Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions Topics & discussions about specific Prison & Jails in the state of Washington.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:08 PM

Thanked 1,462 Times in 799 Posts
Default GEO prison in Baldwin Michigan?

GEO says they're going to get a thousand Washington inmates for their Michigan facility. The DOC told the press it's not happening.

I'm trying to find out who's telling the truth by going through channels. Meantime, has anyone heard of anyone getting sent off to Michigan?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2016, 06:20 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,048 Times in 16,166 Posts

Since you can't post links yet, you can always pm the links to any Moderator. Yes, we need links for sources.

I've located 2 articles, but they are from last year. If any inmates were to be moved, they would have already been moved.

Overcrowding to force state to export prisoners to Michigan

Originally published June 2, 2015 at 8:42 pm Updated June 3, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Inside Washington’s 12 prisons, space is maxed out with every bed occupied, and officials expect the overcrowding to worsen.
To ease the problem, Department of Corrections Secretary Bernie Warner signed a contract last month with The Geo Group, a South Florida-based private corporation that runs prisons around the world. Geo Group plans to house up to 1,000 male Washington inmates at its prison in Baldwin, Mich.

Read the entire article HERE.

Washington Prisons Secretary Says No Plans To Ship Inmates Out-Of-State

May 26, 2015

The Washington state Department of Corrections has contracted with The GEO Group, Inc, a Florida-based private prison company, to house up to 1,000 prisoners in Michigan to ease overcrowding.
In a May 21 press release, The GEO Group said it expects to begin taking in Washington prisoners starting this fall. However, a contradictory statement from the Washington DOC said, “There are no current plans to utilize the contract.”
Washington DOC Secretary Bernard Warner reaffirmed that in an interview Tuesday. He said sending prisoners out-of-state remains a “last resort.”

Read the entire article HERE.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-29-2016), Minor activist (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 01:31 PM

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,799 Posts

Why in the world would they move inmates from another state here. Our prisons are full enough and they are closing one prison and have moved all those inmates to the already over full prisons. I don't know why they would do this.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:28 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,048 Times in 16,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Why in the world would they move inmates from another state here. Our prisons are full enough and they are closing one prison and have moved all those inmates to the already over full prisons. I don't know why they would do this.
Many states send some of their inmates to out-of-state prisons. Just look at California..they send inmates to 3 different states +/- (that I know of). Kentucky has a facility for West Virginia inmates yet Ky's prisons and county jails that house State inmates are backlogged and overflowing.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-29-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Many states send some of their inmates to out-of-state prisons. Just look at California..they send inmates to 3 different states +/- (that I know of). Kentucky has a facility for West Virginia inmates yet Ky's prisons and county jails that house State inmates are backlogged and overflowing.
Wow that's crazy. Just never heard of such a thing. Was just stating that with what's going on and prisons being over crowded now. I don't think they will be sending anyone here for a while.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 PM

Thanked 1,462 Times in 799 Posts

There are only a few dozen Washington DOC prisoners on out of state placement. So definitely no mass transfers to Michigan.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,829 Times in 3,080 Posts

For quite a few years, WA sent prisoners to Oregon. That was back before Oregon's Measure 11 filled our state prisons to overflowing though. I have a vague memory of WA building more bedspace after doing a financial analysis on the cost of sending inmates out of state versus building more facilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-13-2016)
Old 03-26-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
GEO says they're going to get a thousand Washington inmates for their Michigan facility. The DOC told the press it's not happening.

I'm trying to find out who's telling the truth by going through channels. Meantime, has anyone heard of anyone getting sent off to Michigan?
I know this is an older thread but I can tell you first hand that if GEO is talking they are lying.
patchouli (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM

Again there is no way this would happen in Michigan. They are trying to minimize our prisoners because we are way over crowded. Why would they bring more from another state.