Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oregon.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:42 AM

Smile Info on Mill Creek Correctional, Salem, Oregon?

GM everyone. My friend is looking to transferring to Mills Creek Correctional facility and I was wondering if anyone has any information on it. It would be much appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,687 Times in 2,047 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and thank you for joining us! I am not personally familiar with this facility but hopefully someone who is will comment soon

Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,831 Times in 3,080 Posts

I'm afraid I don't know much about it other than that it's relatively small (inmate population 300-ish), it's unfenced minimum, and it's overseen by the same people as those who run Santiam Correctional (which is only a few blocks away from it).

Here's a link to their webpage - scroll down on it for visiting information: https://www.oregon.gov/doc/OPS/PRISON/pages/mccf.aspx

Wish I could tell you more, but there are so few inmates and they release fairly soon after they get there (all things considered) so there aren't too many members here who have dealt with it.

Hopefully someone with a little more information than I have will post. Do you have specific questions, or are you just looking for general information?
Old 04-29-2017, 04:10 PM

Hello, we are just looking for info on the prison like, fights, jobs, size etc... Thank you
Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,831 Times in 3,080 Posts

It's pretty small, as Oregon prisons go. I believe it barely missed being shut down a few years ago, it's so small.

Since it's minimum and fenceless, there is a great deal of incentive for the guys there to behave well, so fights are not nearly as common as they are at the medium security prisons. Many inmates are transitioning out and passing through Mill Creek as part of their transition, or they are in there for short stays for relatively minor crimes. I would say that it's probably one of the safer places to be.

I'm not sure about jobs, though he will be required to have one. The usual "kitchen, laundry, janitorial" jobs will apply there, as in every other institution, what I'm not sure about is if they have any higher skilled jobs available. I believe they have a more significant number of alternate incarceration programs (AIPs), but again, I'm not certain about that either.

Unfortunately, with so few people going there, and so few of them staying there for more than 24 months at a time, it's difficult to get information directly from inmates - once they leave, most aren't overly enthusiastic about reliving those days.

You can look it up on Google Maps and see the layout of the place by using google earth. It really is quite small. Or look at the picture on their webpage.

I'm guessing he'll be safe there. Obviously there are no guarantees in life, inside or outside the fence, but the guys in there don't want to go back to medium nor do they want to add time to their sentences, so inmate-on-inmate violence is going to be rare. It is a working farm, so there's a good chance he'll get a job that has something to do with the farm.

I wish you both luck.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 892 Posts

Mill Creek is one of the prisons where the inmates can work outside of the gates. My ex worked for BLM while serving time there. He comments that it was one of the more laid back prisons.

I hope you get all the information you are looking for.
GingerM (04-30-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 02:20 PM

Awesome, information, i will relay it to him. Thank you again.
The Following User Says Thank You to trmom78R For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-02-2017)