive of completion of phase 1 of CASAT. Not sure if I'm correct because this is all new to me. But if that is correct does that mean he could attend in April 2017. My understanding is that they notify you 6mos prior meaning he may know if he's eligible in October to attend in April 2017???
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Diamond Dez's Avatar
Diamond Dez Diamond Dez is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York State
Posts: 511
Thanks: 84
Thanked 403 Times in 214 Posts
Default

My guy just went through this with his counselor regarding a program that he thought he would be eligible for; and his counselor told him that they actual go according to the conditional release date and not the merit release date. Go figure, since the merit release date is actually the earliest eligible release date.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Ms Sunny Ms Sunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 918
Thanks: 1,806
Thanked 931 Times in 404 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dez View Post
My guy just went through this with his counselor regarding a program that he thought he would be eligible for; and his counselor told him that they actual go according to the conditional release date and not the merit release date. Go figure, since the merit release date is actually the earliest eligible release date.
But merit is not guaranteed, CR is.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Ms Sunny Ms Sunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 918
Thanks: 1,806
Thanked 931 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyelley18 View Post
Maybe they changed things? Because when I wrote a letter to NYS DOCCS they did reply back with this... "Inmates who are serving sentences for drug offenses only, defined either in Article 220 or 221 of the NYS Penal Law, are time eligible to begin CASAT Phase I when they are 30 months to their Earliest Release Date. All otherwise eligible inmates meet time requirements for CASAT Phase I when they are 24 months to their earliest release date, to include the Merit eligibility date." My interpretation is that merit is pressumptive of completion of phase 1 of CASAT. Not sure if I'm correct because this is all new to me. But if that is correct does that mean he could attend in April 2017. My understanding is that they notify you 6mos prior meaning he may know if he's eligible in October to attend in April 2017???
It has to be at most 30 months to get CASAT, then transition into work release. Carat is 6 mos. Otherwise, they need to be outside of 2yrs to go into work release. I don't know your particulars, so I can't answer that part, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Danyelley18's Avatar
Danyelley18 Danyelley18 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SYRACUSE, NY
Posts: 28
Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
But merit is not guaranteed, CR is.
Okay so I did find out more information. If their on a violent bid they go by your CR date because they are not eligible for merit time. Because Phase 1 of CASAT satisfies your merit eligibility some inmates are allowed to use their Merit date as the "Earliest Release Date". This is because work release is Phase 2 of CASAT and it is Presumptive Release. Meaning they presume you will complete your merit by completing Phase 1 of CASAT. It was described to me as a loop hole nonviolent inmates found. Counselors cannot give an exact answer as the the eligibility because of all the different circumstances in each individual case. My hopes are my LO will be eligibile 30 mos from his merit date which I believe is April 2017. I will keep my fingers crossed for that because I believe its a needed program in his case!"Inmate will be eligible for enrollment in the CASAT program two years and six months prior to his merit parole eligibility. See Correction Law §§851(2) and 2(18)(ii). He asserts that he commenced this proceeding to compel his placement into the CASAT program and participation in all phases of the program, in compliance with the governing statues and the intent and will of the legislature, that inmates enrolled into the CASAT program administratively or pursuant to Penal Law §60.04(6), obtainearlier release while addressing their needs in a community based program located in a residential treatment facility."

Hopefully this helps-Can't promise it's accurate it's just information I found from doing months of research and trial and error with the DOCCS System lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics