Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Riker's Island Jail - New York
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Riker's Island Jail - New York Topics & Discussions relating to Riker's Island Jail.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:58 PM

Default Using the phone at Rikers Island

I read online somewhere that using the phone is always an issue because of the gangs. Something about the Bloods and Crypts taking control of the phones. Lots of fights over phone usage.

I'm wondering if this is an issue and if it is best not to use the phone at all?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Thanked 2,767 Times in 958 Posts

I think you need to stop worrying so much about what will happen during the 30 days you will be in prison and start worrying about what you will be doing after your release. The amount of time you have to spend in prison amounts to some people's extended vacations. Honestly you are just putting more stress on yourself than you need to.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Thanked 3,422 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyWhiteGuy View Post
I read online somewhere that using the phone is always an issue because of the gangs. Something about the Bloods and Crypts taking control of the phones. Lots of fights over phone usage.

I'm wondering if this is an issue and if it is best not to use the phone at all?
I get several calls a day. Sometimes there is a line. You need money on commissary to pay for calls. They go through Securus.

I believe sentenced inmates have limited number of calls per day.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

It's not the Crypts, it's the Crips. Get over it. Thousands of phone calls go out from Rikers every day, some of them made by white guys.
CenTexLyn (05-06-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (05-05-2017), JustBeingMe67 (05-05-2017), maur27 (05-06-2017), Ms Sunny (05-06-2017), safran (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:48 PM

This was from a post on Quora:

Quote:
Fights

I witnessed numerous fights in prison. A majority of the fights are always over phone privileges. In EMTC, most of the dormitories were run by gangs; specifically: Bloods and Latin Kings. Didn't see much Crypts. These gangs have their own internal system of running the phones. After 9pm, the gangs have a system called "Slot Time". Slot time means that specific gang members claim a specific time slot on the phone. Even if the individual decides they don't need to use the phone at their specific time, no one else can use it. You have to get permission from them. You can imagine how fights get started over this.
When I was arrested and locked up at the courthouse. There was only one phone available after you made bail. Of course my case was called last out of over 20 people who were locked up with me. I had about 10 minutes for someone to come down and bail me out or I was going to be sent to rikers, which at the time scared the crap out of me because I didn't know it wasn't as bad as I originally thought.

Some kid was hogging the phone and I could see how a fight could have broken out. He wasn't even using it to make bail.

I also saw a video one time of some guy talking about his time at rikers island and he said that when he tried to use the phone they wouldn't let him.

I'm just wondering about this whole phone deal.. I think I'm not going to use it at all if it will be limited.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:47 AM

Thanked 11,099 Times in 6,007 Posts

You need to be spending multiple hours a day in intensive counseling with a qualified provider. You ARE your worst nightmare. You actually make the catch-out from the first season of 60 Days In seem sane and rational...something I never expected anyone could do.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
yourself (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
You need to be spending multiple hours a day in intensive counseling with a qualified provider. You ARE your worst nightmare. You actually make the catch-out from the first season of 60 Days In seem sane and rational...something I never expected anyone could do.
Why because as a white skinny guy I'm worried about spending time in one of the most notorious jails in USA which is only 6% white. Why shouldn't I be worried?

Why shouldn't I get as much information as I can to be better informed about a situation where once locked up I'll only be able to deal with my situation on what I have learned on the outside.

Why are you even in this post if you are from Texas and don't know anything about Rikers Island? There is no need for you to come into a forum section you don't belong in to insult people when you don't even know anything about their state jail.

Last edited by SkinnyWhiteGuy; 05-06-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,776 Times in 7,602 Posts

Quote:
Why because as a white skinny guy I'm worried about spending time in one of the most notorious jails in USA which is only 6% white. Why shouldn't I be worried?

Why shouldn't I get as much information as I can to be better informed about a situation where once locked up I'll only be able to deal with my situation on what I have learned on the outside.

Why are you even in this post if you are from Texas and don't know anything about Rikers Island? There is no need for you to come into a forum section you don't belong in to insult people when you don't even know anything about their state jail.
This is the attitude that's going to get you into trouble. You do need counseling.

Your predicate belief system coupled with your constant catastrophizing (which includes the desire to make things worse than they are) added into your sense of superiority is what will get you killed. Your skinny, white ass will have nothing to do with it, though that's part of your problematic predicate belief system.

If phones have you so worried, don't use them. You can easily go 30 days without.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanked 11,099 Times in 6,007 Posts

Quote:
For the exact same reason as I did not let fears overwhelm me when I started at Eastham as a 20'ish white female right as it landed on national publications as "America's Toughest Prison"

Quote:
You have gone so far beyond Paralysis by Analysis...you NEED professional help.

Quote:
Do you really think that conditions I have witnessed first-hand on MULTIPLE facilities are THAT indifferent from what you are worrying about? Guess what...Texas is NOT the only place where I have been an expert witness qualified by the Courts. I have also had clients who are in the process here in Texas that were housed elsewhere...so while that is just as second-hand as what you are looking for, it is still information cataloged away for use in threads like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
safran (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 10:11 AM

I asked a specific question about the phones because before I get locked I am going to tell people to expect or not expect any call from me. If there could be problems when using the phone, like I discovered when first arrested and also from reading people describe their time at Rikers, then I'm going to let everyone know not to expect a call from me.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,963 Times in 4,564 Posts

Rather than trying to tell other people what they know and dont know , you need to thinkabout what you know about the prison system. It doesnt appear you know very much. I would get a therapist to give you some relaxation techniques to keep you calm while you complete your 30 days incarceration. Its not a long time and you will get through it .
Dont listen to sensational stories , dont fret about the phone and concentrate on getting your life back on track when you come out.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
safran (05-06-2017), yourself (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Thanked 3,422 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
I asked a specific question about the phones because before I get locked I am going to tell people to expect or not expect any call from me. If there could be problems when using the phone, like I discovered when first arrested and also from reading people describe their time at Rikers, then I'm going to let everyone know not to expect a call from me.
As I said, my guy calls everyday and multiple times a day. He waits on line. He gives up his spot if someone is distraught and need to call their LO. They give up their spot if he needs to get a call out. Only times there are no calls is if the phones are off during the day. Sometimes it is sure to a lock down and other times it is because they turn them off at specific times during the day. He always calls at 5 am because everyone is asleep and there is no line at all.

I'm sure there are things he hasn't told me, but the phone hasn't been an issue. He is there months now.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

Quote:
Look, guy, you are so far over the edge that you're looking like Wile E. Coyote about to realize the ground's gone away.

You are catastrophizing about the phones. How about if something happens to you and you need medical - try branching out and over-worrying about that. Then there's what if you chip a tooth...get your brain spinning about dental care.

You have over-thought this whole thing. You can't plan it, you have to remain flexible. The state of New York plans it, in so far as it plans at all. Just keep your nose out of the air, don't borrow, don't argue. Then, try to flow. That's going to be hard for you, but valuable. Allow. Permit. Soften. Honestly, that's the best answer anyone can give you.
safran (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,926 Posts

Oy vey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpd laughs II.jpg (4.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by safran; 05-06-2017 at 01:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (05-06-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Maybe you should have taken some boxing lessons instead of doing so much research online to freak out about. All your concerns stem around your safety, get prepared in that area if you can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sean’sWife82 For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (06-09-2017), nimuay (06-08-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM

Thanked 1,462 Times in 799 Posts

What did you find out while you were there?